The Student Room Group

Am I the only one strugging with A2 AQA chemistry? Even with revising since day 1

I dont understand it. I actually did pretty well with AS. I got BB in the exams, but a bad ISA brought it down to a C (my teachers fault :angry:). Even so im struggling with A2 even though i study quite alot, In class everyone seems to be better than me even though getting lower grades than me at AS. Anyone in the same shows.
Reply 1
Original post by Shiv is Light
I dont understand it. I actually did pretty well with AS. I got BB in the exams, but a bad ISA brought it down to a C (my teachers fault :angry:). Even so im struggling with A2 even though i study quite alot, In class everyone seems to be better than me even though getting lower grades than me at AS. Anyone in the same shows.

Just because you have been a revision boss doesn't translate necessarily to a chemistry genius.

Perhaps its the way you are revising? Are you simply reading the textbook? Maybe it's the fact that you're more capable of swallowing a lot of information but less capable of applying said information to problems. When you say revising, do you mean reading ahead as well? If you don't, maybe people get it just because they read ahead. If you do, maybe you don't understand it the first time you read it.

Perhaps the content is just really really difficult (although it's AQA, I doubt it and I know cos I do it too)

Is it across the whole of chemistry? Or Chem4/5? Maybe you need to direct your attention to a certain part of chemistry.

Have you been practising and consolidating your understanding with example questions? That is the best way to revise because you're proving that you understand the topic using something that'll look similar this Summer.
Original post by RMNDK
Just because you have been a revision boss doesn't translate necessarily to a chemistry genius.

Perhaps its the way you are revising? Are you simply reading the textbook? Maybe it's the fact that you're more capable of swallowing a lot of information but less capable of applying said information to problems. When you say revising, do you mean reading ahead as well? If you don't, maybe people get it just because they read ahead. If you do, maybe you don't understand it the first time you read it.

Perhaps the content is just really really difficult (although it's AQA, I doubt it and I know cos I do it too)

Is it across the whole of chemistry? Or Chem4/5? Maybe you need to direct your attention to a certain part of chemistry.

Have you been practising and consolidating your understanding with example questions? That is the best way to revise because you're proving that you understand the topic using something that'll look similar this Summer.

When i revise i do it thoroughly. I read the textbook, highlight it, make note, watch youtube videos do the summary questions.
Reply 3
i did a2 chem last year and i did struggle with it, I would recommend doing extra reading on chemistry (as there is a lot of HSW in exams) and doing every past paper there is, even legacy ones.

Quick Reply

Latest