The Student Room Group

Grades for Oxbridge, Computer Science

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ahsenrauf
I was wondering what i would need to get an offer from Oxbridge. Im in year 11 now and i want to study computer science at Uni. Unfortunately my college doesn't offer Computer Science in IB. Is that a problem. I have quite a lot of experience programming already. I'm quite advanced in Python and Java and looking forward to learning C++ over the summer holidays. If i achieve 41 in IB do i have a shot at Oxbridge? Im interested to know what other students got in their IB or A levels for Oxbridge.

You don't need computer science at IB, or A level for that matter - maths (and further maths if applicable) is much more important. The standard Cambridge offer is 40-41 points, with 776 at Higher Level - don't know about Oxford. For Cambridge, you may have to take STEP as well (EDIT: STEP is only if you want to do CompSci with Maths!).
(edited 8 years ago)
No programming experience required.
They admit solely on your ability to solve mathematical problems - determined during the pre interview admissions test, and the interview.
Cambridge seem to test you with harder versions of A Level stuff.
Oxford test you with more logical problems and unfamiliar mathematics.
Cambridge seem to value AS UMS and A2 grades more.
Oxford seem to value the MAT (mathematical aptitude test) and interview more.
At both universities, the interview is not a traditional interview - it's an oral exam on mathematical and logical problems.

A level requirements:
A*AA for Oxford.
A*A*A for Cambridge.

Compulsory: Maths.
Pretty much compulsory if your school offers it: Further Maths AS.
Very helpful: Further Maths A2.
Other ones good to have: Physics, Chemistry, Computing/ Computer Science

Source: Oxford CS unconditional offer holder (Post A Level applicant)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by quoderatdemonstr
No programming experience required.
They admit solely on your ability to solve mathematical problems - determined during the pre interview admissions test, and the interview.
Cambridge seem to test you with harder versions of A Level stuff.
Oxford test you with more logical problems and unfamiliar mathematics.
Cambridge seem to value AS UMS and A2 grades more.
Oxford seem to value the MAT (mathematical aptitude test) and interview more.
At both universities, the interview is not a traditional interview - it's an oral exam on mathematical and logical problems.

Source: Oxford CS unconditional offer holder (Post A Level applicant)

May i ask what your Grades were and if you had prior programming experience?
(edited 8 years ago)
WOW. I didnt think Oxford gives unconditional offers. May i ask what your Grades were, prior programming experience?

They do if you don't have any more exams to take..
Original post by Mostly_Crazy
You don't need computer science at IB, or A level for that matter - maths (and further maths if applicable) is much more important. The standard Cambridge offer is 40-41 points, with 776 at Higher Level - don't know about Oxford. For Cambridge, you may have to take STEP as well.

I thought that maybe the students that studied computer science would be advantaged in the interview
Original post by Student403
They do if you don't have any more exams to take..

Just read it over. That makes much more sens:colondollar:
WOW. I didnt think Oxford gives unconditional offers. May i ask what your Grades were, prior programming experience?

Post A level. Have already taken all my A2s. Prior programming experience was very basic. I did AS Computing, and dabbled a bit in some of my own programming. Generally, my programming was pretty simple but required knowledge of some high level mathematical algorithms - they don't care if you can code a pretty UI. They find it a good measure of subject interest if you can code mathematically complex programs, but at the end of the day, that's all it is : a measure of subject interest- which isn't too high on their list of priorities.

Grades:
A2s: Maths, Bio, Chem, Phys (A*A*A*A*)
AS: Further Maths, Computing (aa)

At least with Oxford, there is no advantage to being predicted greater than A*AA, so long as the A* is in Maths.
(edited 8 years ago)
I thought that maybe the students that studied computer science would be advantaged in the interview

Not likely, both universities are aware that not all schools/colleges offer computing/computer science. I'm not a CompSci applicant, but to my knowledge the interviews and tests are almost entirely focused on maths problems.
Reply 9
Original post by Mostly_Crazy
You don't need computer science at IB, or A level for that matter - maths (and further maths if applicable) is much more important. The standard Cambridge offer is 40-41 points, with 776 at Higher Level - don't know about Oxford. For Cambridge, you may have to take STEP as well.

Only if aiming for CompSci w/Maths :wink:
Original post by jneill
Only if aiming for CompSci w/Maths :wink:

My bad, edited! PRSOM!
I was wondering what i would need to get an offer from Oxbridge. Im in year 11 now and i want to study computer science at Uni. Unfortunately my college doesn't offer Computer Science in IB. Is that a problem. I have quite a lot of experience programming already. I'm quite advanced in Python and Java and looking forward to learning C++ over the summer holidays. If i achieve 41 in IB do i have a shot at Oxbridge? Im interested to know what other students got in their IB or A levels for Oxbridge.

How do you program shooting bullets in Python ffs -.-, im trying to program a game in python..
Original post by jakei1234
How do you program shooting bullets in Python ffs -.-, im trying to program a game in python..

what kind of game are you making? PM me
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13

No idea... perhaps this book will help
https://inventwithpython.com/makinggames.pdf

It may be useful to watch some of Jake Wright's youtube videos as he has recently graduated from Queens College at Cambridge where he was studying CompSci.
Original post by MalayHKG
It may be useful to watch some of Jake Wright's youtube videos as he has recently graduated from Queens College at Cambridge where he was studying CompSci.

Thanks will do

It's simple. You don't make a game in Python.

Python is a handy scripting language and great features for networking, but for desktop applications and games, no way.

At a beginner programmers level, you'd be better off using something like C# with XNA or using Unity3D then writting scripts in C#/JS.

C++ with DirectX later on if you're feeling brave and low level.

If your college doesn't offer a Computing A level, but you would still like to demonstrate a qualification in Computing to the University, then you may be able to achieve that by doing one of the University of Oxford's own part-time courses (some are evening classes to attend at the University, other courses are online distance-learning). The level of these courses should be at least FHEQ level 4, which is the equivalent of the level of a 1st year undergraduate student. Here is the link to this section on the University of Oxford's website.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending