The Student Room Group

University laptop/tablet

I've got all 5 offers for physics with astrophysics and want to buy a laptop or tablet for when I go either lancaster or Warwick. But I'm unsure which because obviously you cant really use a laptop for notes for physics yet it might be useful for lab reports and writing code. Yet a tablet would be good for notes but bad for reports and coding (I assume).
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
I've got all 5 offers for physics with astrophysics and want to buy a laptop or tablet for when I go either lancaster or Warwick. But I'm unsure which because obviously you cant really use a laptop for notes for physics yet it might be useful for lab reports and writing code. Yet a tablet would be good for notes but bad for reports and coding (I assume).

Also would I need a laptop for some of the apps I need? Or would a tablet be able to get and run them too?

Hi!

For my first two years of university, I used an iPad to take my notes, complete lab reports and essays. I honestly thought it was so helpful and it was capable of handling numerous software that I needed.

However, for my third year, I got a laptop. This is because the essays I was writing got longer, and I needed a larger screen and keyboard. Additionally, there were one or two softwares that the iPad couldn’t handle that the laptop could.

If you have super advanced software that isn’t available on the iPad, I would maybe advise getting a laptop

I hope this helps!

Estelle
Third Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield
Original post by Anonymous

Just write notes on paper.

Your choice between laptop and tablet should really be determined by your personal usage needs - there are plenty of computing clusters available at unis, both in general and the physics department will certainly have dedicated ones with all the relevant software they expect you to use.
Reply 4

Hi my daughter is a 4th year particle physics and cosmology student at Lancaster. Laptop is very useful for code. She uses Python and also took extra module in c++ all used on her laptop. When she did her presentation (called place) in 3rd year and will be in 4th year she will need her laptop. In first year you will be using LaTex.
Year 3 she went to a place called the ioutlet (online) and got an ipad and she uses that to take notes in lecturers. It was second hand but a very good second hand one. Youngest daughter has also used this company as well and hers is still going 4 years later. I would go for the laptop myself, and then go for a second hand good condition tablet a bit later on if you have any money spare, or get a job at the uni city and save up for one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending