The Student Room Group

Cambridge requirements for Indian students

Hello, I'm a student studying under the Indian CBSE board who's considering applying to Cambridge for Computer Science.
On Cambridge's international entry requirements page, they say that grade 12 results aren't enough to have a competitive application, and that they need to be supplemented with the following:
"Details are given below about the typical qualifications and levels expected to be achieved in addition to a very high level of performance in Class XII:

College Board Advanced Placement Tests - offers for all Cambridge courses (though please see the note on Mathematics under STEP below) may be made conditional on achieving grades of 5 in five or more AP Tests
IIT-JEE (Advanced) - offers for Chemical Engineering, Engineering, Natural Sciences (Physical) may be made conditional on a rank of <2000 in the IIT JEE (Advanced)
STEP - offers for Mathematics will be conditional on achievement in the Sixth Term Examination Paper (STEP). STEP may also be required for offers for other subjects, such as Computer Science, Engineering, and Economics, where attainment equivalent to A Level Mathematics and/or Further Mathematics cannot be demonstrated by any other means. Please note that all Mathematics offers will have a STEP condition attached (including for applicants taking AP Tests or the IIT JEE). See our STEP webpage for more information."
Is it necessary to complete all of these or just 1? It's too late for me to do 5 APs this year. And I'm assuming the IITJEE condition doesn't apply to a CS application?
Original post by admaster5678
Hello, I'm a student studying under the Indian CBSE board who's considering applying to Cambridge for Computer Science.
On Cambridge's international entry requirements page, they say that grade 12 results aren't enough to have a competitive application, and that they need to be supplemented with the following:
"Details are given below about the typical qualifications and levels expected to be achieved in addition to a very high level of performance in Class XII:

College Board Advanced Placement Tests - offers for all Cambridge courses (though please see the note on Mathematics under STEP below) may be made conditional on achieving grades of 5 in five or more AP Tests
IIT-JEE (Advanced) - offers for Chemical Engineering, Engineering, Natural Sciences (Physical) may be made conditional on a rank of <2000 in the IIT JEE (Advanced)
STEP - offers for Mathematics will be conditional on achievement in the Sixth Term Examination Paper (STEP). STEP may also be required for offers for other subjects, such as Computer Science, Engineering, and Economics, where attainment equivalent to A Level Mathematics and/or Further Mathematics cannot be demonstrated by any other means. Please note that all Mathematics offers will have a STEP condition attached (including for applicants taking AP Tests or the IIT JEE). See our STEP webpage for more information."
Is it necessary to complete all of these or just 1? It's too late for me to do 5 APs this year. And I'm assuming the IITJEE condition doesn't apply to a CS application?

Probably best off to just contact them to find out.

My reading would be that you need

A very high level of performance in Class XII
plus
College Board Advanced Placement Tests - because it says 'all courses'
plus,
if you cannot demonstrate attainment equivalent to A level Maths and/or Further Maths, you may be asked to sit STEP

You don't need IIT-JEE (Advanced) because you aren't applying for Chem Eng, Eng or NatSci (Phys)
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
My reading would be that you need

A very high level of performance in Class XII
plus
College Board Advanced Placement Tests - because it says 'all courses'
plus,
if you cannot demonstrate attainment equivalent to A level Maths and/or Further Maths, you may be asked to sit STEP

You don't need IIT-JEE (Advanced) because you aren't applying for Chem Eng, Eng or NatSci (Phys)

Alright, thanks.
Reply 4
Alright, thanks.

Your an Indian student. You should find STEP easy. Furthermore, it is not that hard to squeeze in AP's. I'm pretty sure you can take them remotely. Stuff like Calc AB/Physics I and II should be very easy for you. I think India has a harder version of these. all you have to change is probably the way you structure your answer etc

If your dying to get into Cambridge, after 12th boards, take a gap and study for any of these exams by yourself, but that will be a waste of a year, or just try to CS in IIT instead, and apply for postgrad.

If your in 11th or 10th, its not too late. You just will have to squeeze it in, but if your in 12th, it could be late
SO STUDY FOR IIT Eitherway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending