The Student Room Group

C4 double angle proof exam question help!

question being uploaded..
Reply 1
image.jpg
I dont understand the second step written in pencil how in the mark scheme it just multiplies 2sinxcosx by cosx on numerator and denominator. How is it not 2sinxcos^2x - sinx?
Original post by AndyOC
image.jpg
I dont understand the second step written in pencil how in the mark scheme it just multiplies 2sinxcosx by cosx on numerator and denominator. How is it not 2sinxcos^2x - sinx?

Only the first term was multiplied by cos(x)cos(x)

2sin(x)cos(x)1cos(x)cos(x)\frac{2sin(x)cos(x)}{1}*\frac{cos(x)}{cos(x)}
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by 123Master321
Only the first fraction was multiplied by cos(x)cos(x)

2sin(x)cos(x)1cos(x)cos(x)\frac{2sin(x)cos(x)}{1}*\frac{cos(x)}{cos(x)}

I didn't realise you could just do that, is it the same with all trig proof questions then?
Original post by AndyOC
I didn't realise you could just do that, is it the same with all trig proof questions then?

The reason you can do that is because you are effectively only multiplying by 1 as cos(x)cos(x)=1\frac{cos(x)}{cos(x)}=1
Im not sure what you mean " is it the same with all trig proof questions then"
Reply 5
Original post by 123Master321
The reason you can do that is because you are effectively only multiplying by 1 as cos(x)cos(x)=1\frac{cos(x)}{cos(x)}=1
Im not sure what you mean " is it the same with all trig proof questions then"

Ah yeah I see now don't worry, I was just a bit confused because i didn't really think about it like that. Thanks for the help!
Original post by AndyOC
Ah yeah I see now don't worry, I was just a bit confused because i didn't really think about it like that. Thanks for the help!

No problem!! Glad I could help

Quick Reply

Latest