The Student Room Group

Being gay...and Muslim.

Yeah, I kniw the title is a shocker but what can I say? Iv'e been this way fir almost four years now.

At first when my sexul attractions were toward other guys I was sorta like 'meh' and shoved it to thr side and labeled it as a cause of out-of-whack tesosterone levels in my body but as time went on years passed and comes year 11. Although I had no relationships like of the sexual kind, or platonic either, I was still having those sexual attractions to guys so well I knew I was defo gay! All happy? Yeah, no sit down love.

As you all pretty much know being gay in Islam is like a massive MASSIVE sin that well, nobody should commit. Yet here I am, face*. After that, I fell into a huge spiral of delression, which has worsend and also has brought on some mild night anxiey.

I told friends and what have you all was fine but telling family? Gurl, you wanna die? Thankfully I've kept those two worlds from ckashing and now I'm in my first year of college and still the two worlds are appart, thankfully.

I also wanted to talk about bod and its image and what have you not. I have always, and still am, a fairly husky guy and adding to the fact I'm hairy as f**k at 16 with strech marks covering my abdomen I've always been so ashamed of my body. I kinda did show signs of BDD (Body dysmorphic disorder) and they do come up evry so often but they go.

I think the real question here is what do I do? Like will I find another guy who doesn't mind my body and what do I do about me being well, a gay teen muslim?

Scroll to see replies

Well in terms of your appearance worries, they are very likely connected to your depression which I'm sure you'll get past, although regardless, you can make changes to how you look and feel if you really want to so don't stress. As for being gay, I understand that coming from a Muslim background will make this difficult for you, but in terms of being gay in the outside world away from your family most people will be accepting and you can definitely accept yourself and still follow your religion. I don't know how extreme your family is but if they are extremely against it, it may be easier for you to wait until you have left home before telling them? Obviously there's absolutely nothing wrong with being gay but you need to do what's best for yourself. I wish you the best of luck!
Hmm... I thought it was anal sex which was a sin in Islam, although that's not even a gay sex act; just an act more typical in same-sex male relationships.

Some people might not like what I'm going to say, but I personally think it's best if you ignore Islam on this matter, and just follow your heart. I think it's best if you reach your own decisions and conclusions. So you needn't worry if you believe Islam says it's wrong; it shouldn't matter.

You sound like an attractive guy
...a fairly husky guy
...hairy as f**k
Honestly, the way you wrote that made you sound aesthetically-pleasing.

Are you sure these "stretch marks" are not just your mind and your anxiety about your body working overdrive, and making someone not there appear like they are?

And so what if you have? Just do your best.

It's very easy to find fault in your own body, when everyone else won't even realise or recognise them.

What to do:
- Don't tell family if you think they'll react badly, at all. You are at the moment dependent on them and you need to look out for yourself.
- Don't worry about finding a guy who "doesn't mind your body." I'm sure you're body is fine, but you need to quell this anxiety. look in the mirror and complement your own features. Stop worrying. It's unneeded, and not doing any good. Also remember that confidence etc. is massively attractive.
- Always follow your heart over following Islam (sorry if you disagree.) You decide what's right and wrong, not that religion. Never betray yourself for it.

Feel free to ask me about anything, either in your thread or by PM.
Reply 3
Original post by Blondie987
Well in terms of your appearance worries, they are very likely connected to your depression which I'm sure you'll get past, although regardless, you can make changes to how you look and feel if you really want to so don't stress. As for being gay, I understand that coming from a Muslim background will make this difficult for you, but in terms of being gay in the outside world away from your family most people will be accepting and you can definitely accept yourself and still follow your religion. I don't know how extreme your family is but if they are extremely against it, it may be easier for you to wait until you have left home before telling them? Obviously there's absolutely nothing wrong with being gay but you need to do what's best for yourself. I wish you the best of luck!

Yeah, I guess your right about body apperance being linked to my depression stuff. I meam I am trying to make changes: I'm cutting crap out of my diet so that might work, who knows?

As for being gay and still following my religion, that's genuinley somthing I've never heard before. I guess I find it weird because I've always been taught that being gay in Islam is ,well as I explianed before, is like an MASSIVE sin, but hey you never know. And to be honest I don't think I'm gonna ever tell them, just gonna move out and start a life of my own. LOL 😂

THANK YOU! :smile:
Reply 4
your ****ed
Original post by Hasan_ali
Yeah, I guess your right about body apperance being linked to my depression stuff. I meam I am trying to make changes: I'm cutting crap out of my diet so that might work, who knows?

As for being gay and still following my religion, that's genuinley somthing I've never heard before. I guess I find it weird because I've always been taught that being gay in Islam is ,well as I explianed before, is like an MASSIVE sin, but hey you never know. And to be honest I don't think I'm gonna ever tell them, just gonna move out and start a life of my own. LOL 😂

THANK YOU! :smile:

No problem, and just to let you know in regards to your religion, you are literally entitled to believe whatever you want and follow any religion or none, there will be people who say that it contradicts itself but all religions adapt to changes in society and imo that's what it has to do with homosexuality, glad I could give you some advice! :biggrin:
If your religion disagrees with the way you are, I'd consider having a long hard think about the reasons you subscribe to your religion, rather than try to change yourself to suit it.
Reply 7
Being gay and a muslim just doesn't go together, it's like having vanilla ice cream and sausage.
Original post by XcitingStuart
Hmm... I thought it was anal sex which was a sin in Islam, although that's not even a gay sex act; just an act more typical in same-sex male relationships.

It depends on the sect or Muslim.
Reply 9
Original post by XcitingStuart

Some people might not like what I'm going to say, but I personally think it's best if you ignore Islam on this matter, and just follow your heart. I think it's best if you reach your own decisions and conclusions. So you needn't worry if you believe Islam says it's wrong; it shouldn't matter.

You sound like an attractive guy
...a fairly husky guy
...hairy as f**k
Honestly, the way you wrote that made you sound aesthetically-pleasing.

Are you sure these "stretch marks" are not just your mind and your anxiety about your body working overdrive, and making someone not there appear like they are?

And so what if you have? Just do your best.

It's very easy to find fault in your own body, when everyone else won't even realise or recognise them.

What to do:
- Don't tell family if you think they'll react badly, at all. You are at the moment dependent on them and you need to look out for yourself.
- Don't worry about finding a guy who "doesn't mind your body." I'm sure you're body is fine, but you need to quell this anxiety. look in the mirror and complement your own features. Stop worrying. It's unneeded, and not doing any good. Also remember that confidence etc. is massively attractive.
- Always follow your heart over following Islam (sorry if you disagree.) You decide what's right and wrong, not that religion. Never betray yourself for it.

Feel free to ask me about anything, either in your thread or by PM.

To be honest I have no idea, I've just been taught that being gay like all together is a bad thing...woops 😂😂

And ignoring it? Damn, I've never thought about that much I mean it's crossed my mind but that's it. Maybe it's the inevitable thing that I may have to do but I'll let time tell what I need to do.

And thank you???😂 I think rephrasing that is better, I'm over weight but strong and hairy but then my legs become like all strong and big which is so weird but hey, I'm not complaining about my legs.

Ans to be honest I don't think it is, if then it means that I've had anxiety for four years then which is just weird. And I guess your right, just need to find a guy who'll accept my flaws and accept them or maybe it's a case of finding the good of my body? And yeah, I think a guy would find self confidence e.c.t attractive and what not.

That's what I plan on doing, ain't gonna tell them and I'm never gonna tell them. Going to move out and start a life of my own.

I don't disagree, I kinda agree with you. If you don't follow your heart, then well your gonna be depressed.

Thank you, and I will! 😊
It's only gay sexual acts that are forbidden in Islam
Just don't have sex your whole life and you'll be fine
I see the Islamophobes are out quick to tell you to ditch your religion.

Can't believe how quickly you fell into their traps.
Reply 12
Original post by _Bright Eyes
If your religion disagrees with the way you are, I'd consider having a long hard think about the reasons you subscribe to your religion, rather than try to change yourself to suit it.

I know what you mean, I think I do at some point which is long overdue!
I don't understand why people still insist on following their religion this way, if it affects them this much.

You are genuinely going to need to come to a conclusion that a genuinely loving God would accept you regardless of your sexuality, and to repress something like this on the off-chance that a God (that may or may not exist) disapproves is ridiculous.
Reply 14
Original post by Noodle0
Being gay and a muslim just doesn't go together, it's like having vanilla ice cream and sausage.

Thats what im saying, I dont know what to do!
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous
It's only gay sexual acts that are forbidden in Islam
Just don't have sex your whole life and you'll be fine

Lol, i dont know i can do that. I have a high sex drive sooo 😂😂
Yeah, I kniw the title is a shocker but what can I say? Iv'e been this way fir almost four years now.

At first when my sexul attractions were toward other guys I was sorta like 'meh' and shoved it to thr side and labeled it as a cause of out-of-whack tesosterone levels in my body but as time went on years passed and comes year 11. Although I had no relationships like of the sexual kind, or platonic either, I was still having those sexual attractions to guys so well I knew I was defo gay! All happy? Yeah, no sit down love.

As you all pretty much know being gay in Islam is like a massive MASSIVE sin that well, nobody should commit. Yet here I am, face*. After that, I fell into a huge spiral of delression, which has worsend and also has brought on some mild night anxiey.

I told friends and what have you all was fine but telling family? Gurl, you wanna die? Thankfully I've kept those two worlds from ckashing and now I'm in my first year of college and still the two worlds are appart, thankfully.

I also wanted to talk about bod and its image and what have you not. I have always, and still am, a fairly husky guy and adding to the fact I'm hairy as f**k at 16 with strech marks covering my abdomen I've always been so ashamed of my body. I kinda did show signs of BDD (Body dysmorphic disorder) and they do come up evry so often but they go.

I think the real question here is what do I do? Like will I find another guy who doesn't mind my body and what do I do about me being well, a gay teen muslim?

Hi

Since you're Muslim...
Here is what I found for you...

What is forbidden in Islam- Homosexuality or practicing Homosexuality?

Please note that there is a difference to actually being involved in a homosexual act -which is a sin - from having sexual feelings that you try to control, that you don't express in public, which is not sinful if you try to control them. If medical or psychological counseling helps, then get it, but know that Allah is The Curer, and the Qur'an is your best companion. Give charity, pray, make dua', and Allah will not leave you alone. You have got to believe in the infinite amount of Mercy Allah provides to His servants, and you should also realize that He forgives, if He wishes, all types of sins, except the sin of disbelieving in Him.What is sinful in homosexuality is the actual sexual act between the couple of a similar sex. if you transform your desires into a struggle and a challenge to overcome it and not physically commit it, then insha'Allah, you will get the reward for it.Don't lose hope! Fear Allah (S.W.T), ask Him for help earnestly, never give up, and do something to get rid of even the idea of homosexuality. Try to avoid all of the circumstances that trigger your homosexual feelings: don't get alone with an attractive man, always be in the company of others, don't get involved in deep / personal discussions with any person that you may think will trigger your homosexual feeling. Stay away from any other people who have similar feelings. Don't even think in such an idea of this subject, keep yourself busy in different useful thing, and stay away of anything that remind you of homosexuality. Keep a POSITIVE thinking in your mind and keep saying to yourself that you can do something about it. Don't ever say I can't. Remember with every step you are taking toward getting rid of this habit you are getting help and reward from Allah (S.W.T) and you are annoying the shaytan.Also for many Homosexual Muslims the concept of getting married is unappealing. Having this feeling should not prevent you from considering to get married in the future. You will discover that marriage is more than simply fulfilling your sexual needs... Your wife will insha'Allah bring you peace, tranquility, joy, security, and many other feelings that every human being needs, irrelevant of their "sexual partners". Also, while Muslims are not allowed to lie, you should keep this feeling to yourself and not share it with her or your parents for many reasons... Be patient and make it a lifelong struggle for yourself... You will see how rewarding it is at the end... Remember, there is in this world many compulsive gamblers, alcoholics, adulterers, thieves, but many of them control it and refrain from doing it... If they aren't Muslims and have the will to do it, you are a Muslim and you have Allah on your side when you seek His Help. There is no way you will fail insha'Allah...
To be honest I have no idea, I've just been taught that being gay like all together is a bad thing...woops 😂😂

And ignoring it? Damn, I've never thought about that much I mean it's crossed my mind but that's it. Maybe it's the inevitable thing that I may have to do but I'll let time tell what I need to do.

And thank you???😂 I think rephrasing that is better, I'm over weight but strong and hairy but then my legs become like all strong and big which is so weird but hey, I'm not complaining about my legs.

Ans to be honest I don't think it is, if then it means that I've had anxiety for four years then which is just weird. And I guess your right, just need to find a guy who'll accept my flaws and accept them or maybe it's a case of finding the good of my body? And yeah, I think a guy would find self confidence e.c.t attractive and what not.

That's what I plan on doing, ain't gonna tell them and I'm never gonna tell them. Going to move out and start a life of my own.

I don't disagree, I kinda agree with you. If you don't follow your heart, then well your gonna be depressed.

Thank you, and I will! 😊

Yw. :smile:

You can tell them if you want to; it's just not advisable at a time when you depend on them so much.
Because depends on their views on homosexuality and what not, it can go really bad really fast (such as being kicked out.)
Learn to love yourself.
And just don't let Islam be shackles on you.
Reply 18
Original post by Anonymous
I see the Islamophobes are out quick to tell you to ditch your religion.

Can't believe how quickly you fell into their traps.

I think you know an islamaohobe when you see one, and I havent fallen into any traps really. I may sound feebke and gullible to you but hey!
Reply 19
Original post by Inexorably
I don't understand why people still insist on following their religion this way, if it affects them this much.

You are genuinely going to need to come to a conclusion that a genuinely loving God would accept you regardless of your sexuality, and to repress something like this on the off-chance that a God (that may or may not exist) disapproves is ridiculous.

I think I do. I always think that gays just suddenly didn't pop up auddenly. They were always here, just closeted!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending