uEQFP.jpg

found this on reddit.
whats your take?
agree or disagree?

Scroll to see replies

Bump
Maths Degree: The line is literally the time axis
Reply 3
It honestly boils down to whether or not you enjoy your subject. If you don't enjoy arts, you're going to have a pretty bad time regardless. But post graduation I assume the graph is alluding to financial situation which I agree with, I think 99% of arts majors will struggle.
Reply 4
agree
plus engineering is hot so win-win
Reply 5
Original post by batoot
agree
plus engineering is hot so win-win

I have applied for Mechanical Engineering
my opinion:
download.png
Original post by GUMI
It honestly boils down to whether or not you enjoy your subject. If you don't enjoy arts, you're going to have a pretty bad time regardless. But post graduation I assume the graph is alluding to financial situation which I agree with, I think 99% of arts majors will struggle.

ive always wondered why anyone would take art considering the career prospects.
maybe im biased because im going to be studying electrical engineering :smile:
Original post by imsoanonymous123
Maths Degree: The line is literally the time axis

why? i thought maths was well sought out.
Reply 9
Original post by BlackSweetness
ive always wondered why anyone would take art considering the career prospects.
maybe im biased because im going to be studying electrical engineering :smile:

Actually I had a dilemma like this a year ago, I wasn't sure whether to pursue drawing or programming. And in fact when I was making my decision I spoke with a lot of artists who said they wish they had taken something with better career prospects and just kept art as a hobby.
uEQFP.jpg

found this on reddit.
whats your take?
agree or disagree?

Typical nonsense you get from the STEM-Master-race circlejerk :rolleyes:
Will a STEM degree lead to better job prospects? Possibly. Is that worth it if you have no interest in STEM subjects? Obviously not. If these self-professed STEM geniuses used their heads for a moment they might realise that.
Original post by GUMI
Actually I had a dilemma like this a year ago, I wasn't sure whether to pursue drawing or programming. And in fact when I was making my decision I spoke with a lot of artists who said they wish they had taken something with better career prospects and just kept art as a hobby.

i always thought that.
if i was an artist i would prefer a typical office job with good money and open an arts studio at the side.
better work like balance, instead of going into debt with something that would likely not get me a job at all.
Original post by Plagioclase
Typical nonsense you get from the STEM-Master-race circlejerk :rolleyes:
Will a STEM degree lead to better job prospects? Possibly. Is that worth it if you have no interest in STEM subjects? Obviously not. If these self-professed STEM geniuses used their heads for a moment they might realise that.

Passion does not pay the bills, nothing wrong with keeping a hobby as a hobby and when it takes off, doing it full time.
seems more like Arts students really should have thought about the way reality is.
I mostly agree with the graph. My family is mostly made up of engineers (civil, mechanical, chemical, forensic) and whilst they said that uni was hellish, they graduated and have had happy lives (due to job satisfaction and healthy wages).

I know people that have done well though with art degrees so it is not always true that they lead unhappy lives post graduation.
My aunt studied philosophy at uni and then got a job with the Ministry of Defence. She climbed the ranks to a very powerful position and travelled Europe with her job.
Original post by evalilyXOX
I mostly agree with the graph. My family is mostly made up of engineers (civil, mechanical, chemical, forensic) and whilst they said that uni was hellish, they graduated and have had happy lives (due to job satisfaction and healthy wages).

I know people that have done well though with art degrees so it is not always true that they lead unhappy lives post graduation.
My aunt studied philosophy at uni and then got a job with the Ministry of Defence. She climbed the ranks to a very powerful position and travelled Europe with her job.

Thats awesome. that seems to be the exception but not the rule, i work at a call centre part time (until i go to uni) and a lot of people i see working there took an arts related degree and couldnt find a job. i undertand it works out for some people, but i dont understand the thinking behind blindly pursuing a hobby as a career KNOWING the awful job prospects.
I'm sure Damien Hirst cries himself to sleep every night over his decision not to study engineering.
Original post by Quantex
I'm sure Damien Hirst cries himself to sleep every night over his decision not to study engineering.

exception, not the rule
Nope, not necessarily, you have the unemployed engineers, who then get a job somewhere, not doing at all what they would have liked to do and have next to them the art major with a better wage. The problem is a lot of art degrees still allow you to do awesome careers afterwards, you just have to be a bit more creative than just sitting at uni and analyzing poems.
Passion does not pay the bills, nothing wrong with keeping a hobby as a hobby and when it takes off, doing it full time.
seems more like Arts students really should have thought about the way reality is.

Which is extremely easy to say for you, as someone whose passion presumably is in engineering. Consider for a moment a world where the creative arts are in demand and the sciences aren't; you absolutely hate the creative arts, they make your life a misery and you can't wait to drop those subjects and get on with your passion, the physical sciences. Except everyone is telling you that your talents are useless and a waste of time, and that the only way you can be successful in life is to drop all the subjects you love and spend the rest of your life doing a job in a field you absolutely hate. Are you seriously telling me you'd agree?
exception, not the rule

Maybe, but if you've got genuine ability, go for it. If not, go for something more practical.

Quick Reply

Latest