The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Music 2015/2016 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

I took this exam last year.

If I can find it I'll post a pretty good revision booklet that I got sent last year for you all if you want?

Good luck guys! Any questions feel free to ask.
Reply 21
Original post by Midnightmemories
I took this exam last year.

If I can find it I'll post a pretty good revision booklet that I got sent last year for you all if you want?

Good luck guys! Any questions feel free to ask.

I'd really appreciate it if you did post that booklet!
Reply 22
Original post by M141
Hey! Firstly thanks for those resources :bigsmile:,
1. Favorite: And The Glory Of The Lord (Closely followed by Something's Coming)
2. Least Favorite: Rag Desh
3. Most confident: And The Glory Of The Lord
4. Lest confident: Rag Desh (If you look carefully you may be able to see a relation between how much I like it and how confident I am in it!)
5. Regret?: Um... Sorry for starting this thread off on such a negative note, but yes, yes I do, very much. It is easily my worst subject, by far :frown:.
6. Revising yet?: I plan to start soon... *cue inevitable procrastination*

Predictions? I'm hoping for Handel, but we never know. https://imgur.com/bRSNhbP - This seems relevant, but it was wrong for 2015, it seems Edexcel are mixing it up :mad:. Oh and last years revision threads are also quite useful.

Spoiler

I am so terrified for this exam! But I got 28/30 and 30/30 on performances and 29/30 and 30/30 on compositions so should help a little!

1) Something's coming is definitely my favourite. I'm obsessed with musicals!
2) Grace and Electric Counterpoint. I hate them both!
3) Probably 'And the Glory of the Lord' or 'All Blues'
4) Everything else 😂 Mostly Rag Desh and Grace.
5) In a way. I regret it because the course is a complete waste of time. But I became close to another girl I wouldn't have otherwise because of it, and get incredible amounts of support from my teacher!
6) Yep! Have been for months!

Predictions - Capercaille seems quite likely (****!) but really, who knows?!
Original post by asox
PEARSON EDEXCEL GCSE MUSIC THREAD

Here are some resources which may be useful for revision:

Resource 1
Resource 2
Resource 3
Resource 4
Resource 5

Also, post your answers to the following questions:
1 Favourite Set Piece
2 Least Favourite Set Piece
3 Most Confident Set Piece
4 Least Confident Set Piece
5 Do You Regret Taking Music?
6 Have You Started Revising Yet

Predictions for the essays in Section B of the paper are also helpful so if you have any suggestions please say.

Other Resources would also be useful!

:smile:

Favourite : mozart symphony 40 (i think its an absolute banger)
Least favourite : rag desh
Most confident: any of AoS1
Least confident: electric counterpoint
Not really, i love the class and th music department at my school is amazing (music is quite difficult though)
Yep been revising for a while

My teacher reckons it could be capercaillie or handel as the essay question
Anyon got any good methods of revision? I've got mr tights for all set works and questions on quizlet
Any ideas would be amazing :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by georginarowley
Anyon got any good methods of revision? I've got mr tights for all set works and questions on quizlet
Any ideas would be amazing :smile:

What's Mr Tights? Stressing so much now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is amazing. :rofl:

[video="youtube;CELDWcSHYA4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CELDWcSHYA4[/video]
Please would you post it! It would be really helpful :smile:
Music going well! 60/60 on performances and 55/60 on composition.

1 Favourite Set Piece - Chopin. Sounds much better than the others and is enjoyable to revise

2 Least Favourite Set Piece - Rag Desh/Peripetie. Cause idk why it's even music

3 Most Confident Set Piece - Moby

4 Least Confident Set Piece - Capercaillie

5 Do You Regret Taking Music? - Yeah. Listening is incredibly boring

6 Have You Started Revising Yet - For a couple of months now

How are we supposed to structure the essay? Is it just two points per bullet point with some musical terminology? My teacher says they mark us down on points we miss, not up on points we get but not sure if she's being accurate
Reply 29
Original post by zeldor711
Music going well! 60/60 on performances and 55/60 on composition.

1 Favourite Set Piece - Chopin. Sounds much better than the others and is enjoyable to revise

2 Least Favourite Set Piece - Rag Desh/Peripetie. Cause idk why it's even music

3 Most Confident Set Piece - Moby

4 Least Confident Set Piece - Capercaillie

5 Do You Regret Taking Music? - Yeah. Listening is incredibly boring

6 Have You Started Revising Yet - For a couple of months now

How are we supposed to structure the essay? Is it just two points per bullet point with some musical terminology? My teacher says they mark us down on points we miss, not up on points we get but not sure if she's being accurate

Generally, they mark you on points you've made but not exactly. Do you want me to post an example of an A*(10/10) essay? If so, let me know which set work and I can easily do it for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kxjzh
Generally, they mark you on points you've made but not exactly. Do you want me to post an example of an A*(10/10) essay? If so, let me know which set work and I can easily do it for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would be great, thanks. Could you do one on Capercaillie?
Original post by Kxjzh

Could you please do one for Handel and Chopin please
1 Favourite Set Piece - Electric Counterpoint. The guitars are strangely hypnotising for me o3o
2 Least Favourite Set Piece -
3 Most Confident Set Piece - Rag Desh. I think I revised all of them so much to a point that I know it scarily well.
4 Least Confident Set Piece - Probably Peripetie. It's really easy to describe its craziness but I can't HANDEL (terrible pun) the specific questions
5 Do You Regret Taking Music? I did at first because the lessons were so boring but it's actually not that bad.
6 Have You Started Revising Yet - It's been on and off. I've made all of my notes and there have been some random revision sessions but I haven't really looked at it intensely since mocks :P
Reply 33

Of course yes! You're motivating me to do some revision now too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
[QUOTE="tinyshadow0;65032343"]
Original post by Kxjzh

Yes of course! I'll try and do it today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35

Here's Capercaille! I've included everything so obviously you would only be asked about five of these elements.
Reply 36
[QUOTE="tinyshadow0;65032343"]
Original post by Kxjzh

Here are Handel and Chopin! I've written about any elements you could be asked about for an essay but obviously you would only be asked about five of these.
Original post by Kxjzh
Here's Capercaille! I've included everything so obviously you would only be asked about five of these elements.

Thank you! Puts my mind to ease compared to the insane amount our teacher would have us write for 10 marks
Reply 38
Thank you! Puts my mind to ease compared to the insane amount our teacher would have us write for 10 marks

Haha! Well, I've included all the information I have and that has been marked at 10 marks previously so hopefully!

Posted from TSR Mobile
1 Favourite Set Piece: deffo moby or grace, both have easy features to learn
2 Least Favourite Set Piece: probably rag dish because the instruments are hard to tell apart and its so boring to listen to
3 Most Confident Set Piece: probably moby, i find the features and structure quite simple and i think when you like a piece its easier to learn
4 Least Confident Set Piece: probably the handel one because there is so much you need to know and there are so many instruments its so confusing
5 Do You Regret Taking Music? not really, i think the composition and performance is good but the actually listening exam is just recall and learning and not too much about musical understanding

Does anyone have any good revision techniques that are helpful, could really do with some

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending