The Student Room Group

Self learning A level

I am just about to enter A level with my chosen subjects as Maths, economics and biology. I’m just wondering I did computer science at GCSE and I enjoyed it and possibly pursue it as a future career at university or in the workplace but at my sixth form it does not offer the option of an A level computer science. So shall I teach myself the basis of the A level computer science or try to do extra circular in that field. Also if there is any recommendations for extra circular or a program or websites which is best for it please comment below.
Thanks
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by pandaplayz8
I am just about to enter A level with my chosen subjects as Maths, economics and biology. I’m just wondering I did computer science at GCSE and I enjoyed it and possibly pursue it as a future career at university or in the workplace but at my sixth form it does not offer the option of an A level computer science. So shall I teach myself the basis of the A level computer science or try to do extra circular in that field. Also if there is any recommendations for extra circular or a program or websites which is best for it please comment below.
Thanks

Computer Science at university does not require A-Level Computer Science. Top universities would prefer A-Level Maths which you will be doing which is great!

You can learn and improve your programming knowledge in your own time or create your own personal projects relating to the field which you can add to a portfolio or your personal statement if you do apply to university. You don't necessarily need to learn the A-Level content specifically.

There are soo many great resources online such as Codeacademy, Freecodecamp, Mimo app as well as Online courses that can teach you skills needed for a future in the industry.

Hope this helps!
To piggy-back a little, FM would put you at more of an advantage to the top universities(Oxbridge, Imperial). But is by no means necessary for most.
Reply 3
Original post by AnotherStudent!
To piggy-back a little, FM would put you at more of an advantage to the top universities(Oxbridge, Imperial). But is by no means necessary for most.

Hello, thank you so much for the feedback, I was originally doing further maths as a subject but I don’t think I can acquire the highest possible grade like an A or an A* that’s why I switch to biology instead as there is more of a chance of getting an A or A* as I am better at it but computer science has always been a passion

Quick Reply

Latest