The Student Room Group

Sidney Sussex - socials

Now, this may seem to many a somewhat foolish question, but having received an offer to the college I applied to (Sidney Sussex) I'm worried that essentially the social side of things isn't going to be so great. Erm.. can anyone tell me what the social scene is like? Thanks
Reply 1
Hi I'm a current student at Sidney. I wouldn't fear, while some people do seem to swat away in the library constantly the majority of people are actually very sociable. People do go clubbing, like at other unis I used to go several times a week in freshers (not so much in third year, it gets boring!), there are loads of clubs and societies to get involved in both within the college and in the wider univiversity. I used to play squash, now I row, both have been really sociable, and don't worry you don't have to be any good to join! Same goes for acting, volunteering, political/debating and music based societies.

In terms of Sidney specific stuff, the central location really helps, we're no more than 5 minutes walk from all the clubs, have two cinemas nearby and the ADC theatre over the road as well as loads of nice pubs and restaurants nearby. Sidney itself is a really sociable community with a lovely college bar which is open every night of term which being student run is also nice and cheap! Don't get me wrong, at Cambridge you'll be working a little harder than at some other Unis, but I've met and got to know so many lovely people in my time at Sidney and made friends for life - both within Sidney and in the wider university.

Don't know whether that helps much, let me know if you've got any other questions. Hopefully see you in October!! :smile:
Original post by NickM323

Don't know whether that helps much, let me know if you've got any other questions. Hopefully see you in October!! :smile:

That helps loads, thank you very much!

If you happen to know, I was wondering (sorry to ask another question) how stressful the humanities subjects are (specifically English Literature, which is what I received my offer for) - I know the majority of work is done independently, but how much support is actually available for a stress-head like myself? Also is the workload that much larger than at other top ranking universities (with the same entry requirements) such as Durham?

(Also what's Sidney's gym like? :3)

Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Gym&Tonic
That helps loads, thank you very much!

If you happen to know, I was wondering (sorry to ask another question) how stressful the humanities subjects are (specifically English Literature, which is what I received my offer for) - I know the majority of work is done independently, but how much support is actually available for a stress-head like myself? Also is the workload that much larger than at other top ranking universities (with the same entry requirements) such as Durham?

(Also what's Sidney's gym like? :3)

Thank you :biggrin:

lol, english at sidney, good luck (it's a lot--very difficult, loads of work (more than at some other colleges) but very very rewarding. known as being extremely stressful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending