The Student Room Group

Where's the best university to study PPE? (excluding oxbridge)

As I've posted previously I had mediocre GCSE's 1A 8B's 2C's and I'd like to study PPE (excluding Oxbridge). I've looked at Hull university, Manchester etc.
I'm aiming to achieve A*AA/AAA in my A-levels. I'm wondering what university to study at and whether Hull is a good option (as it's not an RG).
I only achieved a B in Maths and a B in English Language.
My C's were in Biology and French.
warwick, ucl or lse
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply, I'm not sure I'd get into any of the universities mentioned because of my GCSE's.
Original post by lucysteel98
Thanks for the reply, I'm not sure I'd get into any of the universities mentioned because of my GCSE's.

if you have exceptional A-Level results, i.e. AAA or greater you will be competitive.
Reply 4
I suspect that for universities like UCL and LSE it will be A*AA, not AAA, and even then it would be hard, they're highly competitive. More people apply to LSE than Oxbridge for fewer spaces.

I think Hull is definitely too low if you're going to get AAA or higher. I know York is quite known for its PPE course, also Exeter and Nottingham offer it I think.
Reply 5
Thank you for your advice
Reply 6
Original post by zimbo97
I suspect that for universities like UCL and LSE it will be A*AA, not AAA, and even then it would be hard, they're highly competitive. More people apply to LSE than Oxbridge for fewer spaces.

I think Hull is definitely too low if you're going to get AAA or higher. I know York is quite known for its PPE course, also Exeter and Nottingham offer it I think.

Thank you for the advice,
Exeter, York and Nottingham all want an A in GCSE maths I only have a B and it's the same for many other RG universities, unfortunately. Is Hull respected for it's PPE course?
Reply 7
Exeter, York and Nottingham all want an A in GCSE maths I only have a B and it's the same for many other RG universities, unfortunately. Is Hull respected for it's PPE course?

I don't think Hull's respected for many of its courses, I've looked now and seen that they want 280 UCAS points, which really is not very many at all.

Hmm it seems a shame to miss out on so many RGs just because of GCSE maths. Which A-levels are you doing out of interest?

I go to Manchester Uni and have a friend doing PPE who missed out on his offer from LSE, he's really smart and hard-working and came from a top public school (if that matters).

If you get you A levels, take a gap year and then apply, then I think many unis would overlook your GCSEs because you have the grades in the bag already, which is what they like.

retake GCSE maths; if you're capable of AAA-A*AA in A-Levels you're capable of a grade A in maths.
Reply 9
Original post by zimbo97
I don't think Hull's respected for many of its courses, I've looked now and seen that they want 280 UCAS points, which really is not very many at all.

Hmm it seems a shame to miss out on so many RGs just because of GCSE maths. Which A-levels are you doing out of interest?

I go to Manchester Uni and have a friend doing PPE who missed out on his offer from LSE, he's really smart and hard-working and came from a top public school (if that matters).

If you get you A levels, take a gap year and then apply, then I think many unis would overlook your GCSEs because you have the grades in the bag already, which is what they like.

I was worried about the 280 points It seemed very low even though it's ratings are reasonably high and I thought that would affect how employers view my degree.
I'm doing Government and politics, History, Maths and a BTEC in engineering (originally wanted to do engineering).
I wanted to do a gap year but because I failed all my AS exams (in Chemistry,physics,maths) last year I'm already a year behind.
But thank you for the extra option I'll think about a gap year in more depth.
I was told that if I do resit it won't count as I finished my GCSE's in Summer 2014.
Reply 11
I was told that if I do resit it won't count as I finished my GCSE's in Summer 2014.

If you get >= A grade in A level maths I would have thought that wipes out the GCSE issue - unless common sense has stopped prevailing at the universities.

On the other hand, if you were not taking maths at A level I could see why they would be concerned about economics. Lots of algebra and calculus.
Original post by Pars12
If you get >= A grade in A level maths I would have thought that wipes out the GCSE issue - unless common sense has stopped prevailing at the universities.

On the other hand, if you were not taking maths at A-level I could see why they would be concerned about economics. Lots of algebra and calculus.

That's what I thought originally but my maths teacher said I still have a disadvantage even though I'm doing maths at a-level and I'm aiming for an A because it's a differentiating factor between candidates.
Reply 13
I was worried about the 280 points It seemed very low even though it's ratings are reasonably high and I thought that would affect how employers view my degree.
I'm doing Government and politics, History, Maths and a BTEC in engineering (originally wanted to do engineering).
I wanted to do a gap year but because I failed all my AS exams (in Chemistry,physics,maths) last year I'm already a year behind.

ah right, yeah 2 years is quite a lot. That said a lot of internal students come here aged 20 because of their different school systems.

And if you get an A in A-level maths, I really wouldn't worry about your GCSE result. That provision is only there to stop the people who wouldn't be able to cope with the economics side of your degree, but your A-level in the subject would prove you could.

If in doubt, phone up universities and ask.
Reply 14
That's what I thought originally but my maths teacher said I still have a disadvantage even though I'm doing maths at a-level and I'm aiming for an A because it's a differentiating factor between candidates.

Yes, I accept that. However, your argument is that for one reason or another your GCSE's are not a fair representation of your potential. You are a late developer. An A* prediction might give you an edge?
Original post by zimbo97
ah right, yeah 2 years is quite a lot. That said a lot of internal students come here aged 20 because of their different school systems.

And if you get an A in A-level maths, I really wouldn't worry about your GCSE result. That provision is only there to stop the people who wouldn't be able to cope with the economics side of your degree, but your A-level in the subject would prove you could.

If in doubt, phone up universities and ask.

Thank you for your advice I'll definitely take it on board
Original post by Pars12
Yes, I accept that. However, your argument is that for one reason or another your GCSE's are not a fair representation of your potential. You are a late developer. An A* prediction might give you an edge?

Okay, thank you. I was suffering from depression all the way through my GCSE's I'm not trying to make an excuse out of it but I wasn't on top form but I've really improved since starting my AS levels and I feel as though I can attain the grades now. I just hope my overall mediocre performance doesn't put universities off.
Reply 17

The extra year is irrelevant. Even after two years you won't be too old for university! In fact, after two years I would be surprised if anyone even notices. The biggest problem with a gap year is if you don't make your predicted grades. If you exceed your predicted grades you can apply for "better" universities.
Reply 18
Okay, thank you. I was suffering from depression all the way through my GCSE's I'm not trying to make an excuse out of it but I wasn't on top form but I've really improved since starting my AS levels and I feel as though I can attain the grades now. I just hope my overall mediocre performance doesn't put universities off.

I'm not sure I would call it "making an excuse". Either you were depressed and off form or you weren't. It seems to me that an important part of your submission is that your GCSE's were not representative. You have to bring this out. You also have to give them some comfort that things have changed. That's why people are suggesting a gap year.
Original post by Pars12
I'm not sure I would call it "making an excuse". Either you were depressed and off form or you weren't. It seems to me that an important part of your submission is that your GCSE's were not representative. You have to bring this out. You also have to give them some comfort that things have changed. That's why people are suggesting a gap year.

Thanks I was off form, I am thinking more seriously about a gap year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending