The Student Room Group

A-Levels for law

Hey im currently an year 12 student and I would to study law for my degree but I picked my subjects and am not sure whether its good enough for law, as im taking English Literature, English Language, Drama and Psychology and wanted to know if im making the right decisions and some advice thank you!
As far as I'm aware you don't need to do any specific subjects to do law at uni so it should be fine
Reply 2
There are NO specific A level subjects required for Law - you just need three high grades.
So choose 3 subjects you will enjoy studying and where you feel confident of A grades.

And look at some other social science degree subjects as well - Politics, Social Policy, International Relations etc - they might interest you more than Law.
Original post by heavenlyfallen
Hey im currently an year 12 student and I would to study law for my degree but I picked my subjects and am not sure whether its good enough for law, as im taking English Literature, English Language, Drama and Psychology and wanted to know if im making the right decisions and some advice thank you!

Hi there @heavenlyfallen

It is nice to hear that you are thinking about you University options. :smile:

Those are good choices for getting into a law degree. (There are no required subjects for entering a law degree, rather it focuses on what grades you acheive). However, I find that any essay writing subjects will be really helpful. A law degree mainly has a lot of coursework and exams that are essays based, so any experience that you can get with writing will be good. :smile:

So focus on achieving good grades in your studies and gaining some work experience will make a good application. :smile:

Hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 4
They are great A-levels for law as they are essay based. No point doing 4 though, as it gives you no advantage. Drop one that you enjoy the least, or you think you will get the lowest grade in. Doing an EPQ would be better than a 4th, particularly for the hyper competitive unis where you need a lot of super curiculars to get in.
Original post by heavenlyfallen

I have some concerns your first 3 are too similar. LSE for example dont like English Language and Literature as separate subjects. Do some research into this and what other universities look at. Take 3 not 4 A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest