The Student Room Group

English Literature essay writing.

I'm awful at writing introductions and conclusions to my essays. Could anyone give me some tips as to how to write them? Like sentence starters and what to include, thank you!:smile:
Generally, introductions aren't that important but in your conclusion you should keep it concise and try not to repeat what you've already said.
E.g. To conclude....because......which is shown by....
Reply 2
I've never really considered them that important, but my teacher keep banging on about how important they are and 'we're getting marked down if they're not strong enough' or something like that😁😁
Thank you for the advice and stuff for conclusions(:
Original post by Heyitslarr
I'm awful at writing introductions and conclusions to my essays. Could anyone give me some tips as to how to write them? Like sentence starters and what to include, thank you!:smile:

Your Introduction is typically what your essay will include and what are your aims and purpose of the essay will be. What are you trying to do: are you investigating, critiquing, analysing, examining certain things? Ultimately, you are telling the reader what they will be reading. A little bit of contextual background is usually necessary and the main points of the main body of work should be included in the introduction. Your introduction usually should be around 200-300 words.

In the Conclusion you are summing up what the reader has read and your final thoughts on what you have just discovered through not using any first personal pronouns such as "I". You are demonstrating to the reader that you have come to a formative conclusion of what you overall think and what your essay has shown from your own understanding of the main body of the essay. Your conclusion should be around 200 words.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest