The Student Room Group

Russian Pronunciation : Help needed please...

Hi/privet :biggrin:

I was wondering whether any of you russian speakers could help me out here.

I am currently learning Russian and it seems to be going well. However when I speak to my russian friends they say sometimes my speech is really heavily accented. I think is because my pronunciation of certain things are wrong....

in particular Ц....pronunced "ts"?
Щ...pronunced "shch"?

Also in terms of written russian and spelling what is the difference between Ю and y....when do you know when to use which?

Thanks for any help you can provide...sorry if it seems a silly question lol :biggrin:
Reply 1
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=118441

yea...its kinda pronounced "ts"...think of the other one as "che" as in "Che guevara"

in terms of "Ю" and "Y"...there is a rule which you should know:

после "ча-ща чу-щу" всегда пушется букви "а" или "у".
есть только несколько слов усклучения : "парашют"...их надо вючить...для них нет правил. (недавно в парламенте предлозили поменять ето правило и убратъ слова изклучения.

ps sorry for the mistakes..i was using this program and may have made some errors but the point should be made clear.

ill try to look up the "exceptions" on google for you :smile:

have a look at this:

http://www.google.ru/search?hl=ru&newwindow=1&q=%D1%87%D0%B0-%D1%89%D0%B0+%D1%87%D1%83-%D1%89%D1%83+%D1%81%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B0+%D0%B8%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%BB%D1%8E%D1%87%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%8F&btnG=%D0%9F%D0%BE%D0%B8%D1%81%D0%BA&lr=lang_ru

btw...out of interest..where do you live :smile:?
Reply 2
Hmmm, I use the same program as abrp to type in Russian, it is also excellent since it checks grammar and spelling. And in terms of writing, it is just a matter of experience. Try to read more books and listen to Russian speech more often. After that u will start differentiating the ю and y….They are not that hard ...(I have problems with ъ ь щ ш, I never know what to put and I think many native speakers dnt know either) :smile:

Gd luck:rolleyes:
Reply 3
there are 3 words which use ю (the exceptions):

брошюра
парашют
жюри

hope that helps :confused:
Reply 4
Saskia-

Also in terms of written russian and spelling what is the difference between Ю and y....when do you know when to use which?

normally i consider Ю as an english 'u' (read it as You, or 'u' in use)
and a y as an italian 'u' (like in Ulisse, or 'oo' in book)
i hope it helped :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending