The Student Room Group

Student accused of rape despite the alleged victim sexting him afterwards

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Little Popcorns
Read up my last reply

Honestly you're just making yourself look stupid. God knows how you've managed to start an argument over nothing at all. Then somehow you bring 'meninism' into it and put words into peoples mouths.

What exactly is your issue? Is it the news article on rape in a news and current affairs section (in which case you'd be an idiot. If articles on alleged rape make you upset then get off this part of TSR)

Is it people advocating rape? (In which case you'd still be an idiot because no one has done that)

What exactly is your point and what has you assblasted?

All you did in the reply you're referring to is generalise men and accuse us of feeling like we're entitled to any hole they want. Stupidest thing I've read in a long while.
Original post by Lawliettt
And straight away this favours the student.

Intercourse was clearly there.

Going off what the article has told us, her sexting, sending nudes blah blah then going on to continue their relationship afterwards shows consent was there. The former could be proven as they'd be saved in phone messages.

So once again, doesn't everything heavily favour the male? It seems like she consented and it was just another day. Then when her boyfriend found out weeks or months later (article doesn't state timescales), her mindset changed and she thinks that he was forcing himself upon her. Which considering the fact that everything was completely normal after that incident, is suspicious to say the least.

I'd bet money that no one will be charged as a result of this case

You don't mean charged, you mean convicted.

Your summary is accurate save in one glaring respect. You again ignore the key issue, which is her ability to consent.

Her suggestions that she was "crazy drunk" and couldn't remember anything until morning do not (unless you have seen any other reports) appear to have been the subject of serious challenge by the defendant and neither side seems to be having a fight as to her actual state of intoxication. It looks to me that the defence have conceded that the prosecution will get home on that issue and the defence case will be that even if she was incapable of consenting he reasonably believed that she consented. Both sides are using the messages to try and support their respective arguments as to his reasonable belief.
what has you assblasted?

Sorry didn't quite catch the rest of that reply...

Caught the fact you did a cheeky edit though.
Reply 43
Sorry didn't quite catch the rest of that reply...

Caught the fact you did a cheeky edit though.

Return to the depths of tumblr where you came from.

I still don't know what has you upset.
I really hate the way they publish his name, location, and picture when he hasn't been convicted... If he turns out to be innocent this kind of screws him over. :[
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 45
don't knw bout y'all but if someone raped me i wouldn't have any contact with them afterwards let alone sext ¬_¬
maybe thats just me...
Original post by lledrith
I really hate the way they publish his name, location, and picture when he hasn't been convicted... If he turns out to be innocent this kind of screws him over. :[
This

Return to the depths of tumblr where you came from.

I still don't know what has you upset.

Sorry don't talk **** I'm used to little teenage meninism waffles I went into default mode but if you aren't making this a women vs men situation then I'm fine. I don't live off tumblr, I don't go on tumblr. I'm used to the kids on here doing their worst if you are indeed the exception then sorry.
Ahh the smell of hypocrisy and double standards.

I wonder why some of the people in this thread didn't carry the whole 'she's a crazy bitch claiming rape for no reason' thing over to the migrant threads :moon:
Original post by limetang
A wonderful fact about our justice system (and ANY justice system worth its salt) is that it's open. We can see what's going, we can be aware of what went on, what the evidence was etc. so that we can see whether things are being done properly, and can make our own minds up if we think they aren't.

Except the media that presents these cases is usually biased and the Daily Mail will take the most sensationalist part and twist it to thier own agenda.

And Callum is right, consent is delivered prior (or during intercourse) it is not granted afterward. Consent can be withdrawn at ANY time including during the act. If the sex continues after the other says no - then it is rape.

As to whether she would continue to have consensual sex after a rape. This DOES happen. Quite a bit. It happens a lot in abusive relationships.
Reply 49
This

Sorry don't talk **** I'm used to little teenage meninism waffles I went into default mode but if you aren't making this a women vs men situation then I'm fine. I don't live off tumblr, I don't go on tumblr. I'm used to the kids on here doing their worst if you are indeed the exception then sorry.

So.... are you going to explain to everyone why you've diverted the topic as a result of being mad at god knows what or do you just talk **** on the internet for the sake of it?

For the third and last time, what exactly are you mad at? And what's meninism got to do with this thread.... stop going off topic.

I honestly feel embarrassed for you.

Now we really do have a rape culture at universities.

A culture of women making false rape accusations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So.... are you going to explain to everyone why you've diverted the topic as a result of being mad at god knows what or do you just talk **** on the internet for the sake of it?

For the third and last time, what exactly are you mad at? And what's meninism got to do with this thread.... stop going off topic.

I honestly feel embarrassed for you.

I explained. Now you're dragging it out. Shush.
I think it's quite confusing because if you're seeing someone or in a relationship, consent is kind of implied. That doesn't mean rape can't happen in a relationship but it's quite difficult to see how this particular situation could be construed as rape.

For example, when me and my boyfriend have sex I don't consent to him. Sometimes I'm drunk and don't remember sex all that clearly but I know we did it. It's sort of implied from us being together and having sex regularly that means there's no need for me to officially consent every time we have sex.

If a guy I was seeing or a boyfriend actually raped me. They forced themselves onto me even though I was saying no then I would stop seeing or being with that person because it's unacceptable. I understand that relationships and marriages can get into a cycle of abuse and it's much more difficult but this girl was only seeing the defendant? Her case would be much more robust if she had not continued to sext him and have sex with him afterwards and accuse him of rape in the first instance. It just doesn't add up.
Reply 53
I obviously don't know all the facts of the case but what I have read and heard I don't think there is enough to convict.
Original post by callum_law
It would lead very silly people to that assumption.

If that is a silly assumption, then when would such an assumption not be silly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
and this is a case where people accused of rape should have their identities protected unless they are convicted.
Original post by mmm778899
and this is a case where people accused of rape should have their identities protected unless they are convicted.

This is a case that exposes the competing issues very well indeed.

He is now being traduced in the press but the second victim, who was unaware of her alleged assailant's identity, only came forward because of the publicity in this case. If his identity had been protected, he would not now be standing trial for the alleged attack on her.
Original post by nulli tertius
This is a case that exposes the competing issues very well indeed.

He is now being traduced in the press but the second victim, who was unaware of her alleged assailant's identity, only came forward because of the publicity in this case. If his identity had been protected, he would not now be standing trial for the alleged attack on her.

And supposing he is acquitted of ask charges people will forget the allegations were ever made?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
And supposing he is acquitted of ask charges people will forget the allegations were ever made?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly and that is why there is a significant issue here. However it is immature not to realise that there are two sides to a very difficult question here.

Personally, I would publish. I am not convinced people do say "there is no smoke without fire" Where celebrities have been acquitted of serious offences, the allegations do not seem to follow them. The public respects the acquittal. I appreciate celebrities are not the same as the ordinary public but where a taint continues to hang that is usually because there is some undisputed disagreeable conduct despite the aquittal of the crime.
Original post by silverbolt
Except the media that presents these cases is usually biased and the Daily Mail will take the most sensationalist part and twist it to thier own agenda.

And Callum is right, consent is delivered prior (or during intercourse) it is not granted afterward. Consent can be withdrawn at ANY time including during the act. If the sex continues after the other says no - then it is rape.

As to whether she would continue to have consensual sex after a rape. This DOES happen. Quite a bit. It happens a lot in abusive relationships.

Which is a problem with how we get our information and is IN FACT a reason for us to be skeptical of the verdict of every jury that sits, precisely because there isn't any simple way for us to see what has happened in a trial. Our justice is insufficiently open. Though I grant this is digressing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending