The Student Room Group

Changing address - insurance/log book

So my mum moved house recently,
and I've just got my driving licence changed to her new address.

Only issue is I'm between burying the log book now and phoning my insurer, who I know are going to find some way to charge me a hefty admin fee.

My mum only moved into the house last week and has been staying with relatives because there were some delays and the people in my old address have sent back my post from the council for a bus lane fine and my insurer to the postman! (****)
Has anyone ever had this problem before?

Do insurers tend to charge much for changing address (risk area is the same level)
And how long do you DVLA give you to register a new car to a new address - i've seen a lot of stuff about fines, but it's finding that bloody log book in all the boxes....

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by mcgreevy1993

My mum only moved into the house last week and has been staying with relatives because there were some delays and the people in my old address have sent back my post from the council for a bus lane fine and my insurer to the postman! (****)
Has anyone ever had this problem before?

This is why you get your mail held or redirected.

Do insurers tend to charge much for changing address (risk area is the same level)

Depends on the insurer, but there will be an admin fee. If the fee is excessive you can complain I suppose.

And how long do you DVLA give you to register a new car to a new address - i've seen a lot of stuff about fines, but it's finding that bloody log book in all the boxes...
Thanks in advance

There is no mega rush. The only issue will be that tax renewal letters will get sent to the registered keeper address so you could forget to tax the vehicle which you will probably be fined for. As long as you get it sorted within the next few weeks and you should be ok.
Reply 2

Have a read here. If they charge you an unreasonable amount you may be able to contest it.

And how long do you DVLA give you to register a new car to a new address - i've seen a lot of stuff about fines, but it's finding that bloody log book in all the boxes....

Technically you should update it straight away, but so long as your tax isn't due any time soon and you don't get caught speeding or anything else that might result in a letter you can probably get away with leaving it for a little while. You need to update your insurance ASAP though as your policy could be considered invalid if the address is wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending