The Student Room Group

Cambridge Engineering

Hi all,
I'm thinking of applying for engineering at Cambridge next year but I'm not sure which college to pick. I mainly value somewhere that's central (in the middle of town and not too far from the engineering dept) and I want good accommodation as well. I've narrowed it down to these, I was hoping someone could give me any advice on which ones I should/shouldn't choose.
1. Clare College
2. Downing College
3. Emmanuel College
4. Jesus College
5. King’s College
6. Sidney Sussex College
7. St Catharine’s College
Friends at Cambridge have told me Downing has some of, if not the best accommodation - and is very close to shops, Spoons and the city centre in general.
Out of those, Jesus is probably the furthest away from the Engineering department - it’s still only a 15-20 minute walk though so it’s not that bad. Sidney Sussex 1st year accommodation is mostly in Cromwell Court which is very poor quality, but it gets better over the years. I know it’s not on your list - but Peterhouse is right next to the Engineering department (as in, you can literally see into the engineering department rooms from the first year accommodation) so that might also be somewhere to consider, it’s also got a very active and close-knit engineering community and some regard it as ‘the engineering college’ because of its history (e.g. Frank Whittle - guy who invented the jet engine). King’s is pretty but is extremely busy and full of tourists which isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. Emma and Downing are both gorgeous and right next to Spoons which some find appealing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending