The Student Room Group

AMA! I'm an anti-feminist, meat eating, atheist

Scroll to see replies

This post made me feel physically sick. I can understand why you might be frustrated if you feel like men's issues are being sidelined because of course they need to be addressed as well, but you need to appreciate that the issues that actual feminists really want to get to the bottom of at the moment are not the ones happening in this country necessarily.

For me, the major gender issues of the modern world are occurring in underdeveloped countries:

1. FGM (female genital mutilation; a practice where, among other parts, they cut out the clitoris)
2. Child marriage
3. Access to free education - everyone should have this privilege, unfortunately not everyone does

The other issues, like body image, gender in the media, stereotypes and their detrimental effects, the shocking suicide rates for men under 40, the wage gap (which does exist, there are laws against it but what tends to happen is there'll be two identical jobs, bu they'll have different names and that's how employers get away with it), the tampon tax, the lack of parity in parliament and management jobs, etc. are all serious issues as well, but I personally think that the three issues I've listed above are the most major gender-related issues of our day (and by this I don't mean as in of the UK, but of the world).

Someone mentioned earlier (I can't remember who, sorry) that it's unfair/undermining to teach men not to rape or something like that, so in response to this:

Often a counter-argument to the rape debate is the fact that in America more men than women are raped because of the male-prison system; so, who is that is predominantly raping these men in the male prison system? Other men. Obviously, to anyone with an ounce of common sense rape is inherently wrong, regardless of whether the victim is a man/woman and vice versa. However, as rape evidently does happen, somewhere along the lines someone isn't getting the message. So thought it might seem patronising, we do need to teach that rape is wrong around about the same time as when we teach kids about sex. As far as I'm concerned, both boys and girls need to be taught this. Besides that, girls are already constantly being told (not in education, but by parents and so on) how to 'not get raped' so to speak (a ridiculous concept as nobody wants to be raped so no one is ever asking for it). By this I mean, warning girls not to go down dark alleys alone, to carry rape whistles and/or pepper spray, to not dress in a certain way and be careful, etc. Of course, it's better to be safe than sorry, but perhaps if we addressed the issue from an earlier age and there was a better awareness by everyone that rape is wrong then we could deal with the issue from the root. Anna Akana (a youtuber) explains this a lot better than me: https://youtu.be/86ST_suvc9I

As an end-note, just to make it clear: feminism is about gender equality, it's the belief that men and women should have equal rights. That's all there is to it. So as far as I'm concerned, any 'man-hating feminists' (they tend to be the more radical ones) are not actually proper feminists in the same way that the KKK aren't actual Christians, etc; there's a term for women who hate men and it's misandry, so these 'feminists' are really misandrists. Personally, I think misandry is no better than misogyny.

Ultimately, we need to stop seeing each other in terms of gender and colour and instead start seeing each other as people.

Love and peace from,

a real-life feminist who wants to cry tears of sadness every time she sees someone write "feminazi" in the Youtube comments section xxx :hippie:

P.S. Anyone can be a feminist, just thought I might as well debunk that myth whilst I'm at it- I have lots of male feminists friends and there is an amazing movement called HeForShe which is definitely worth checking out: http://www.heforshe.org/en
Original post by ivybridge
So dense. No, radical feminism is part of radical feminism and feminism is part of feminism.

Men have no rights to fight for whereas attitudes to women are still horrendous.

Cool, whatever that means - lmao.

So are you going to be congruent and deny that Radical Islam has nothing to do with Islam?! :rolleyes:

A woman has the right to abort, adopt, or abandon her baby and there are no consequences for her decisions. A woman can have an abortion and no one can force her to keep the baby regardless of the father’s feelings. A woman is allowed to leave her baby in a safe place and walk away with no questions asked. A woman has the right to give her child up for adoption. It’s wonderful our country gives woman such liberties.

Why aren’t men given these same rights?

Why are men forced to be fathers when they don’t want to be? Why are men forced to pay child support for a child they did not want to have? Why are men allowed to be tricked into being a father? Why are men being punished for having sex?
Original post by bibliophile09
This post made me feel physically sick. I can understand why you might be frustrated if you feel like men's issues are being sidelined because of course they need to be addressed as well, but you need to appreciate that the issues that actual feminists really want to get to the bottom of at the moment are not the ones happening in this country necessarily.

For me, the major gender issues of the modern world are occurring in underdeveloped countries:

1. FGM (female genital mutilation; a practice where, among other parts, they cut out the clitoris)
2. Child marriage
3. Access to free education - everyone should have this privilege, unfortunately not everyone does

The other issues, like body image, gender in the media, stereotypes and their detrimental effects, the shocking suicide rates for men under 40, the wage gap (which does exist, there are laws against it but what tends to happen is there'll be two identical jobs, bu they'll have different names and that's how employers get away with it), the tampon tax, the lack of parity in parliament and management jobs, etc. are all serious issues as well, but I personally think that the three issues I've listed above are the most major gender-related issues of our day (and by this I don't mean as in of the UK, but of the world).

Someone mentioned earlier (I can't remember who, sorry) that it's unfair/undermining to teach men not to rape or something like that, so in response to this:

Often a counter-argument to the rape debate is the fact that in America more men than women are raped because of the male-prison system; so, who is that is predominantly raping these men in the male prison system? Other men. Obviously, to anyone with an ounce of common sense rape is inherently wrong, regardless of whether the victim is a man/woman and vice versa. However, as rape evidently does happen, somewhere along the lines someone isn't getting the message. So thought it might seem patronising, we do need to teach that rape is wrong around about the same time as when we teach kids about sex. As far as I'm concerned, both boys and girls need to be taught this. Besides that, girls are already constantly being told (not in education, but by parents and so on) how to 'not get raped' so to speak (a ridiculous concept as nobody wants to be raped so no one is ever asking for it). By this I mean, warning girls not to go down dark alleys alone, to carry rape whistles and/or pepper spray, to not dress in a certain way and be careful, etc. Of course, it's better to be safe than sorry, but perhaps if we addressed the issue from an earlier age and there was a better awareness by everyone that rape is wrong then we could deal with the issue from the root. Anna Akana (a youtuber) explains this a lot better than me: https://youtu.be/86ST_suvc9I

As an end-note, just to make it clear: feminism is about gender equality, it's the belief that men and women should have equal rights. That's all there is to it. So as far as I'm concerned, any 'man-hating feminists' (they tend to be the more radical ones) are not actually proper feminists in the same way that the KKK aren't actual Christians, etc; there's a term for women who hate men and it's misandry, so these 'feminists' are really misandrists. Personally, I think misandry is no better than misogyny.

Ultimately, we need to stop seeing each other in terms of gender and colour and instead start seeing each other as people.

Love and peace from,

a real-life feminist who wants to cry tears of sadness every time she sees someone write "feminazi" in the Youtube comments section xxx :hippie:

P.S. Anyone can be a feminist, just thought I might as well debunk that myth whilst I'm at it- I have lots of male feminists friends and there is an amazing movement called HeForShe which is definitely worth checking out: http://www.heforshe.org/en

Couldn't have put it better myself. This should be put on a giant poster and displayed all over the Internet :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Men have and already did have all the rights the world had to give.

Aside from the protection from genital mutilation at birth which women get in most western nations, and males in the US having to sign up for potential conscription while women do not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_Service_System#Who_must_register

I've got a worse one...

I voted Tory and I went to a private school!!!!!
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Aside from the protection from genital mutilation at birth which women get in most western nations, and males in the US having to sign up for potential conscription while women do not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_Service_System#Who_must_register

By genital mutilation are you referring to circumcision? Because if so just major lols at you - that is not mutilation.

Additionally, ask yourself why the second point is true... sexism? Views that promote ideas that say women are weaker and incapable? Ask yourself where the issue is then. With feminism, that view would be challenged. Do you see how you've just shot yourself in the foot?

Original post by MyAnacondaDoes
So are you going to be congruent and deny that Radical Islam has nothing to do with Islam?! :rolleyes:

A woman has the right to abort, adopt, or abandon her baby and there are no consequences for her decisions. A woman can have an abortion and no one can force her to keep the baby regardless of the father’s feelings. A woman is allowed to leave her baby in a safe place and walk away with no questions asked. A woman has the right to give her child up for adoption. It’s wonderful our country gives woman such liberties.

Why aren’t men given these same rights?

Why are men forced to be fathers when they don’t want to be? Why are men forced to pay child support for a child they did not want to have? Why are men allowed to be tricked into being a father? Why are men being punished for having sex?

I think that Islam and Feminism are incomparable issues. I guess you could say radical feminism sits on the feminism spectrum but it is not the same as feminism itself which is what you are trying to posit.

Abortion - men are not the ones carrying the baby in their womb. Let us forget the insane amount of men who abandon their girlfriends because they get pregnant. Women abandoning their children are not in the majority whereas with men it is because men have thought for years that the role of the woman is to bring up children and the role of the dad is solely to support that financially. Tell me that is not true. How can fathers not give a child up for adoption? Lol - it works both ways; if a mother wants to give it up, the father would have to approve.

Because they chose to stick their penis in a woman without protection - they made a conscious decision and it is your responsibility. Stop whinging like a child. Covered points two and three in this previous sentence or two. How are they being punished for having sex? What the **** are you talking about.
By genital mutilation are you referring to circumcision? Because if so just major lols at you - that is not mutilation.

Additionally, ask yourself why the second point is true... sexism? Views that promote ideas that say women are weaker and incapable? Ask yourself where the issue is then. With feminism, that view would be challenged. Do you see how you've just shot yourself in the foot?

Any reason as to why one is mutilation while the other is not, when both are effectively similar (unnecessary damage to genitalia)?
FGM. Female Genital Mutilation comprises all procedures that involve partial or total removal of the external female genitalia, or other injury to the female genital organs for non-medical reasons (WHO)...

...it is also sometimes referred to as female genital cutting or female circumcision

source: forwarduk.org.uk/key-issues/fgm/

If you spot a difference between that and circumcision lemme know

As to the second point, when I ask if the issue is sexism I see that women are allowed to join the army nowadays so my understanding of it is that women are getting privileges for no discernible reason, as if we're allowing them to join voluntarily then clearly we believe they're perfectly capable of fighting wars on the reg.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Any reason as to why one is mutilation while the other is not, when both are effectively similar (unnecessary damage to genitalia)?

If you spot a difference between that and circumcision lemme know

As to the second point, when I ask if the issue is sexism I see that women are allowed to join the army nowadays so my understanding of it is that women are getting privileges for no discernible reason, as if we're allowing them to join voluntarily then clearly we believe they're perfectly capable of fighting wars on the reg.

1. Circumcision is not damaging the penis and does not lead to the infertility of a man nor does it cause actual damage to the penis structure - it cuts away useless skin for generally sanitary reasons. FGM has none of these things. It is painful, damaging and unsanitary. Male circumcision also does not stop their sexual pleasure

They are not even remotely comparable - stop whinging.

2. Women still aren't allowed on the front line... just going to leave that single point there.

I'm done with this now - it goes around and around. Stop crying for no reason.
(edited 8 years ago)
1. Circumcision is not damaging the penis and does not lead to the infertility of a man nor does it cause actual damage to the penis structure - it cuts away useless skin for generally sanitary reasons. FGM has none of these things. It is painful, damaging and unsanitary. Male circumcision also does not stop their sexual pleasure

They are not even remotely comparable - stop whinging.

2. Women still aren't allowed on the front line... just going to leave that single point there.

Will google and re-educate myself for bolded point

As for the first bit, "stop whinging" about people getting part of their penis cut off at birth when they're unable to give consent to it, lmao okay
Original post by sw651
Why do you insults always turn to childishness? Sure insults are the epitome of immaturity?

Because I think that's about the level you operate on except I'm like the kid that excepts they're a kid and mucks about because childhood should be enjoyed and you're the kid with Jack ups who takes himself too seriously and hates on everyone... You know the "girls are smelly" moody type.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Would you rather have sex with a pig-ugly sexist pig or with a sexy pig's head? :beard:

Basically Cameron or Cameron's mistress is the choice here?
Reply 91
Original post by Little Popcorns
Because I think that's about the level you operate on except I'm like the kid that excepts they're a kid and mucks about because childhood should be enjoyed and you're the kid with Jack ups who takes himself too seriously and hates on everyone... You know the "girls are smelly" moody type.

Listen, I think we've had this argument before. I am not anti-woman, I'm against the ideology, and for the rights of everyone
Reply 92
Original post by sw651
Listen, I think we've had this argument before. I am not anti-woman, I'm against the ideology, and for the rights of everyone

you run away from me?
Reply 93
Original post by danr2
you run away from me?

1. No, I'm busy with work and only replying to some things.

2. You gave nothing conversational to reply to

3. I only respond to mature people, which you are not.

If you don't want to go on my ignore list I suggest you go away.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
"I'm an anti-feminist, meat eating, atheist and I talk to myself"

Savage...
it cuts away useless skin for generally sanitary reasons.

I swear if being circumcised was safer for your sexual health than not being circumcised, natural selection would already have got rid of foreskins.

In any case, if you wash it properly there's no reason why a foreskin should be a sanitary liability. It doesn't seem like enough of a reason to make a serious, irreversible decision about a person's body before they're able to have a say in it.
Reply 96
Original post by danr2
no? phahaha ****tard.. sober is informal:biggrin:

What the hell are you on about?
You should've just said "I'm normal, AMA"
Original post by sw651
and for the rights of everyone

Ah, so you're a feminist. Why didn't you say so?
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I swear if being circumcised was safer for your sexual health than not being circumcised, natural selection would already have got rid of foreskins.

In any case, if you wash it properly there's no reason why a foreskin should be a sanitary liability. It doesn't seem like enough of a reason to make a serious, irreversible decision about a person's body before they're able to have a say in it.

I think that it should be something left until you are older unless there's medical grounds but that wasn't necessarily the point.

Quick Reply

Latest