The Student Room Group

BEng + MSc vs MEng if already secured a grad role

Hi all,

I am currently on BEng + Year in Industry. The company I did this with sponsored me and will be offering me with a graduate role in 2024. They have explained, however, that if I wanted to extend my course they would also be happy to delay until 2025 provided I work over summer 2024.

This company also has a scholarship scheme which would pay for the MSc.

I'm interested in transferring onto MEng and then completing my MSc as well with the company. Would this make any sense at all? I'm ultimately interested in making myself as employable as possible should I wish to change employer in the future.

It's unlikely that the scholarship scheme would be withdrawn but if it were to be, I'd ultimately be stuck or facing a huge sum for the MSc. It seems risky to rely solely on the scholarship MSc for master's prospects as I will be pursuing chartership and this is a requirement.

Ultimately: Does it make sense to do MEng + MSc in terms of finance (missing a year's salary) and would it make a lot of difference once I'm in the industry and looking at changing roles?

Thank you all.
Original post by Faris_H
Hi all,

I am currently on BEng + Year in Industry. The company I did this with sponsored me and will be offering me with a graduate role in 2024. They have explained, however, that if I wanted to extend my course they would also be happy to delay until 2025 provided I work over summer 2024.

I'm interested in transferring onto MEng and then completing my MSc as well with the company. Would this make any sense at all? I'm ultimately interested in making myself as employable as possible should I wish to change employer in the future.

It's unlikely that the scholarship scheme would be withdrawn but if it were to be, I'd ultimately be stuck or facing a huge sum for the MSc. It seems risky to rely solely on the scholarship MSc for master's prospects as I will be pursuing chartership and this is a requirement.

Ultimately: Does it make sense to do MEng + MSc in terms of finance (missing a year's salary) and would it make a lot of difference once I'm in the industry and looking at changing roles?

Thank you all.

No, no point in doing both an MEng and an MSc, unless the MSc is a different field that you want to try to break into.
Original post by Faris_H
Hi all,

Thank you all.

Doesn’t really make sense to do an MEng followed by an MSc, I would probably go ask if they’ll put the masters funding in writing before making the move (although they may ask you to work for 12-24 months afterwards in the same contract) - that way you don’t have to worry about funding being withdrawn.

Quick Reply

Latest