The Student Room Group

MSc

I have offers from LSE, Imperial, CASS, Warwick for their MSc Management programmes. I did my undergrad outside UK, so I don't know too much about these schools, so I don't have a clear preference yet.

Would appreciate if you could tell me the pros and cons of these schools. I am interested in the relative employment prospects of their grads, in general - I don't know exactly what I want to do yet. Probably consultancy.

Time and cost are my concerns too. CASS and Warwick have offered me a scholarship, making them the cheapest option. LSE's programme is the most expensive AND an extra year long (but may have a chance to study at the prestigious business universities in Europe or US such as Cornell University, HEC Paris, McCombs School of Business...)

Thank you!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi...?!
Having LSE on your CV will def put you at an advantage and an investment that will quickly pay off.

Imperial and Warwick I'd say they're quite equal…(maybe the imperial name will get you further) Cass may be the worst among four of them… I would say having a Management Master from a non-top tier school may be a waste of money jus like having an MBA from a non top-tier b-school wont actually help that much...
Definitely not CASS… NO global impact, NO future prospect
Doing a Master at CASS is a waste of money and time.
Do you even know what sort of career you want to go into?
I find it worrying that people can graduate and still be clueless. :s
Bear in mind that degree will never guarantee you a job
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ineedhelp1
Definitely not CASS… NO global impact, NO future prospect
Doing a Master at CASS is a waste of money and time.
Do you even know what sort of career you want to go into?
I find it worrying that people can graduate and still be clueless. :s
Bear in mind that degree will never guarantee you a job

Although I would tend to agree that LSE and Imperial have a better reputation than Cass, I disagree strongly that doing a MSc at Cass is a waste of money. Here is why:

1) The entry requirements for almost all courses at Cass is very high. For a MSc you will need at least a 2:1 bachelors degree. For most undergraduate courses you will need at least AAA in your A Levels or 35 points (International International Baccalaureate) overall including 6 in all Higher Level subjects and 5 in all Standard Level subjects.

2) Cass belongs to City University. City University is a plate glass university gaining university status in the 60's. Other known plate glass universities are Warwick, Bath, Surrey, Brunel, East Anglia etc. Plate glass universities tend to have good academic reputations.

3) On 16 July 2015 it was announced that City University would join the federal University of London, becoming one of its constituent colleges from August 2016. The university of London is a well renowned institution. City greatly benefits from being part of such a famous institution.

4) In the Financial Times Full Time Global MBA 2016 ranking, Cass is now ranked 37th in the world, 13th in Europe and 6th in the UK. The MBA rankings are considered to be a good indicator of how good a business school is. Link: http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/global-mba-ranking-2016

5) The efinancialcareers website has compiled an interesting ranking on the top 30 masters in finance for getting a job in investment banking. Cass scores very high in this ranking. It is placed 4th in the UK and 9th overall. Link:
http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/154088/the-top-30-masters-in-finance-for-getting-a-job-in-investment-banking/

6) LinkedIn has used an interesting methodology for ranking universities by the sector their graduates work in. They looked at alumni working in finance, and ranked them in terms of how desirable the jobs they did were. The ranking thus reflects the universities that got the most graduates into the most desirable jobs. Cass is ranked 13th for finance jobs in general and 11th for investment banking jobs. Links:
https://www.linkedin.com/edu/rankings/gb/undergraduate-finance?trk=edu-rankings-ctg-card

https://www.linkedin.com/edu/rankings/gb/undergraduate-investment-banking?trk=edu-rankings-ctg-card

7) The Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 has rated Cass 6th in the UK for Business and Management research. According to HEFCE data, 84% of Cass research submitted was classified as world-leading (4*) or internationally excellent (3*).

So overall you can see that by almost any metric Cass is a very good business school. It might now have the reputation of London Business school but it is definitely a top UK business school.
I just accepted my offer from imperial today (for a finance based course not management), so if i seem biased it would be due to that fact.

I would say LSE should be by far be your choice Warwick and Imperial are excellent (CASS doesn't compare to these 3) but LSE is just another level followed by probably imperial.
Reply 6
Original post by Oilfreak1
I just accepted my offer from imperial today (for a finance based course not management), so if i seem biased it would be due to that fact.

I would say LSE should be by far be your choice Warwick and Imperial are excellent (CASS doesn't compare to these 3) but LSE is just another level followed by probably imperial.

Hi Oilfreak1, congrats for the offer! Do you mind sharing interview questions? I have applied to the MSc in Finance, and have to complete a video interview very soon!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending