The Student Room Group

Algebra question

Pulling a page from TeeEm's book, this place is dead, let's liven things up, have a go at this question:

Given that x,yx, y and zz are distinct, non-zero real numbers, we are told they satisfy

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*} x + \frac{1}{y} = y + \frac{1}{z} = z + \frac{1}{x}\end{equation*}[br]

Show that x2y2z2=1x^2 y^2 z^2 = 1 and that x+1y=±1\displaystyle x + \frac{1}{y} = \pm 1.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Zacken
Pulling a page from TeeEm's book, this place is dead, let's liven things up, have a go at this question:

Given that x,yx, y and zz are distinct, non-zero real numbers, we are told they satisfy

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*} x + \frac{1}{y} = y + \frac{1}{z} = z + \frac{1}{x}\end{equation*}[br]

Show that x2y2z2=1x^2 y^2 z^2 = 1 and that x+1y=±1\displaystyle x + \frac{1}{y} = \pm 1.

stolen already ...
Reply 2
No takers? What about this one:

If I place a point PP in a square QRSTQRST, what is the probability that the angle QPRQPR is acute?
Reply 3
Original post by Zacken

If I place a point PP in a square QRSTQRST, what is the probability that the angle QPRQPR is acute?

I now how to do both but I exclude myself ... the second you need to give a hint

By the way this picture does not look nothing like the other picture. Which one is you?
Reply 4
Original post by TeeEm
I now how to do both but I exclude myself ... the second you need to give a hint

Yeah, you don't count! :tongue:

By the way this picture does not look nothing like the other picture. Which one is you?

They're both me. :yep:
Original post by Zacken

mind if i post a question here from my HW
Reply 6
Original post by I.sarkar
mind if i post a question here from my HW

Why don't you post a new thread and tag me on it? I'll be glad to help.
Original post by Zacken

Was this a Maths Challenge question once upon a time? Or something similar?
Reply 8
Original post by tiny hobbit
Was this a Maths Challenge question once upon a time? Or something similar?

Fairly recently? I think. SMC 2008-2010, somewhere in there.
Original post by Zacken

I thought I recognised it. It's either that or I'm very smart this afternoon (which seems unlikely).
Reply 10
Original post by tiny hobbit
I thought I recognised it. It's either that or I'm very smart this afternoon (which seems unlikely).

It's a nice and snappy question, the kind of thing you do on a napkin with friends over lunch, my favourite kind. :yep:
Original post by Zacken

EDIT: OOPs lol ofc not - hold on gimme a sec

Spoiler

Reply 12
Original post by Student403

Spoiler

Not quite.
Original post by Zacken
Not quite.

Just realised yeah haha im being an idiot
Reply 14
Just realised yeah haha im being an idiot

I think you got the right answer but just made a silly slip at the end. :yep:
Original post by Zacken
I think you got the right answer but just made a silly slip at the end. :yep:
Cheers yeah I realised :')

Original post by Zacken
Not quite.

Spoiler

Original post by Zacken

done, i think you take the y over to the other side and integrate with respect to theta?
Reply 17

Spoiler

Yep, good job. :yep:

I think it looks slightly prettier in the unsimplified form though. :biggrin:
Original post by Zacken
Yep, good job. :yep:

I think it looks slightly prettier in the unsimplified form though. :biggrin:

Definitely :biggrin: Do you know which Q number this was in the SMC?
Cheers yeah I realised :':wink:

Spoiler

you can simplify that to 4pi/4

Quick Reply

Latest