The Student Room Group

Uni History degree

Are there anyone knows if I get a 7 in gcse english language but 9 in history and want to apply for history or related degree in lse or ucl which require 6 in english. Will I be greatly disadvantaged no matter whether I get A or A* in a level? Like will I be rejected as gcse english is not high enough
Reply 1
Apart from any specified GCSEs - typically Maths and English , most Unis really are not bothered about your GCSEs.
And your GCSE grade in History is not going to be deal breaker - promise.
Original post by gummybear638
Are there anyone knows if I get a 7 in gcse english language but 9 in history and want to apply for history or related degree in lse or ucl which require 6 in english. Will I be greatly disadvantaged no matter whether I get A or A* in a level? Like will I be rejected as gcse english is not high enough

If a university says it only wants a 6 in GCSE English language then a 7 obviously is good enough.
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
Apart from any specified GCSEs - typically Maths and English , most Unis really are not bothered about your GCSEs.
And your GCSE grade in History is not going to be deal breaker - promise.

but I only get 7 in English but the entry requirement needs 6 so obviously there must be people with 7 above so will be greatly disadvantage especially the degree I apply is history which quite linked with english
but I only get 7 in English but the entry requirement needs 6 so obviously there must be people with 7 above so will be greatly disadvantage especially the degree I apply is history which quite linked with english

It won't be an issue. Honest. End of story.
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
It won't be an issue. Honest. End of story.

does it apply to ucl and lse some competitve course too? Thanks
does it apply to ucl and lse some competitve course too? Thanks

What grades did you get in your other GCSEs?
Reply 7
Are you looking for an excuse not to apply .... ?
Reply 8
What grades did you get in your other GCSEs?

I got 9 in history plus 2 grade 9, 6 grade 8 and 3 grade 7 include english
Reply 9
Original post by McGinger
Are you looking for an excuse not to apply .... ?

No, I really want to apply just want to know how big the chance will be and have a feeling of secure
I got 9 in history plus 2 grade 9, 6 grade 8 and 3 grade 7 include english

Well, they are excellent results. Have you read what LSE expect from their applicants at GCSE? Or Oxford or Cambridge?
No, I really want to apply just want to know how big the chance will be and have a feeling of secure

Your chance is good. Feeling secure during the application process is an illusion! 😃

You stated that they require a 6 in English and you have a 7 in English. Therefore you clearly meet the criteria, so if you can't draw a reasoned conclusion from the evidence available then perhaps a degree in history is not the best choice anyway?
Reply 12
Well, they are excellent results. Have you read what LSE expect from their applicants at GCSE? Or Oxford or Cambridge?

Your chance is good. Feeling secure during the application process is an illusion! 😃

I met the LSE requirement of english and maths at 6 but really panic of applicants with better gcses than me. I wonder will oxbridge be too overestimate for me since there will be a lot of people will even better result than me and also I study in a private school as I know oxbridge tends to more favour state school.
Reply 13
Original post by artful_lounger
You stated that they require a 6 in English and you have a 7 in English. Therefore you clearly meet the criteria, so if you can't draw a reasoned conclusion from the evidence available then perhaps a degree in history is not the best choice anyway?

yes but I want to apply for lse for some competitive course related to history area like maybe ppe and just wondering will I be too overestimated
yes but I want to apply for lse for some competitive course related to history area like maybe ppe and just wondering will I be too overestimated

PPE isn't really "related to history"? Only in the vaguest sense of also having a fair chunk of it being essay based.

In any event minimum requirements are just that, minimum requirements. Once you meet them then you tick that box and they will look at other factors - in terms of GCSEs at LSE this will normally be looking at your overall GCSE grade profile, rather than individual grades in specific subjects.
I met the LSE requirement of english and maths at 6 but really panic of applicants with better gcses than me. I wonder will oxbridge be too overestimate for me since there will be a lot of people will even better result than me and also I study in a private school as I know oxbridge tends to more favour state school.

Are you particularly concerned because English is not your first language?
Reply 16
Are you particularly concerned because English is not your first language?

I am not worry about having lesson and I don't understand as I have no issue at all normally at lesson just concerned about the english grade affecting the chance of getting the uni course I really want to be in
Reply 17
The reality is that for very competitive courses at the very top universities, not everyone who has the required predicted grades gets an offer. Therefore, they are sifting and binning people based on certain criteria. It is daft to suggest that things like predicted grades or GCSEs or other factors make zero difference.

Some universities might group candidates according to A Levl predictions and work down the list..so those with 3x A Star are offered to first etc.

Some won’t have specific GCSE requirements but will look at the overall GCSE picture and use that to group candidates as well as GCSEs.

The other thing is to remmeber GCSEs are looked at in context of your schooling and postcode etc. So certain GCSEs will be much more imoresssive to admissions departments if from a state school in a deprived postcode than from a top independent school.

For most universities and most courses, if you meet the A Level predicted grade requirements and have the Maths and English basic GCSE requirements, you should get an offer. Most universities and courses don’t have enough applicants to be turning people away who meet their grade requirements…especially as not everyone they offer to will come. BUT some very competitive courses like Economics at certain top universities will have far more people apply who have grades predicted at the required level than they can offer to. So they have to sift somehow and GCSE profile, personal statement, possibly interview can all be part of it, alo g with having targets of offers to make according to international or domestic status, and probably state/indeoendnet / contextual candidates.

In short, for most places and courses, that 6 at GCSE won’t be a hinderance at all. For a few courses in a few places, especially if you’re from an academically successful school, it won’t help, but it probably won’t make a real difference if everything g else about your application is strong.

Those making sweeping statements about it mattering or not, need to remmeber that a lot depends on which course and where exactly someone is applying. Some places certainly won’t be bothered by a 6 at GCSE English. For others, it could be a factor that works against you.
Reply 18
Original post by Wombat11
The reality is that for very competitive courses at the very top universities, not everyone who has the required predicted grades gets an offer. Therefore, they are sifting and binning people based on certain criteria. It is daft to suggest that things like predicted grades or GCSEs or other factors make zero difference.

Some universities might group candidates according to A Levl predictions and work down the list..so those with 3x A Star are offered to first etc.

Some won’t have specific GCSE requirements but will look at the overall GCSE picture and use that to group candidates as well as GCSEs.

The other thing is to remmeber GCSEs are looked at in context of your schooling and postcode etc. So certain GCSEs will be much more imoresssive to admissions departments if from a state school in a deprived postcode than from a top independent school.

For most universities and most courses, if you meet the A Level predicted grade requirements and have the Maths and English basic GCSE requirements, you should get an offer. Most universities and courses don’t have enough applicants to be turning people away who meet their grade requirements…especially as not everyone they offer to will come. BUT some very competitive courses like Economics at certain top universities will have far more people apply who have grades predicted at the required level than they can offer to. So they have to sift somehow and GCSE profile, personal statement, possibly interview can all be part of it, alo g with having targets of offers to make according to international or domestic status, and probably state/indeoendnet / contextual candidates.

In short, for most places and courses, that 6 at GCSE won’t be a hinderance at all. For a few courses in a few places, especially if you’re from an academically successful school, it won’t help, but it probably won’t make a real difference if everything g else about your application is strong.

Those making sweeping statements about it mattering or not, need to remmeber that a lot depends on which course and where exactly someone is applying. Some places certainly won’t be bothered by a 6 at GCSE English. For others, it could be a factor that works against you.

Thanks so does it mean if only considering the gcse part, I study in a medium performed independent school and I got 3 grade 9, 6 grade 8 and 3 grade 7 include english. I'm thinking about maybe lse law or ppe. Perhaps I will be slightly disadvantaged as the gcse may not be impressive enough and the courses are quite competitve given that if my predicted a level grade is only average compare to other candidate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending