The Student Room Group

A-level Chemistry Revision Squad!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
I remember like this, oxidising agents are elements like OXYgen. Oxygen needs only 2 electrons to gain full shell stability so since it gains it gets reduced. If it gets reduced it oxidises others therefore its an oxidising agent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wb236
Hey, wondered if anyone could clear this up for me,

Going over past papers for Chem6x I've come across drawing graphs for the Iodine clock reaction a few times, usually pretty straightforward, log (1/t) is plotted on the y-axis and Log(volume) on the x-axis, but I noticed in the mark scheme that says a mark is lost if the y-axis is plotted with ascending negative numbers? I'm not sure if the wording is awkward but the y-values for Log91/t) are usually negative, it doesn't seem to make sense to plot them in a descending scale (i.e. negative values getting more negative going up the y-axis),

Cheers

I think that you have to plot the graph with the axis at the top if you see what i mean, so like a normal axis but upside down and then put your negative values on the y axis getting more negative as you go down
Reply 462
guys please help
what happens if a piece if a piece of sodium is added to an alcohol
Reply 463
Original post by A.S.J
Chemistry exam day after tomorrow(toms bio) need so many prayers. I'm so worried...

can anyone give me a brief on carbon 13 nmr? its new in our syllabus and ur teacher....... by the way its Alevel

AS or A2
Reply 464
Original post by Aimen.
Well the ideal solvent is the one in which solute dissolves most in hot solution and doesn't dissolve in cold solution at all. Since no solution is ideal, we use the solution in which most solution dissolves most in hot solution and least in cold solution, as in the one with greatest difference in the two solubility values.
So now in this case, the difference in values of solution 1 is 5 whereas in solution 2 is 7.5 and as solution 2's difference > solution 1's difference so 2 is a better solvent.
Well i hope it was a helpful explanation :smile:

why must the solvent be hot though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Louisss

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is anyone here doing Chemistry AS Empa? :smile: Hoping its not too bad as some papers have been bad!
Reply 467
Original post by djmans
AS or A2

A2
Reply 468
Original post by djmans
guys please help

Effervescence. Bubbling.
the OH of alcohol becomes O- Na+
If only Na solid then H2(g) released.
If NaOH then H2O.
Likewise.
Anyone got a really hard unit 5 aqa question from any of the exam papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone help with the last part of this question please, the reaction with oxygen. Thanks!
It's from the January 2012 AQA paper.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1462709288.608360.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Louisss

Posted from TSR Mobile

To dissolve the solid for recrystallisation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone help me with q9? It's about percentage error, and they've said in the answer that the titre will be 24.4 so you can use that.
I've forgotten what the formulae for percentage error is ://
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHM6T-P10-TEST.PDF

Thanks
How do you measure accurately the mass on an insoluble precipitate?

and

How can you use a more accurate end point of neutralisation reaction when an indicator is used?
Reply 474
Original post by djmans
guys please help

hi there!

according to my ccea revision guide, when sodium metal is added to say ethanol sodium ethoxide is produced and hydrogen.

2 C2H5OH + 2Na ------------2 C2H5ONa + H2

The sodium ethoxide produced belongs to a homologous series called "Alkoxides"
Reply 475
Original post by A.S.J
Effervescence. Bubbling.
the OH of alcohol becomes O- Na+
If only Na solid then H2(g) released.
If NaOH then H2O.
Likewise.

what about sodium carbonate
Original post by djmans
what about sodium carbonate

alcohols don't react with sodium carbonate, they are slightly acidic and this won't be enough to liberate CO2
Reply 477
Original post by shiney101
Can someone help me with q9? It's about percentage error, and they've said in the answer that the titre will be 24.4 so you can use that.
I've forgotten what the formulae for percentage error is ://
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHM6T-P10-TEST.PDF

Thanks

Well percentage error is (uncertainity or error)/total titre*100
and since this gives percentage error in each reading so when doing this for burrette we multiply uncertainity by 2 as we take two readings (initial and final)
Reply 478
Original post by Louisss

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should definately watch a few videos on this if you haven't done it in labortary yourself. One i'd suggest is https://youtu.be/qJLvB6NFnoA
And you'll see that to dissolve the solute we heat the solvent x)
Reply 479
can some one help?

Quick Reply

Latest