The Student Room Group

Y10 Looking for unis with low GCSE entry's (MATHS!)

Hiya, I'm a year 10 who is predicted quite high in everything except maths. Which does limit me to a degree (ironic aha). I'm in a school that isn't very encouraging and prioritises those with the highest grades - given my others. My predicted (as of Y10 Mocks!!) Are:
English lit : 7
English lang: 7
Maths: 5
Health and social care: 9
Childcare: 9
Textiles: 9
Geography: 7
Science: 9/8 (I take trilogy, with physics as a weakness).
I do intend on taking biology, health , social, and another A level, depending on my final GCES. I come to a dilemma, given my dream college has a chemistry acceptance of 6 (I'm maths) but given I have a chance of not getting that, there is another college close to me, with an acceptance of a 5 in maths.
So, what is everybody's thoughts on this? My GCSES? And any universities with entry requirements that would suit my grades. (As of what I'm predicted given, I don't have A-Levels yet).
Thank you all so much :smile:)
Original post by katielindley
Hiya, I'm a year 10 who is predicted quite high in everything except maths. Which does limit me to a degree (ironic aha). I'm in a school that isn't very encouraging and prioritises those with the highest grades - given my others. My predicted (as of Y10 Mocks!!) Are:
English lit : 7
English lang: 7
Maths: 5
Health and social care: 9
Childcare: 9
Textiles: 9
Geography: 7
Science: 9/8 (I take trilogy, with physics as a weakness).
I do intend on taking biology, health , social, and another A level, depending on my final GCES. I come to a dilemma, given my dream college has a chemistry acceptance of 6 (I'm maths) but given I have a chance of not getting that, there is another college close to me, with an acceptance of a 5 in maths.
So, what is everybody's thoughts on this? My GCSES? And any universities with entry requirements that would suit my grades. (As of what I'm predicted given, I don't have A-Levels yet).
Thank you all so much :smile:)

The title of your thread includes "Looking for unis" and you ask about "universities with entry requirements that would suit my grades". Yet you also talk about "dream college" and "another college close to me". This make is difficult to offer advice, as it's not clear whether you're worried about the impact that your potential GCSE Maths grade will have on your application to college or to university.

You say that your "dream college has a chemistry acceptance of 6 (I'm maths)". Does that mean that your interested in studying Chemistry at A level?

How stong is your desire to study A level Chemistry? If you get a grade 5 in GCSE Maths, and so can't take Chemistry A level at your "dream college", would you rather study a different A level there, or Chemistry at the other college you mentioned?

Quick Reply

Latest