The Student Room Group

Time to give anonimity to rape suspects?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by abruiseonthesky
It's conviction. Charging someone =/= convicting them

Like I said, hard to prove. Even if there's DNA evidence, who's to say that it was rape? Rape doesn't have to be violent, and when it isn't how can you conclusively prove it was rape? It's someone's word against someone else's.

That's true. Especially when the rapist tends to be someone that knows the victim.
Though it is rather contentious, I suppose there perhaps different extremes of rape too in a way (of course all extremely damaging) - and sort of borderline cases, particularly in cases where it is couples. I assume that it is those cases that are especially hard to get a reliable conviction from.
Original post by 41b
For the record, these estimates are usually the result of surveys done by organisations which ask the respondents not "were you raped" but "did you have drunk sex." They then classify drunk sex as rape and include it in their "rape cases not brought to court" statistic. It is the methodology they used to claim that 1/3 of university girls are raped.

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

How do you know that?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Katty3
Except there usually isn't much evidence. Rape is a crime that usually takes place behind closed doors. That means no witnesses.

Forensic evidence is hard to find because the perpetrator often wears a condom. Vaginal tearing often heals quite quickly and does not always occur.

Many rapists use the date rape drug. This means that the victim may be unable to recall what happened in detail or their recollections may be confused.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh? So how are so many rapists convicted?
Reply 103
Original post by Twinpeaks
That's not true. I've studied forensic psychology at uni, and less than half rapes lead to conviction. He probably is confusing insufficient evidence with false rape allegation.

http://boysmeneducation.com/avfms-mega-post-10-reasons-false-rape-accusations-are-common/

In about a third of rape accusations, women recant their stories after realising, through questioning, that they weren't infact raped.

Police usually think about 20 to thirty percent more are making it up entirely.

Of course, if the goal of your political ideology is to destroy as many men as possible, then of course you want more lenient questioning. Anything to get those male suicide rates up.
Original post by 41b
For the record, these estimates are usually the result of surveys done by organisations which ask the respondents not "were you raped" but "did you have drunk sex." They then classify drunk sex as rape and include it in their "rape cases not brought to court" statistic. It is the methodology they used to claim that 1/3 of university girls are raped.

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Yeah I am always a little untrusting of statistics. There are countless ways in which they can be fiddled. Takes a lot of time and effort to go in and check the validity of sources though, so I appreciate the info!
Original post by scrotgrot
Yes but the thread is about the judicial process. He's pointing out that as far as the law is concerned it's immaterial what actually happened to you. We all agree of course that there should be no requirement to give proof when accessing support services.

it's in context when @limetang and I were discussing this :smile: we essentially said that courtrooms should be anonymous, as should any discussion of the accused, but general conversation is a different matter. I then was quoted and the discussion moved out of context.
Original post by hellodave5
That's true. Especially when the rapist tends to be someone that knows the victim.
Though it is rather contentious, I suppose there perhaps different extremes of rape too in a way (of course all extremely damaging) - and sort of borderline cases, particularly in cases where it is couples. I assume that it is those cases that are especially hard to get a reliable conviction from.

For a lot, there's no way they could've proved it; there's no evidence to prove they didn't consent.
Original post by donutellme

They aren't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very few, actually. The IB Times reported in Jan 2014 that 1070 men in the UK were convicted. Even if you go off the number of rapes reported to the police (as opposed to number reported in surveys etc.) as quoted in that article, it's a very low number.
Original post by 41b
http://boysmeneducation.com/avfms-mega-post-10-reasons-false-rape-accusations-are-common/

In about a third of rape accusations, women recant their stories after realising, through questioning, that they weren't infact raped.

Police usually think about 20 to thirty percent more are making it up entirely.

Of course, if the goal of your political ideology is to destroy as many men as possible, then of course you want more lenient questioning. Anything to get those male suicide rates up.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/crime-stats/an-overview-of-sexual-offending-in-england---wales/december-2012/index.html

That 3% statistic is from an Office for National Statistics survey.

Hmm, "Boysmeneducation" vs Office for National Statistics. I wonder which one has more credibility?

Maybe you should think about what you're saying here little boy, maybe one is a little out of his depth for his maturity level.
Original post by Katty3
What if that women happens to be very vulnerable or may face a backlash from her family or her community by being named?

It takes an immense amount of bravery to come forward about rape. Women would likely be too scared to make an allegation if they knew that anyone and everyone could find out what happened to her.

Some women want to get justice so that they can move on with their lives. They may not want their past to hang over them in the future. This is especially fair when the incident in question was not the fault of the woman.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It takes an immense amount of cowardice to destroy a poor mans life by false accusations too. Why should someone who makes false accusations get off scot free? It can cause breakups of marriage, being fired from your job, backlash from your family and community etc..

I'm all for rape victims coming forward but don't try and brush this under the carpet. Rape is an abhorrent crime and whilst raping someone can really damage them, tbh so can things like this. Especially if people decide on taking "mob justice" Why should it deter genuine rape victims from coming forwards? At the very least surely they should be done for libel? I'm sorry but if you wish to make a fake rape allegation and you ruin a poor man's life (women can't rape according to the law) then as far as I'm concerned you should be punished for it
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 111
Very few, actually. The IB Times reported in Jan 2014 that 1070 men in the UK were convicted. Even if you go off the number of rapes reported to the police (as opposed to number reported in surveys etc.) as quoted in that article, it's a very low number.

You know, if men were as biased against women as feminists are against men, then the obvious conclusion of that is that 90%+ of women making rape accusations are lying and should be jailed.
Original post by 41b
You know, if men were as biased against women as feminists are against men, then the obvious conclusion of that is that 90%+ of women making rape accusations are lying and should be jailed.

...right...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/100000-assaults-1000-rapists-sentenced-shockingly-low-conviction-rates-revealed-8446058.html

500,000 instances. 5,000 convictions. Even I feel like surely that 1% is too low though.
Original post by The_Internet
It takes an immense amount of cowardice to destroy a poor mans life by false accusations too. Why should someone who makes false accusations get off scot free? It can cause breakups of marriage, being fired from your job, backlash from your family and community etc..

I'm all for rape victims coming forward but don't try and brush this under the carpet. Rape is an abhorrent crime and whilst raping someone can really damage them, tbh so can things like this. Especially if people decide on taking "mob justice" Why should it deter genuine rape victims from coming forwards? At the very least surely they should be done for libel? I'm sorry but if you wish to make a fake rape allegation and you ruin a poor man's life (women can't rape according to the law) then as far as I'm concerned you should be punished for it

Like I said to someone else, what if the woman isn't lying but the man's acquitted due to there not being enough evidence to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt? You've just smeared a rape victim's name and said she's a liar - which would definitely deter women from coming forward. I was worried about getting it from police, let alone the media and public. I agree in an ideal world we'd prosecute these women too - but I honestly don't know how you'd 100% tell a false accusation from a truthful one.

However, anonymity for those accused of rape until/if proven guilty is a step in the right direction.
Reply 115
http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/crime-stats/an-overview-of-sexual-offending-in-england---wales/december-2012/index.html

That 3% statistic is from an Office for National Statistics survey.

Hmm, "Boysmeneducation" vs Office for National Statistics. I wonder which one has more credibility?

Maybe you should think about what you're saying here little boy, maybe one is a little out of his depth for his maturity level.

About half of women and men in the 50-60 cohort are radical feminists. Most people in politics, or involved in the state or academia today, are feminists. Considering these people splurged when the country was growing, bankrupted the country and have royally ****ed things so badly that the country needs millions of immigrants just to keep the economy running, I don't take many things they say seriously.The Boomer state is financially, morally and intellectually bankrupt. If you weren't so foolish, you would see how they are filling your head with lies, turning you against men and making it impossible for you to have a happy life.
Original post by The_Internet

False allegations can be investigated without revealing the names of women who have been raped as a matter of course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 117

I think it is as reasonable to claim that 500,000 number as it is to say that 99% of those women should be jailed for making FRAs.
Like I said to someone else, what if the woman isn't lying but the man's acquitted due to there not being enough evidence to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt? You've just smeared a rape victim's name and said she's a liar - which would definitely deter women from coming forward. I was worried about getting it from police, let alone the media and public. I agree in an ideal world we'd prosecute these women too - but I honestly don't know how you'd 100% tell a false accusation from a truthful one.

However, anonymity for those accused of rape until/if proven guilty is a step in the right direction.

That's a fair point but sometimes (not often IFC) there are people who have accused someone of raping them just out of pure spite

I know a girl who tried to press rape charges on a friend , at a time he was definitely 200 miles away from her at uni with other friends (and didn't go home for a few weeks). In those sorta scenarios, I think that if someone wishes to try and destroy someone's life like that, then tbh they should also have their life partially destroyed for trying to ruin someone else's without any crime actually have taken place
Original post by 41b
About half of women and men in the 50-60 cohort are radical feminists. Most people in politics, or involved in the state or academia today, are feminists. Considering these people splurged when the country was growing, bankrupted the country and have royally ****ed things so badly that the country needs millions of immigrants just to keep the economy running, I don't take many things they say seriously.The Boomer state is financially, morally and intellectually bankrupt. If you weren't so foolish, you would see how they are filling your head with lies, turning you against men and making it impossible for you to have a happy life.

Confirmation bias. How does it feel to live your life completely fabricating and distorting events and knowledge to fit your own beliefs? Living in your own little cocoon of ignorance, such comfort though :smile:

I bet the cocoon is a lonely one though isn't it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending