The Student Room Group

Laptop or iPad?

My school is currently attenptiing to modernise education. Theyre allowing us to use ipads and other devices in school in the hopes that we'll get better grades. I was wondering if people who study CP science at uni need desktop aplications. I dont want to have to buy an iPad and a laptop in the space of less than two years. Its simply a waste of money. I have a deaktop pc that i built myself,so ill be using that. But will i need to use any desktop applications on the go? Or will an iPad suffice?

Thank You!!
I meant more in terms of desktop appications. Will i need to use them inclass for example? Will i need to use them outside of home?
Personally, I'd hate working on an iPad. It just wouldn't work for me. It really depends on what you prefer. A small, handheld device with limited capabilities (but perfectly able to do word processing, sure). Or a fully featured, yet expensive computer which will be able to handle numerous other tasks as well as simply word processing.
Reply 4
Original post by aels747
My school is currently attenptiing to modernise education. Theyre allowing us to use ipads and other devices in school in the hopes that we'll get better grades. I was wondering if people who study CP science at uni need desktop aplications. I dont want to have to buy an iPad and a laptop in the space of less than two years. Its simply a waste of money. I have a deaktop pc that i built myself,so ill be using that. But will i need to use any desktop applications on the go? Or will an iPad suffice?

Thank You!!

If you do computer science you will need desktop applications, otherwise you can get away with whatever the Apple equivalent of Google Docs is. Personally I wouldn't own any Apple device (with the exception of an iPod for the purpose of playing music) unless I needed some top-notch video/audio rendering/editing sofware, but that's just me.
Reply 5
iPads and tablets in general are an outdated gimmick. They have never been practical and now technology has caught up to the point so as to render the tablet useless.

iPads are nothing more than big iPhones with less functionality (can't be used as a phone). Don't waste your money. Buy a slimline laptop if you are concerned about size.

Tablets are a fashion accessory. You require functionality, so steer clear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending