The Student Room Group

getting into imperial Computer Science: 2:1 From Loughborough

Hi,

I am currently a Graduate working, but I am looking to further my education profile. I graduated from Loughborough with a 2:1 (67%) in Mathematics. Would this be sufficient to get into Imperial Science's MSc in Computer Science.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks
Hey there - I looked into the MSc conversion course in Computer Science at Imperial (I'm assuming you're talking about the same course). The only entry requirement was a 2.1 in a non-computing subject (good GCSEs, A levels etc. are also part of the obvious requirements too) - I rang admin and they confirmed this. I do not even have an A level in Maths, yet I would still be considered as meeting the entry requirements for this course (and it is a competitive course too!). So, I think your 2.1 in Maths will be more than sufficient for an MSc in Computer Science at Imperial. If you are talking about a more advanced MSc in Computer Science, then I don't know...

Universities seem to differ on the requirements of the level of mathematics needed for their MSc courses in Computer Science. The course I want to do, at Bath, is quite specific about a good level of Maths as an entry requirement. So, I'm hoping to do this 'Mathematics for Computer Science' evening course at the University of Oxford.

Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AlexWalton
Hi,

I am currently a Graduate working, but I am looking to further my education profile. I graduated from Loughborough with a 2:1 (67%) in Mathematics. Would this be sufficient to get into Imperial Science's MSc in Computer Science.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Be warned. According to users who have done the Masters, they are going to work you very hard. And I don't mean "average uni" hard. I mean 50-hour job hard.
Reply 3
Original post by Juichiro
Be warned. According to users who have done the Masters, they are going to work you very hard. And I don't mean "average uni" hard. I mean 50-hour job hard.

thanks for the feedback! I guessed it would be intense, but I will give it my all and more!

Is that just at Imperial or all Universities that offer MSc conversion courses in Computer Science?
Original post by Juxtapose
Is that just at Imperial or all Universities that offer MSc conversion courses in Computer Science?

I have only heard the "omg, I am being worked so hard" experiences in relation to Imperial.
Reply 6
Surely that's a good thing..! And people do this course, so it's doable, just effort and hard work!
Reply 7
Original post by Juxtapose
Hey there - I looked into the MSc conversion course in Computer Science at Imperial (I'm assuming you're talking about the same course). The only entry requirement was a 2.1 in a non-computing subject (good GCSEs, A levels etc. are also part of the obvious requirements too) - I rang admin and they confirmed this. I do not even have an A level in Maths, yet I would still be considered as meeting the entry requirements for this course (and it is a competitive course too!). So, I think your 2.1 in Maths will be more than sufficient for an MSc in Computer Science at Imperial. If you are talking about a more advanced MSc in Computer Science, then I don't know...

Universities seem to differ on the requirements of the level of mathematics needed for their MSc courses in Computer Science. The course I want to do, at Bath, is quite specific about a good level of Maths as an entry requirement. So, I'm hoping to do this 'Mathematics for Computer Science' evening course at the University of Oxford.

Good luck!

Have you got the sites / threads of those people if possible, id love to find out more!
I have only heard the "omg, I am being worked so hard" experiences in relation to Imperial.

The course looks hella tough too
Original post by Jooooshy
The course looks hella tough too

Imperial has a reputation for working its students really hard.
Original post by AlexWalton
Have you got the sites / threads of those people if possible, id love to find out more!

This is the link to the Imperial MSc conversion course in Computer Science. As you will see, for the entry requirements it just says: Minimum academic requirement is a 2.1 Honours degree in any discipline.

The Advanced Computing MSc is here. The entry requirements are a bit more specific: Minimum academic requirement is a 2.1 Honours degree with a substantial computing component.

If you need to brush up on the specific Mathematics required for Computer Science, then the University of Oxford offer an evening class in 'Mathematics for Computer Science'.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending