The Student Room Group

Cambridge Rejects 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

Is there a Cambridge re-applicants' thread?

I also got rejected from Lucy Cavendish for English, but I was expecting it... I'm not from the UK and I don't get taught close reading or literary theory. I asked for feedback and it was just what I expected: my personal statement (and the whole UCAS application) was impressive, my test essay was also good (although it wasn'T well structured and there were some "critical inaccuracies") and my first interview was also good. It's my subject interview where I fell down. As I couldn't travel to Cambridge for interview, they interviewed me online, and there were some technical issues which might have affected my performance so they asked Wolfson to interview me once again on their behalf, and... just as I expected, I do have the motivation, the passion and the willingness to learn, but I don't have the kind of grounding in English they expect applicants to have. I know this is going to sound a bit mean, but I'm going ot say it anyway. Although you got rejected by Cambridge, you can still go to other unies because you're eligible for a maintenance loan so you don't have to worry about accommodation costs. I've got 3 unconditional offers and one conditional one (I applied to Durham, Exeter, UEA and York), but I had to turn down all my offers because none of these unies offer the funding (or the disability support) I need, or even if they do, I couldn't afford support if I expected my Exeter offer, for example. Just to make this clear, I'm not reapplying just because it's Cambridge. It's the course structure, the nature of the course and the supervision and small group system (it's how I learn best!). I also really like the college system, which is why I also really liked the look of Durham , not to mention how excellent their English course is!

This time I'll be applying with an A-level in English (I'm lucky enough to have an excellent tutor who is willing to prepare me for it) and the grounding in literary theory I didn't have when I applied this year. And this time I'm choosing a standard-age college (I'm leaning towards King's, but Selwyn looks great too.).

I honestly don'T know why I didn't consider applying to UCL this year. It's going to be my backup choice because it's an excellent uni and they offer lots of financial support.
Ooh, what a thread! Had the worst rejection ('cause it was the second one from a different college). Going to reapply. NOPE, NEVER :biggrin:
It was harsh, I was perfectly scientifically prepared, researching, having medals from international olympiads, best possible exam results and so on (well apparently the whole was worse than others') but as a non-native speaker got a feedback that my spoken English was worse than others' (getting it was a horrible experience because I had to write several not so beautiful letters for the college about my rights not to be discriminated according to the FOI request signed with my name - it was the reason why they decided not to give me the feedback).

However, life definitely goes on. I am studying medicine in my home country, going to an international scientific internship soon, I got an interesting job and now I'm happy building my life again - different and pretty successful. It wouldn't probably be so interesting if I was given an offer. ...If it's not fine, it's not the end :wink:

However, thought about this uni still brings tears to my eyes :/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RugileRar
Ooh, what a thread! Had the worst rejection ('cause it was the second one from a different college). Going to reapply. NOPE, NEVER :biggrin:
It was harsh, I was perfectly scientifically prepared, researching, having medals from international olympiads, best possible exam results and so on (well apparently the whole was worse than others':wink: but as a non-native speaker got a feedback that my spoken English was worse than others' (getting it was a horrible experience because I had to write several not so beautiful letters for the college about my rights not to be discriminated according to the FOI request signed with my name - it was the reason why they decided not to give me the feedback).

However, life definitely goes on. I am studying medicine in my home country, going to an international scientific internship soon, I got an interesting job and now I'm happy building my life again - different and pretty successful. It wouldn't probably be so interesting if I was given an offer. ...If it's not fine, it's not the end :wink:

However, thought about this uni still brings tears to my eyes :/

It's hardly discriminating. If you want to study and work in England - your English has to be strong. Regardless, we all had painful rejections and studying a medical degree is still fantastic. Don't get caught up too much on Cambridge - I got rejected after interview for medicine too and I couldn't care less right now. You're going to be a doctor either way :wink: And nothing stopping you from doing a masters/phd at Cambridge.

Spoiler

Original post by BioStudentx
It's hardly discriminating. If you want to study and work in England - your English has to be strong. Regardless, we all had painful rejections and studying a medical degree is still fantastic. Don't get caught up too much on Cambridge - I got rejected after interview for medicine too and I couldn't care less right now. You're going to be a doctor either way :wink: And nothing stopping you from doing a masters/phd at Cambridge.

Spoiler

Nah, I didn't even dreamed about applying to medicine, it was bio natsci :smile: But yes, I understand that the language is very important, it's just sad that I never had a possibility to learn speaking fluently (my formal writing skills are good enough even for Cam I think :biggrin:) . But yes, it doesn't really matter after all, life is more beautiful when you don't need to cram all day long :biggrin:
Original post by Mathemagicien
Which home country is this, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Let's say... one of the Baltics :smile:
Sat my A2s and know I've missed my offer already, so I guess that makes me a reject too.
Original post by RueXO
Does anyone know the best way to prepare for a law interview (if I even get past that stage lollll)
My AS grades don't matter apparently because of the changes, I went to the trinity law residential and they said that they won't be looking at UMS anymore which I find weird because maths is still UMS, but my other two subjects aren't

This is not the place to ask that... seriously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RueXO
Does anyone know the best way to prepare for a law interview (if I even get past that stage lollll)
My AS grades don't matter apparently because of the changes, I went to the trinity law residential and they said that they won't be looking at UMS anymore which I find weird because maths is still UMS, but my other two subjects aren't

Original post by Zacken
This is not the place to ask that... seriously.

Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 168
Original post by Platopus
Sat my A2s and know I've missed my offer already, so I guess that makes me a reject too.

Better to be optimistic though :u:
Shet wrong thread /: only just realised. I'm sorry, that was meant to go to the law thread :frown:
Original post by S1939
Better to be optimistic though :u:

Nah better to accept harsh realities up front than to entertain a delusion for 1.5 months, only to have it crushed with 1000 times the papa in on results day.
I'm pretty sure there was a 2015 Rejects thread last year... and if I recall correctly some of those on the thread before results day did actually make their offer :wink:
Might as well return to this thread
This is interesting because I'm thinking, if I can get at least A*AA (Camb want A*A*A), I might as well try biochem at Oxford :dontknow:
What was your offer and what happened?

This thread was actually started in jan for the rejections post interview which is why people who are in your previous position are so few
Oxford reject here! The thread I made like this for Oxford is dead, though, so I thought I'd join you guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 176
Original post by Edminzodo
Oxford reject here! The thread I made like this for Oxford is dead, though, so I thought I'd join you guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Oxford forum overall is pretty much dead. I tried to revive it with my ultimate super-duper-powers but it does not work :-) . I see a lot of people from Oxford hanging on the Cambridge forum. Oxford forum was always ahead, when taking the number of threads posted into consideration. It seems that it is going to change, very soon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending