The Student Room Group

what are my chances of 5 rejections?

I want to study economics and am applying to Cambridge (requirements A*A*A), Warwick (A*A*A), UCL (A*AA), LSE (A*AA) and Bath (AAAB). I'm predicted all A* in maths, FM, econ and geog.

so with a solid personal statement (excluding cambridge cos interviews and tests and all) what are my chances of being rejected from the other universities?? btw i'm a UK student
Your chances of getting into LSE will be similar to Cambridge. A rejection from UCL would also not be surprising, but UCL will have a higher offer rate than the other two. You should probably get an offer from Warwick, but I do know of straight A* applicants who got rejected from there. An offer from Bath is highly likely. Overall, your chances of getting rejected from all 5 are pretty low. What are your GCSEs though?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Labradoodle1
Your chances of getting into LSE will be similar to Cambridge. A rejection from UCL would also not be surprising, but UCL will have a higher offer rate than the other two. You should probably get an offer from Warwick, but I do know of straight A* applicants who got rejected from there. An offer from Bath is highly likely. Overall, your chances of getting rejected from all 5 are pretty low. What are your GCSEs though?

my gcses are grade 9 in ten subjects and grade 7 in another
Reply 3
Original post by lee_miller7

I think you need another lower offer ditch UCL and chose somewhere else

You should have a very strong chance to get Warwick and Bath then. UCL is probably somewhat likely as well. LSE and Cambridge can be very unpredictable.
Original post by Labradoodle1
You should have a very strong chance to get Warwick and Bath then. UCL is probably somewhat likely as well. LSE and Cambridge can be very unpredictable.

^^^^ this
Reply 6
Not sure of the probabilities at each. Individually I'd imagine that you'd have a better chance at Bath than any of the others. Probably under 50% at each of the others - not sure how those probabilities would combine.

How bothered are you about the risk of not getting offers?
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
Not sure of the probabilities at each. Individually I'd imagine that you'd have a better chance at Bath than any of the others. Probably under 50% at each of the others - not sure how those probabilities would combine.

How bothered are you about the risk of not getting offers?

honestly as long as i get two offers from all five then i'll be ok at least then i'll have secured a firm and insurance
Reply 8
honestly as long as i get two offers from all five then i'll be ok at least then i'll have secured a firm and insurance

It comes down to how willing you are taking a year out. Its not rare for people with 4a* predictions or achieved to be rejected for economics from Warwick, LSE, UCL and Oxbridge which leaves them in a bind if their next choice was somewhere like Bristol or St Andrews which can be unpredictable.

Thats not to say you shouldn't apply ambitiously. Plenty would recommend it - but you have to be aware of the risks.

You don't have to apply to all 5 at the same time. Submit 3-4 choices by the Cambridge deadline and see what responses you get. That way you might well know whether your final choice/s can be what you want or whether you need to lower your sights a little.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending