The Student Room Group

Getting to Cambridge: STEP by STEP!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1200
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Could you help me decompose x2x4+1dx\int \frac{x^{2}}{x^{4}+1} \mathrm{d}x?

Are you sure you don't mean x41+x2\frac{x^4}{1+x^2}?
Original post by Zacken
Are you sure you don't mean x41+x2\frac{x^4}{1+x^2}?

Nah that would have been simple using the Zacken method - I ran into this trying to integrate tanx\sqrt{\tan x}. :colondollar:
Reply 1202
Nah that would have been simple using the Zacken method - I ran into this trying to integrate tanx\sqrt{\tan x}. :colondollar:

Ah, okay. It's an ugly one and don't be be surprised at how ugly your answer will be. :tongue:

But, basically - the trick here is to note that x4+1=(x2+2x+1)(x22x1)x^4 + 1 = (x^2 +\sqrt{2}x + 1)(x^2 - \sqrt{2}x - 1) and then partial fraction it up.
Original post by Zacken
Ah, okay. It's an ugly one and don't be be surprised at how ugly your answer will be. :tongue:

But, basically - the trick here is to note that x4+1=(x2+2x+1)(x22x1)x^4 + 1 = (x^2 +\sqrt{2}x + 1)(x^2 - \sqrt{2}x - 1) and then partial fraction it up.

Disgusting :wtf:
Original post by Zacken

That is nasty. :dong: I've seen this method somewhere but I thought there must be an easier trick to make it simpler. Thank you either way. :biggrin:
Reply 1205
That is nasty. :dong: I've seen this method somewhere but I thought there must be an easier trick to make it simpler. Thank you either way. :biggrin:

If you want, I have the sexiest thing ever for integrating tanx\sqrt{\tan x} that may or may not cause accidental orgasms. :sexface:
Original post by Zacken
If you want, I have the sexiest thing ever for integrating tanx\sqrt{\tan x} that may or may not cause accidental orgasms. :sexface:

do share, Mr 420 :colone:
Original post by Zacken

How do you factorise x4+1x^4 + 1 in your head? :colondollar:
Reply 1208
Original post by Student403
Disgusting :wtf:

do share, Mr 420 :colone:

Here's something a little sexier:

Let I=tanxdxI = \int \sqrt{\tan x} \, \mathrm{d}x and J=cotxdxJ = \int \sqrt{\cot x} \, \mathrm{d}x, then:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{align*}I + J &= \int\left(\sqrt{\tan x} + \sqrt{\cot x}\right) \;\mathrm{d}x \\&= \sqrt{2} \int\frac{\sin x + \cos x}{\sqrt{\sin 2x}} \;\mathrm{d}x \\[5pt]&= \sqrt{2} \int\frac{(\sin x - \cos x)'}{\sqrt{1-(\sin x - \cos x)^2}} \;\mathrm{d}x \\[5pt]&= \sqrt{2} \sin^{-1}(\sin x - \cos x) + \mathcal{C}_1 \tag{1} \\\end{align*}

\displaystyle[br]\begin{align*}I - J&= \int\left(\sqrt{\tan x} - \sqrt{\cot x}\right) \;\mathrm{d}x \\&= \sqrt{2} \int\frac{(\sin x - \cos x)}{\sqrt{\sin 2x}} \;\mathrm{d}x \\&= -\sqrt{2} \int\frac{(\sin x + \cos x)'}{\sqrt{(\sin x + \cos x)^2 - 1}} \;\mathrm{d}x \\&= -\sqrt{2} \ln\left|(\sin x + \cos x) + \sqrt{(\sin x + \cos x)^2 - 1}\right| + \mathcal{C}_2 \tag{2} \\\end{align*}

Adding (1) and (2):

\displaystyle\begin{equation*} I = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \sin^{-1}(\sin x - \cos x) - \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \ln\left|\sin x + \cos x + \sqrt{\sin 2x} \vphantom{x^{x^x}} \right| + \mathcal{C}\end{equation*}

Reply 1209
Original post by Insight314

I remembered it, it's a fairly useful identity. But if you can't do it in your head, then it's fairly simple to write out x4+1=(x2+ax+1)(x2+bx+1)x^4 + 1 = (x^2 + ax + 1)(x^2 + bx+1) and then compare coefficients. :yep:
Original post by Zacken
X

Reply 1211

This is why I love you :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

@Ethereal World appreciate this :rofl:
Original post by Zacken
This is why I love you :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

@Ethereal World appreciate this :rofl:

Seriously dude wtaf 1) How long did that LaTeX take and 2) How on earth did you figure out that technique...
Reply 1213
Seriously dude wtaf 1) How long did that LaTeX take and 2) How on earth did you figure out that technique...

Oh, no. I can't take credit for that technique! I found that somewhere on the internet, there's no way I'm clever enough to come up with that on my lonesome. :lol:

LaTeX took quite a bit of time... ngl
Original post by Zacken

Same response ^

Looks similar to the classic cos x/(sin x + cos x), but on drugs.
Original post by Zacken
I remembered it, it's a fairly useful identity. But if you can't do it in your head, then it's fairly simple to write out x4+1=(x2+ax+1)(x2+bx+1)x^4 + 1 = (x^2 + ax + 1)(x^2 + bx+1) and then compare coefficients. :yep:

I know that all this comes with experience, but do you have any other useful identities? For example, I know a3b3=(a+b)(a2ab+b2)a^3 - b^3 = (a+b)(a^2 -ab + b^2) and completing the nth square generalised form - anbn=(ab)k=0n1an1kbka^n - b^n = (a-b)\displaystyle\sum_{k=0}^{n-1} a^{n-1-k}b^k.Also, I know that a3+b3=(ab)(a2+ab+b2)a^3+b^3 = (a-b)(a^2+ab+b^2) but I don't know a general form for factorising an+bna^n+b^n.
Original post by Zacken
Oh, no. I can't take credit for that technique! I found that somewhere on the internet, there's no way I'm clever enough to come up with that on my lonesome. :lol:

You are a machine...

Same response ^

Looks similar to the classic cos x/(sin x + cos x), but on drugs.

I literally have no words for that :rofl:
Reply 1217
Original post by Insight314

Just thought about this some more! Came up with this:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*} x^4 + 1 = x^4 + 2x^2 + 1 - 2x^2 = (x^2 + 1)^2 - (\sqrt{2}x)^2 = (x^2 + \sqrt{2}x +1)(x^2 - \sqrt{2}x + 1)\end{equation*}

Zacken style by adding zero then difference of two squares. :cool:
Original post by Zacken
Here's something a little sexier:

(clever stuff and fancy latex)

Get in my bed.
Original post by Zacken

These integrals remind me of Cleo's solutions on MathsStackExchange. I am not sure if you know her but she is the biggest troll on StackExchange. She solves some extremely complicated graduate level integrals (afaik, they are gibberish to me) and then just gives the answer without explaining her logic through it. :rofl: Here is one example of it: http://math.stackexchange.com/a/563063 (scroll up to see the actual integral)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending