The Student Room Group

Advice on getting into medicine

Hi guys,

I'm really hoping someone can help me here. I left school in S5 with AAAAB Highers and went to uni to do a Law and Business course. Hated the uni that I went to because to be honest, felt like I'd worked so hard to get my highers and I'd ended up in a place that did not challenge me a fraction of what school did. So I'm currently studying English Literature and Politics at Glasgow Uni. Due to personal circumstances, I've spent a bit of time in and out hospitals the past couple of years, and have experienced a lot of illness within the family. This has really got me interested in medicine. I know it sounds like a weird jump from Law to English to now Medicine, but I'm only 18 and I'm definitely not too old to change my mind on career. Plus I'm the most determined person you'll ever meet, and once I set my mind on something I can't stop until I've got it!!

However, obviously leaving school in S5 wasn't the smartest move for Medicine. My school made us pick our subjects in S1, when I had absolutely no clue what I wanted to do and due to a nasty teacher who ridiculed me about my weight back then (way to go to destroy the self esteem of a 12 year old!), I immediately ruled out Biology. So that, too, goes against me as I don't even have an Int 2 in Biology. I also don't have any advanced highers, which is a requirement for many courses. I thought I'd found a wee gold nugget with Dundee's Pre-Med course, but of course, just my luck, you can't have a higher in chemistry... and guess who has a higher in chemistry? Me!
So basically, I feel like I am absolutely snookered. I was thinking about going back to college for a year after completing this first year of English Lit & Politics, to maybe get a couple more highers in possibly physics and bio, and resit my Chem to get an A. And I'm wondering if the credits from the first year of English/Politics would count as like advanced highers because they're the same level. But I just feel like it's way too messy and that I would never ever get in and waste a hell of a lot of time even trying.
But surely there's got to be someone who's in the same boat? Or at least been in it? I'm too young for SWAP courses to get back into education, I'm too old to go back to bloody school! The only thing I've seen online is a Pre-Med course in the Caribbean, but hopefully there's something closer to home! I'm planning on emailing the medical admissions at my own uni to see what they can advise, but I'm just wondering if by some miracle anyone on here has been in/ is in / knows someone in the same position?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
S :smile:
It is not impossible. I left school with AABBCC and got a 2:2 in psych then a 2:1 in nursing. Currently applying for med in a really round about route. I had issues with depression growing up which impacted my studies and self esteem and it is now, as an adult I feel I am ready to pursue medicine. Coming from other areas also adds a level of maturity to the profession that medical schools look for.

If you are studying at uni at the moment I would suggest aim for a 1st (2:1 at least) and you are able to apply for Grad entry courses. Some courses in England are only 4 years and offer reduced fees (but are crazy competitive...just like all medicine really).

The up side to grad entry courses is they vet you based on GAMSAT score or UKCAT. I would advice start looking into studying for these as soon as possible. Most grad entry courses don't look at your school results at all. I have applied to SGUL, Nottingham, Exeter and Plymouth. Scottish Unis wouldn't touch me as I got a 2:2 in my first degree.

Start getting shadowing and other work experience under your belt as soon as you can and keep records of what you did and what you got from it. Get the placement to do you a short letter on letter headed paper too as some Unis ask for proof of work experience.
Chiming in with a positive experience regarding the non-trad route. I had sub par A Levels and became a makeup artist and photographer, not exactly a logical pathway. I went to uni aged 24 and got a first so it made medicine a possibility. With a 2:1 or first you have quite a good selection of options and you can try both the GAMSAT and UKCAT. In addition to the ones Lyra mentioned you could also look at Warwick, Newcastle and Swansea. I believe Cambridge also accept a B grade in A Level/Higher Chemistry if you apply with an Arts/Humanities degree.

Good luck, it's tough but entirely possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending