The Student Room Group

My AS level study log- path to 4A's!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by will3482
Definitely jealous. At this rate I'm worried 90% of Core 2 is going to be self-taught for me, and that's definitely the unit that I think I will need the most guidance on.

What topics have you done in core 2?
Original post by richpanda
What topics have you done in core 2?

Transformation of functions and Sequences and series. Touched very slightly on further integration and further differentiation and that's it.
Reply 22
13/03/2016

Didn't have the best night's sleep, so I woke up late, then watched both episodes of Trapped. I'm going to do the second chemistry mock paper this morning. Then maybe after lunch I'll for once actually do some work, I have a few bits of revision related homework to do.

11-12:30 Chemistry (Inorganic/Physical) (X) Finished! Went really well and I managed to improve my mark by a lot.

Going to eat lunch now and maybe have a break till 2, then I'll work till half 3, then watch the football.

2-3 Physics Did a homework that doubled up as revision, seemed to go well.

I'm probably just going to finish off the physics write up tonight, then have the night off as the weather's lovely so I might go for a run.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
14/03/2016

Been a bit under the weather with a boring day at school. I've got C1 and Organic chemistry sessions tonight, and I'd also ideally like to watch the Leicester game. I'm going to start the C1 paper within 5 minutes of posting this, it may not all be in 1 block. My main C1 focus is consolidating and cutting out ANY errors, as I'd like 95+ UMS. So I'm aiming for at least 73 on this paper. In organic chemistry I think I will make my own start on the only topic I haven't covered yet (I've already gone a bit ahead lol) just so after I can purely focus on revision and practice.

4:15- 6 C1 (X) Got 72/75, I'm finding C1 a bit boring now, my main problem is just losing concentration. I can usually do a paper in about 50 minutes.

6:30- 7:30 Chemistry (Organic/Physical) (X) Managed to finish the last topic I had to do pretty quickly, then I quickly reviewed my whole organic/physical unit on chemrevise.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 24
15/03/2016

Got a french grammar/vocab and inorganic chemistry sessions today. I really hate revising french, might just skip it to watch some champions league. Anyway, I'll see how things go.

8:30-9:30 Chemistry (Inorganic/Physical) (X) Did 15 minutes of questions on each of the 4 inorganic/physical topics I've done so far, seemed to go well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
16/03/2016

I have a C2 and physics waves/electricity sessions today. I'm probably going to do a C2 past paper, then as long as I finish that reasonably quickly I'll crack on with the physics so that I'll be finished at 8 and can go out.

6-7:30 C2 (X) Did a very tricky past paper but I still got an A, it was much more difficult than even the most recent ones.

7:35-7:50 and 9:45-10:30 Physics (Electricity/Waves) (X) Managed to do half an hour, but I'm too tired so heading off to sleep.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26
17/03/2016

What a lovely day! (in terms of the weather), wish I could just go outside:frown: but work must be done. I have french vocab and organic chemistry sessions today. I'll probably start with the french whilst I'm in a good mood to get it out the way, then eat and crack on with the chemistry, then exercise and watch some football.

4:30-5:30 French Vocab (X)(ish) Managed to do 40 minutes, but I just find it so boring. I may cut down my french revision sessions to 30 minutes in length and up the frequency of sessions.

6-7 Chemistry (Organic/Physical) (X) I've started going through the questions in the revision guide I have (done most of the ones in the textbook), so I managed to do about 1/4 of my organic/physical unit in an hour, so I should get another 3 sessions out of doing questions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 27
18/03/2016

Just got in, I've been out for most of the evening and have just eaten and showered. I'm meant to have M1 maths and my physics mechanics unit tonight, but I think I'll just do a mechanics M1 past paper as this covers part of the physics spec, and I actually want to get a good night's sleep.

8-9:30 Maths M1 (X) Did pretty well on the paper, about 60/75, but M1 is definitely my weakest unit.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 28
19/03/2016

I don't actually have anything planned so far for today revision wise, however I should have a reasonable amount of time. In my life outside revision (which is quite limited these days) I'll probably watch the Everton match at 12:45 so straight after lunch, and I'll probably do some driving or a bike ride in the afternoon too, preferably early on. I also have a few pieces of homework to do, I'll try to fit them in at some point this weekend.

9-10 Chemistry (Organic/Physical) (X) Did a quick homework set of questions on equilibrium, then went back to working through the questions in the revision guide, which went well.

11-12 Maths C1 (X) Got 74/75 on the past paper, dropped my mark in the most infuriating way as well. But obviously it's still a pretty good score, so I'm happy just keeping my C1 knowledge ticking over.

5-6 French (Writing) ()

8-9 Physics (Electricity/Waves) ()
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 29
20/03/2016

Woopsy, didn't manage to do either of the 2 last sessions yesterday. Well today I'm going to improve on that. I'm heading out at just past 9 for a bike ride, so I'll be back just past 12. I'm going to get a few annoying, niggly bits of homework done before I leave, then I'll start my revision after lunch. I will update with revision times later.

Update- done nothing, my bike ride was an absolute killer. I'm completely unmotivated, so instead of forcing myself to work, I'm just going to do 1 bit of homework for tomorrow, and then tidy up, sort out and plan my school stuff and revision planning.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
21/03/2016

Oh the joys of Monday. This is my last week before Easter, so I'll do my normal revision up to and including wednesday when I finish school. On thursday I'll probably spend a whole day sorting and filing my stuff, working out what to do with all my past papers, then start planning what I'm going to do over Easter, which could include:

- Making an Easter timetable (I feel it's a long/important enough period of time to warrant this)
- Past papers to do for each subject
- Dates of when I will recap things in different subjects and when I'll do past papers
- Driving theory

But anyway, back to today. I have physics waves/electricity and inorganic chemistry sessions today. I'm probably going to finish off a past paper for physics then mark it very rigorously, and for chemistry I'm probably going to go through questions in the revision guide.

4:15- 5:15 Physics (Waves/Electricity) (X) Got about 68% on my first electricity/waves paper I've ever done, so I'm pretty pleased with that. I'm pretty confident with my physics mechanics module, so I can really start to concentrate on this unit.

8:30-9:30 Chemistry (Inorganic/Physical) (X) Just did an hours worth of exam style questions from the revision guide, it's good to have answers for them unlike in the textbook.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31
22/03/2016

One more day to go! (until Easter holidays that is). Tonight I've got physics waves/electricity and organic chemistry sessions, so it's going to be pretty intense. I'll probably continue with the revision guide questions for chemistry, I'll get very close to finishing them all tonight. For physics I think I'll do some more content learning, maybe wrap up the first module in the textbook on electricity.

6:30- 7:30 Physics (Waves/Electricity) (X) Wrote up summary notes for charge/current sub topic, then did the questions from the textbook and revision guide for it.

8:30- 9:30 Chemistry (Organic/Physical) (X) Finished off the revision guide questions, then moved on to some exam practice questions which were part of a homework
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 32
23/03/2016

Finally, the end of term. It won't be too much of a break, but at least I'll have my own routine. There'll be a few days when I'm in school for revision days, but in general I'll be following the revision timetable I'm going to make very soon.

So tonight, tomorrow, and on Friday I'm going to create my timetable, do any bits of homework I have, and sort through my school stuff.
Reply 33
24/03/2016

Just spent the last 3 hours sorting my folders, tidying my stuff and past paper related things. I've made a past paper tracker for my subjects, and I've thrown out a lot of past papers I'm going to do again anyway.

Things I have left to do: Do my homework, and make a timetable for Easter. I think I'll do the timetable today and the homework tomorrow. It's nice not having to go to school.
Reply 34
Good luck, I'm sure you will succeed at AS. I'll definitely be watching this thread as I'm planning on studying similar subjects as you! :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by kennethdcharles
Good luck, I'm sure you will succeed at AS. I'll definitely be watching this thread as I'm planning on studying similar subjects as you! :smile:

Good luck, thank you very much.
Reply 36
25/03/2016

Homework day! I have 3 pieces to do, it will probably take about 1.5 hours in total, I think I'll do it partly before and partly after dinner, then enjoy my last night of freedom before the revision kicks in.

I'll be posting the past papers I've done and my scores in them in this thread, as well as keeping track on excel.
Reply 37
I'm just gonna steal that idea about keeping track of past papers on excel :biggrin:
Reply 38
Original post by kennethdcharles
I'm just gonna steal that idea about keeping track of past papers on excel :biggrin:

It's a good idea, especially if you know how to do conditional formatting to make highlight good scores in green, bad scores in red etc.

It took me about 30 minutes, but then it took me AGES to plan which past papers I was going to do and when.
Reply 39
26/03/2016

I've now officially started my Easter Revision! I'm basing my revision timetable purely off past papers, then I will do revision sessions on content in the evenings if I feel it is necessary. I'm going to be doing roughly 4 papers per day, and I will put all of my scores on here.

So today:

Edexcel Maths C1 January 2006- 72/75, made a few silly mistakes mainly due to not reading the question properly.

Edexcel Chemistry Unit 1 January 2009- 75/80, lost 2 marks on things that aren't even in the new spec, but pretty happy with this.

OCR Physics Mechanics January 2011- 53/60, pretty pleased with this.

Update: It transpires that there is no French Unit 2 January 2009 paper, so I can't do that today.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending