The Student Room Group

STEP Blog of Virgin Duke

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
hi

reported
Update: I finished a mock yesterday and also have tried STEP 3 1998. I am still not sure whether to write STEP 3 or not as I find it extremely difficult.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Duke Glacia
Update: I finished a mock yesterday and also have tried STEP 3 1998. I am still not sure whether to write STEP 3 or not as I find it extremely difficult.

Spoiler

Yay

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43

stop being mean
Original post by Zacken
stop being mean

Piff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
stop being mean

How much would you cut for not showing that x=4 is invalid and x=0 is invalid in Q 1 STEP 2 2004(and writing X=4,1,0 for all three) ? and how much mark for solving part (i) of Q8 ???
Reply 46
How much would you cut for not showing that x=4 is invalid and x=0 is invalid in Q 1 STEP 2 2004 ?

4/5 marks. IIRC, x=0, 1, 4 are solutions to the first part. x=1,4 or 0,1 are solutions to the second one and x=0,1 or 1,4 (basically the opposite of the second one) are the solutions for the third one.

and how much mark for solving part (i) of Q8 ???

4 marks.
Original post by Zacken
4/5 marks. IIRC, x=0, 1, 4 are solutions to the first part. x=1,4 or 0,1 are solutions to the second one and x=0,1 or 1,4 (basically the opposite of the second one) are the solutions for the third one.

4 marks.

3 marks cut for the first one ? as i showed working ???:redface:
Reply 48
3 marks cut for the first one ? as i showed working ???:redface:

Sorry, not sure what you're asking?
Original post by Zacken
Sorry, not sure what you're asking?

Q1 i need one more zacken jsut one more point :cry:

Spoiler

Reply 50
Q1 i need one more zacken jsut one more point :cry:

Spoiler

Give yourself 5 marks for Q8(i), I suppose. :tongue:
:u:PDATE:

STEP 2 2004 Mock 98/120 S

A very nice paper. And I understood the significance of going thoroughly through each question before attempting it. Choice of question really matters.

Q1, 15/20 I thought this was a very easy question but in the end I lost most marks on this. Didnt realize that x=4,0 are invalid for some cases.

Q2, 19/20 Drew the graph but forgot the asymptote. At first the question seemed very complex and hard to understand but once u get it its fine.

Q3, 20/20 I spent most time on this question apparently because i was confused whether x=2 is a stationary point or not. (As the second deri was zero but also the third deri)

Q5,20/20 Pretty tricky imho. And im still not satisfied with substituting x inplace of t(though i just did it in the mock)

Q8 4/20

Q11, 20/20 I thought power question was easy but after the mock i realised that q9 was easier and quicker to do.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 52

Q3, 20/20 I spent most time on this question apparently because i was confused whether x=2 is a stationary point or not. (As the second deri was zero but also the third deri)

If the first derivative is zero, then the point is a stationary point. These stationary points could be any of (i) a maximum (ii) a minimum (iii) an inflection point. If the second derivative is zero, then it is an inflection point unless the third derivative is also zero. In which case you need to investigate signs for the nature of the stationary point.
Original post by Zacken
If the first derivative is zero, then the point is a stationary point. These stationary points could be any of (i) a maximum (ii) a minimum (iii) an inflection point. If the second derivative is zero, then it is an inflection point unless the third derivative is also zero. In which case you need to investigate signs for the nature of the stationary point.

sorry i was confused whether its a min point or a point of inflexion. Lokking at the dy/dx(after and before x=2) told me that it should be a min point but looking at the second deri told me it might be an point of inflexion but the third deri told me its not so. So i thought i went wrong with the algebra, :tongue:Thnx m8
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 54
sorry i was confused whether its a min point or a point of inflexion. Lokking at the dy/dx told me that it should be a min point but looking at the second deri told me it might be an point of inflexion but the third deri told me its not so. So i thought i went wrong with the algebra, :tongue:

Yes, that's what I'm saying. The second derivative being zero means it's a point of inflection unless the third derivative also vanishes at that point. In which case the second derivative reveals nothing about the nature of the point and you should only look at the first derivative.
Original post by Zacken
Yes, that's what I'm saying. The second derivative being zero means it's a point of inflection unless the third derivative also vanishes at that point. In which case the second derivative reveals nothing about the nature of the point and you should only look at the first derivative.

:no:C2 m8............................need to revise em.Thnx
UPDATE:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Well done mate. Keep it up! :smile:

Spoiler

Well done dude. Keep it up :yy:!

Quick Reply