The Student Room Group

is it pointless for me to apply to CS?

Hi I'm in yr 12 atm and ive taken maths, french english and EPQ. Ive decided not to apply to CS in the UK since a lot of them require or strongly recommend FM. I'm also v interested in going to uni in America though and was wondering if I had any real chance at getting accepted as a compsci/linguistics major or if it's pointless since I didn't do FM.

Advice would be v much appreciated ty!!:smile:
Only very competitive COMPSCI programmes will require or recommend FM. Where were you thinking of applying?
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
Only very competitive COMPSCI programmes will require or recommend FM. Where were you thinking of applying?

my dream uni is oxford and they heavily recommend it, so does cambridge. Ik it's dramatic to say i don't want to apply in case i dont get into oxbridge cuz ik thats unlikely anyways lol but i just rlly don't want to be at a disadvantage at getting into a russell group bc of it even if the uni doesn't specify it yk?
Reply 3
Original post by issyb_123
Hi I'm in yr 12 atm and ive taken maths, french english and EPQ. Ive decided not to apply to CS in the UK since a lot of them require or strongly recommend FM. I'm also v interested in going to uni in America though and was wondering if I had any real chance at getting accepted as a compsci/linguistics major or if it's pointless since I didn't do FM.

switch French to another subject like a science, computer science etc. French is a hard subject so its harder to get the high grades unis are looking for and 2 maths/science a levels looks better
my dream uni is oxford and they heavily recommend it, so does cambridge. Ik it's dramatic to say i don't want to apply in case i dont get into oxbridge cuz ik thats unlikely anyways lol but i just rlly don't want to be at a disadvantage at getting into a russell group bc of it even if the uni doesn't specify it yk?

RG is fairly meaningless for COMPSCI, you need to look into the courses and career support a bit more than that.

Oxbridge is a bit smoke and mirrors with regards to FM, (Caveat: I've not checked the current wording). You'll find that most successful candidates take it, but that could just be because they are very strong academically and FM follows M very easily for that crowd. It might not be the reason they were sucessful in their application, or it may only have boosted it a bit.

If it is a dream and you are applying elsewhere, you have little to lose as long as you go in knowing that most people don't make it.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
RG is fairly meaningless for COMPSCI, you need to look into the courses and career support a bit more than that.

Oxbridge is a bit smoke and mirrors with regards to FM, (Caveat: I've not checked the current wording). You'll find that most successful candidates take it, but that could just be because they are very strong academically and FM follows M very easily for that crowd. It might not be the reason they were sucessful in their application, or it may only have boosted it a bit.

If it is a dream and you are applying elsewhere, you have little to lose as long as you go in knowing that most people don't make it.

I've decided to take a different path to get to the sector of tech i want to work in (linguistics ---> compling) so I'm not going to apply anymore but thank you for your help!!
Reply 6

It's not necessarily pointless for you to apply to computer science programs in the United States if you haven't taken Further Mathematics (FM) in the UK.
Academic Requirements: While some U.S. universities may have specific math requirements for computer science programs, they typically do not require or expect UK-specific qualifications like FM. However, you should still check the admission requirements for each university you're interested in.

Standardized Tests: Most U.S. universities require standardized tests like the SAT or ACT for undergraduate admissions. Strong scores in the math sections of these tests can help demonstrate your mathematical aptitude, even if you haven't taken FM.

Coursework: Your choice of subjects, including mathematics, in your A-levels can still play a role. Strong grades in subjects related to computer science, such as Maths, can be an asset. Additionally, you can highlight any relevant coursework, projects, or self-study you've undertaken in computer science.

Recommendation Letters and Personal Statement: Your recommendation letters and personal statement can help you explain your passion for computer science and linguistics. Use these opportunities to showcase your dedication and interest in the field.

Extracurricular Activities: Highlight any extracurricular activities related to computer science or linguistics. This could include coding projects, participation in programming competitions, or linguistics-related research or clubs.

Apply to a Range of Schools: Consider applying to a mix of universities, including reach schools, match schools, and safety schools. This will increase your chances of acceptance.

Contact Admissions Offices: If you have specific concerns about your qualifications, it can be beneficial to contact the admissions offices of the universities you're interested in and ask for guidance. They can provide information about their specific requirements and whether not having FM will be a significant disadvantage.

Ultimately, admissions decisions in the United States are often holistic, taking into account various aspects of your application, including your academic record, standardized test scores, extracurricular activities, and personal statement. While FM can be an advantage, it's not the only factor that universities consider. If you have a strong passion for computer science and linguistics and can demonstrate your abilities and commitment through other means, you can still have a competitive application.

Quick Reply

Latest