The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Going to Oxford or Cambridge is actually my worst nightmare. I got the grades, but everything about the way of life there just turns me right off. The people, the elitism, the constant use of the word 'varsity'... it's pretty much hell on earth as far as I'm concerned. The fact that both Oxford and Cambridge have turned some of my best old school friends from normal, down to earth people into superficial, self-obsessed snobs makes me slightly bitter too.

I wish I was Spanish so that I could go to Granada. I'm going there on Erasmus for 4 months though, which is better than nothing. :cool:
Reply 41
That was my impression before I visited Cambridge, as I say one of my best mates is a third year at Peterhouse and I was struck by the degree that superficiality and snobbery were absent. Of course it was there, but not to the degree I had expected.

In my experience that kind of attitude is far more prevalent in places like Durham and Bristol, where people who got rejected from Oxbridge feel the need to prove themselves, rather than just getting on with it.
Ditto Tomber.

There appears to be a good dose of elitism there but that shouldn't stop you receiving a fantastic education and plenty of people are just bright, down to earth indivduals with a real passion for their subjects. Also Cambridge is a town built round the university unlike a lot of unis, so creates a greater sense of community.

I love Peterhouse, esp the Med students. They were hilarious.
Reply 43
Atm, St Johns College, Annapolis :smile:
The people at Oxbridge seem cool.. but i wouldnt want to live in either of those cities. both are too expensive, too small.. and cambridge is too close to home.

Id stay where i am.. i have had a look around and i cant find a uni that has a better Plant Science course or better facilities. Nottingham has everything i want from a city, and Sutton Bonington has the beautiful, quaint, in-the-middle-of-the-countryside feel that you cant get at any other major uni. Its both laid back and prestigious.. all good.
Reply 45
Harvard.
bristol :biggrin:
Reply 47
Mit.
andy_1989
Why does everyone love cambridge over oxford?

a) I prefer the place (a decent sized, pretty town as opposed to a city) and it's also closer to home
b) Oxford don't do the exact course I want and aren't as flexible with options
Acaila
Atm, St Johns College, Annapolis :smile:

I have a friend there who absolutely loves it. She's a die hard classicist at heart and makes jokes to me in Greek which I do not understand.
Oxford, where I am, but with a bit less academic pressure!
My dream university? One where sports facilities were free, students were treated with respect, academics were treated with respect and paid well, IT staff were friendly and competent, hall food didn't suck big ones, the SU worked for students, not for the political ends of the individuals in power, amongst other things... So not any university in the UK then...
Reply 52
Cardiff for me. I knew i wanted to go there about 2 years ago, cos it's close to my house but far enough away that i can move out and get the Uni experience. Perfect distance for taking my washing home at weekends :wink:
New York University. But being slightly more realistic, KCL. Then Royal Holloway/St Andrews/Edinburgh/Warwick
Reply 54
Phoenix Wright
I have a friend there who absolutely loves it. She's a die hard classicist at heart and makes jokes to me in Greek which I do not understand.

Hehe :biggrin: The only greek joke I have is pretty tame and silly, but right on! :biggrin: I've never really had the chance to do classics :frown: But I love them :smile:
Reply 55
city_chic
New York University. But being slightly more realistic, KCL. Then Royal Holloway/St Andrews/Edinburgh/Warwick

you can do a year abroad at NYU! i know people doing those types of things in their second years then coming back to RoHo for their final year. Wish I did that now :frown: I can always apply for my 3rd year to do that though!
^ Yeah, I know you can do that, but I'm thinking of doing French at uni and a year abroad in my 3rd year would be compulsory; do you think I wouldn't be able to do an extra year abroad due to this, like at NYU for example?
Reply 57
Keele looks beautiful!!
Reply 58
Exeter or Kent - stunning campus.
Reply 59
I suppose Barts or Kings. Can't really decide.

Latest

Trending

Trending