The Student Room Group

iPad for uni??

Should I get an iPad with a keyboard attachment for uni or a laptop? My course will have a lot of reading so I like the idea of reading and annotating on an iPad, but is it a safer bet to just get a laptop? Thanks!
Reply 1
From what I’ve heard it’s recommended you get a laptop as not all uni programs and software can be run on an iPad… I’m planning on getting a very average laptop and then an iPad which I’ll use as my main device with keyboard attachment. I understand financially that’s not viable for everyone but I think it’s the safest and best way of doing it
Reply 2
Original post by DaisyBastin
Should I get an iPad with a keyboard attachment for uni or a laptop? My course will have a lot of reading so I like the idea of reading and annotating on an iPad, but is it a safer bet to just get a laptop? Thanks!

I personally would suggest having a laptop as it'll give you edges for sure over an IPad. The rest is your choice though.

If you can only afford one a laptop is the better option while an I pad is nice a good laptop should be your priority a said not every piece of uni software will run on an iPad.
(edited 10 months ago)

Hi there,
I'd say it depends on how you learn/take notes best. I used a laptop throughout uni but starting using a tablet in my final year purely for annotating and found this much easier than doing so on a laptop. You can get some pretty compact/lightweight laptops but I also found tablets easier to carry around - whether you're working from the library or a study room in your accommodation.

- Sophie

Hi @DaisyBastin

Like others have mentioned it is purely down to personal preference.
It also depends on what is required from your course i.e. how essay/assignment heavy it is. You may find that you need a device that is going to be able to hold a large amount of storage, especially if your course is content heavy.

I used a laptop and then switched to a tablet which had a keyboard attached. I was able to annotate my notes easier with it and was able to carry it around during the day with ease. I found my laptop a bit bulkier. You should also think about what is affordable for you and how you revise and work.

I hope this has been of some help!
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions :smile:
Aaliya ~ 4th year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield

Hey there @DaisyBastin !
I think this completely depends on what course it is you're doing. If your lectures will only require you to make notes and do the reading then an iPad would work absolutely fine. The only courses I would say it's better to have a laptop for are creative courses such as Graphic Design and Architecture lets say, just purely because it's much easier to take home any work with you that you've started in university and want to finish at home. It's a lot easier to access Adobe Creative Cloud on a laptop and it runs with a lot more detail than the iOS app uses. I also do find that a laptop runs a lot quicker than an iPad and a keyboard and is a bit more precise when clicking on things. For example, iPad's really irritate me when they open a new tab on every single little thing, you don't get this lag with a laptop and it doesn't take you directly onto a new tab every time you open one.

If you are just taking notes then there's nothing wrong with just getting an iPad. It will do exactly the same job and you could even get an Apple Pencil to do handwritten notes and drawings. I found that university applications such as Blackboard, which is what Sheffield Hallam uses, don't run the same on iPad's and half the screen is cut off the age which gets really irritating after a while so I just tend to load everything up on my laptop and it's a lot quicker. Blackboard is where all my assignments are and faffing about with it would really stress me out.

Hope this helped, let me know if you have any more questions.
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey there @DaisyBastin !
I think this completely depends on what course it is you're doing. If your lectures will only require you to make notes and do the reading then an iPad would work absolutely fine. The only courses I would say it's better to have a laptop for are creative courses such as Graphic Design and Architecture lets say, just purely because it's much easier to take home any work with you that you've started in university and want to finish at home. It's a lot easier to access Adobe Creative Cloud on a laptop and it runs with a lot more detail than the iOS app uses. I also do find that a laptop runs a lot quicker than an iPad and a keyboard and is a bit more precise when clicking on things. For example, iPad's really irritate me when they open a new tab on every single little thing, you don't get this lag with a laptop and it doesn't take you directly onto a new tab every time you open one.

If you are just taking notes then there's nothing wrong with just getting an iPad. It will do exactly the same job and you could even get an Apple Pencil to do handwritten notes and drawings. I found that university applications such as Blackboard, which is what Sheffield Hallam uses, don't run the same on iPad's and half the screen is cut off the age which gets really irritating after a while so I just tend to load everything up on my laptop and it's a lot quicker. Blackboard is where all my assignments are and faffing about with it would really stress me out.

Hope this helped, let me know if you have any more questions.

I’d say technical courses also lend them selves to STEM courses participially for thing’s like solid works other cad packages VHDL etc stuff like that a laptop in that situation is very useful also you need a word processer for assignment’s being able to do it o your own pc weather it’s in you halls or uni or anywhere else is a big advantage particually around may when the pc’s in the uni will mostly be fully in use from like 9am-9pm.
Original post by jonathanemptage
I’d say technical courses also lend them selves to STEM courses participially for thing’s like solid works other cad packages VHDL etc stuff like that a laptop in that situation is very useful also you need a word processer for assignment’s being able to do it o your own pc weather it’s in you halls or uni or anywhere else is a big advantage particually around may when the pc’s in the uni will mostly be fully in use from like 9am-9pm.

Hey there @jonathanemptage !
Yes I fully agree! I also find that all-round my laptop holds better internet connection and I have less problems with it than I do my iPad. Whenever I need to look something up or do something on the internet, my laptop is always what I reach for rather than my iPad. It runs a lot smoother and the format of a laptop is built for the internet. I find using an iPad on the internet so fiddly and there's so much zooming out and clicking in and clicking out. Sometimes web pages don't even fit fully on my iPad screen. Navigation on a laptop is so much more linear. You'd probably also find it difficult to work on two different operating systems I imagine, especially when uni applications are built for computer systems.

Thanks for your reply!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending