The Student Room Group

Have I offended my lecturer?

It sounds trivial and I wouldn't usually care, but I really want her as my dissertation supervisor for my final year project next year so I'm worried this may potentially affect my chances...

So I was looking at the dissertation topics handbook, and I really liked her research area so I emailed her saying something along the lines of 'hi, i really like the look of your research area bla bla and I was wondering if it was possible to know what techniques and analytical instruments you normally utilise in your research projects as your page on the handbook sparked my interest'

Obviously I made the effort of making it sound polite, etc but she hasn't replied. I've never emailed her before so I don't know if shes usually bad at emails, but from the Q&A sessions she has after her lectures she seems very kind so it seems unusual for her to ignore emails...

Thoughts? :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by InadequateJusticex
It sounds trivial and I wouldn't usually care, but I really want her as my dissertation supervisor for my final year project next year so I'm worried this may potentially affect my chances...

So I was looking at the dissertation topics handbook, and I really liked her research area so I emailed her saying something along the lines of 'hi, i really like the look of your research area bla bla and I was wondering if it was possible to know what techniques and analytical instruments you normally utilise in your research projects as your page on the handbook sparked my interest'

Obviously I made the effort of making it sound polite, etc but she hasn't replied. I've never emailed her before so I don't know if shes usually bad at emails, but from the Q&A sessions she has after her lectures she seems very kind so it seems unusual for her to ignore emails...

Thoughts? :lol:

I don't think you have offended her.
She might just be busy and might have missed your email.
Reply 2
Assuming the "bla bla" is a bit of editing by you and not what you actually wrote in the email I don't see how it could have offended her.
Original post by rayquaza17
I don't think you have offended her.
She might just be busy and might have missed your email.

Original post by Talon
Assuming the "bla bla" is a bit of editing by you and not what you actually wrote in the email I don't see how it could have offended her.

Haha, yeah it's a bit of editing.
I think the email might have given off the impression that I'm only interested in her research area because it uses a wide range of techniques unlike most other groups? Which is untrue because I'm genuinely interested in the content as well :/
Reply 4
I don't think you did.

I am also messaging my teachers and most of them do not reply, so I visit them personally and they don't even look like they have read my message.

I think they are busy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
nothing about your message seemed offending, I hope you'll get ur reply soon :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
don't worry, your lecturer is probably just busy, some are better at responding than others and your response isn't time sensitive! It might even be that they want to respond properly and so are waiting rather than rushing something off
Thanks everyone, my lecturer finally replied today. Panic over. :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending