The Student Room Group

Biology help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheCe
Any general tips for edexcel igcse biology exam on Tuesday?

Hey, I'm so sorry, I'm too late! I hope it went well though
Original post by studgeyG
key words for beer production?

Blimey, I don't know, you'll have to ask someone else, sorry!
Original post by Sunethra
hey. Would you mind explaining to the structure of the protein (primary and tertiary) and how they are affected when they take part in reactions. How do they change?

Primary = Literally just the order of amino acids that make up the protein
Secondary = Alpha helices and beta pleated sheets
Tertiary = Specific 3D shape of the folded amino acid chain
Quaternary = More than one polypeptide with artifacts

They don't really change shape in reactions, although they can change shape if things bind to them, such as non competitive inhibitors or in some receptors
I hope everyone is getting on well with revision/exams, remember, stay calm, eat well, sleep well, and go outside as much as possible!
Reply 224
Original post by AortaStudyMore
Hey, I'm so sorry, I'm too late! I hope it went well though

It did haha, thanks :smile:
Can someone help me with question (iv) please image.png

Spoiler

image.png
Can someone help me with this please. I know how it works but a detailed answer would be highly appreciated.
Reply 227
Would somebody mind helping a bit with cyclic and non-cyclic phosphorylation? as in those photosystems involved and all??
If anyone is considering doing medicine, then really really think hard about your life ambitions because I am hating every second of my life right now haha
or alternatively, if you do get into medical school, don't leave all your anatomy revision for a week before the exams, would not recommend
I'm doing AS biology and I just keep getting stuck on this one detail. What are the roles of helicase and RNA polymerase in the unzipping of the DNA in the transcription part of protein synthesis??
or alternatively, if you do get into medical school, don't leave all your anatomy revision for a week before the exams, would not recommend

Hey!

I was wondering if you have any tips and key advice for anyone who wants to apply for med school? I'm currently in year 10, and i was wondering if you could yell me how to get work experience and volunteer. I'm going to apply for BRC charity and im going to do one week work experience in September. As for care homes, i went once, I was asked to wash dishes and well to sum up, the experience wasn't great-at all. And when you write a personal statement or cv, how do you make your one stand out?
If you don't mind me asking what uni do you go to? and Have you got any ideas on what you would like to specialize in ? Also, How do you revise?? Any tips?
BTW sorry for asking so many questions:colondollar:
Original post by Charlotte.P
I'm doing AS biology and I just keep getting stuck on this one detail. What are the roles of helicase and RNA polymerase in the unzipping of the DNA in the transcription part of protein synthesis??

Helicase catalyses the separation of double-stranded DNA into single strands allowing each strand to be copied in transcription.

RNA polymerase binds to the promoter region of a gene and, after locally unwinding the DNA double helix, then uses a segment of one strand of DNA as a template for the synthesis of a complementary RNA molecule.

NOTE: The RNA molecule that results from transcription via RNA polymerase does not have to be mRNA: it can be tRNA or rRNA too!

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Adenine9
Helicase catalyses the separation of double-stranded DNA into single strands allowing each strand to be copied in transcription.

RNA polymerase binds to the promoter region of a gene and, after locally unwinding the DNA double helix, then uses a segment of one strand of DNA as a template for the synthesis of a complementary RNA molecule.

NOTE: The RNA molecule that results from transcription via RNA polymerase does not have to be mRNA: it can be tRNA or rRNA too!

Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks so much, I've been trying to get my head round this for ages!
Original post by bluepearl7
Hey!

I was wondering if you have any tips and key advice for anyone who wants to apply for med school? I'm currently in year 10, and i was wondering if you could yell me how to get work experience and volunteer. I'm going to apply for BRC charity and im going to do one week work experience in September. As for care homes, i went once, I was asked to wash dishes and well to sum up, the experience wasn't great-at all. And when you write a personal statement or cv, how do you make your one stand out?
If you don't mind me asking what uni do you go to? and Have you got any ideas on what you would like to specialize in ? Also, How do you revise?? Any tips?
BTW sorry for asking so many questions:colondollar:

no worries, I need a break from revision anyway! Erm, so, you don't need much, although obviously compared to other degrees you need to do a lot. Just find some kind of long term volunteering that involves working with vulnerable people, now this would preferably be caring for people in a hospital or a care home, but I suppose working with children counts (in a primary school maybe?) or people with any kind of disability. I didn't work with people in a hospital, I volunteered for 2 hours every week for 2 years with disabled people doing fun activities such as sport, board games, arts & crafts etc, and i recommend something low key like that compared to working in a hospital or care home, because as you said, you usually end up getting pretty rubbishy things to do, and it's not as fun or relaxing. Opportunities such as the one I had aren't hard to come across either, lots of places offer volunteer schemes for DofE etc, and if anything, they want volunteers but they don't get enough, so they'd be happy to have someone. So, if you can, maybe google to look for some kind of volunteering that involves with any vulnerable people, and maybe even ask teachers or someone at school if they can help (I don't know what area you live in or anything so I can't really recommend any specific places).

As for making a PS stand out, it will come naturally, although you are thinking about personal statements very early, believe me when I say that I didn't even know what medicine was until about the first month of year 12, and I didn't know about personal statements until about christmas in year 12, and obviously I didn't start writing until after my AS exams. But yh, you will obviously end up perfecting it over the summer of year 12 before year 13, and you will think of some ways of making it stand out, obviously the best ways to do this is to have a good opening and final paragraph, and maybe try and think of a somewhat unique reason why you want to do medicine (even if it's not strictly true!). But in general, just make it snappy and punctual and catchy, it takes a lot of time to find the right combination of words, but trust me, it can be done.

I go to imperial, and I want to do orthopaedics, and as for how I revise, well, everyone is unique so don't necessarily do exactly what I do, but I make notes, and then whittle those notes down to flashcards, and then just cram those flashcards, however at A-level I just read textbooks and did past papers (which you can't do at med school because there is too much to learn!)

If there's anything else you'd like to know, then just ask, time for me to go back to "revising" (i.e. learning from scratch) anatomy
no worries, I need a break from revision anyway! Erm, so, you don't need much, although obviously compared to other degrees you need to do a lot. Just find some kind of long term volunteering that involves working with vulnerable people, now this would preferably be caring for people in a hospital or a care home, but I suppose working with children counts (in a primary school maybe?) or people with any kind of disability. I didn't work with people in a hospital, I volunteered for 2 hours every week for 2 years with disabled people doing fun activities such as sport, board games, arts & crafts etc, and i recommend something low key like that compared to working in a hospital or care home, because as you said, you usually end up getting pretty rubbishy things to do, and it's not as fun or relaxing. Opportunities such as the one I had aren't hard to come across either, lots of places offer volunteer schemes for DofE etc, and if anything, they want volunteers but they don't get enough, so they'd be happy to have someone. So, if you can, maybe google to look for some kind of volunteering that involves with any vulnerable people, and maybe even ask teachers or someone at school if they can help (I don't know what area you live in or anything so I can't really recommend any specific places).

As for making a PS stand out, it will come naturally, although you are thinking about personal statements very early, believe me when I say that I didn't even know what medicine was until about the first month of year 12, and I didn't know about personal statements until about christmas in year 12, and obviously I didn't start writing until after my AS exams. But yh, you will obviously end up perfecting it over the summer of year 12 before year 13, and you will think of some ways of making it stand out, obviously the best ways to do this is to have a good opening and final paragraph, and maybe try and think of a somewhat unique reason why you want to do medicine (even if it's not strictly true!). But in general, just make it snappy and punctual and catchy, it takes a lot of time to find the right combination of words, but trust me, it can be done.

I go to imperial, and I want to do orthopaedics, and as for how I revise, well, everyone is unique so don't necessarily do exactly what I do, but I make notes, and then whittle those notes down to flashcards, and then just cram those flashcards, however at A-level I just read textbooks and did past papers (which you can't do at med school because there is too much to learn!)

If there's anything else you'd like to know, then just ask, time for me to go back to "revising" (i.e. learning from scratch) anatomy

Thank you so much!
The advice you gave is really helpful, and i live in London so i'm willing to go anywhere within the city really. I'll research the volunteering you suggested.

I'm into Neuroscience and my brother and cousin both study medicine too (abroad) so that's probably why i am feeling stressed,under pressure and worried.
anyways, thanks again for all the advice and Good luck for any exam that you may have!:smile:
Original post by bluepearl7
Thank you so much!
The advice you gave is really helpful, and i live in London so i'm willing to go anywhere within the city really. I'll research the volunteering you suggested.

I'm into Neuroscience and my brother and cousin both study medicine too (abroad) so that's probably why i am feeling stressed,under pressure and worried.
anyways, thanks again for all the advice and Good luck for any exam that you may have!:smile:

Thanks, so stressed :s-smilie:
Reply 237
If anyone is considering doing medicine, then really really think hard about your life ambitions because I am hating every second of my life right now haha

Haha please don't scare me off! I was planning the best years of my life ahead x)
Original post by Aimen.
Haha please don't scare me off! I was planning the best years of my life ahead x)

lol, it's not that bad, it's just a bit of a shock when you get to 1 week before the exams and you realise how much you don't know
Reply 239
lol, it's not that bad, it's just a bit of a shock when you get to 1 week before the exams and you realise how much you don't know

Let's not blame medicine for that and blame you for not studying throughout the year instead? xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending