The Student Room Group

My AS level study log- path to 4A's!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
27/03/2016

Woke up slightly late today, damn the hour lost. I was a bit late starting the past papers, but it's all under control now. Tonight, I may actually do some revising of content. Today so far:

Edexcel M1 January 2006- 71/75, really quite pleased with this, I dropped 3 marks on a part of a question that I just didn't know how to do. It won't happen again.

Edexcel C2 January 2006- 75/75, some nice questions on this paper. I actually feel like C2 is my strongest module.

Edexcel Chemistry Unit 2 January 2009- 61/80, really quite annoyed as at least 10 of the marks were dropped on stupid mistakes. Also some marks were lost because it's an old spec paper so it has some things that aren't in the spec anymore.

Edit: There is no January 2009 past paper for my physics unit 4, so instead I will do some revision and possibly some planning of revision content.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 41
28/03/2016

Woke up late again, which was really annoying. I'm now (kind of) back on track, but this will be my last update until this evening. I have also added some content to do to my timetable, not just past papers. Separately, I have been noting down which topics I've lost marks on, and I will be going over these things right at the end of Easter.

Edexcel Maths C2 June 2006- 75/75, my favourite module.

OCR Physics Unit 4 June 2009- 54/100 (I think, might be 80). We haven't done this module fully and I haven't particularly revised it yet, so I'm pretty happy.

Edexcel Chemistry Unit 2 June 2009- 64/80, pretty much scraped an A. However I'm still pretty happy as I lost barely any marks on stuff that I've already covered.

OCR Physics Unit 3 January 2012- 51/60, again pretty pleased.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 42
Hello! I really like your thread, gives me the motivation to go do my work aha
I do the exact same AS subjects as you!

Good luck with your revision and I can totally understand the lack of motivation for French - Im just really not as passionate as I used to be :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by semise
Hello! I really like your thread, gives me the motivation to go do my work aha
I do the exact same AS subjects as you!

Good luck with your revision and I can totally understand the lack of motivation for French - Im just really not as passionate as I used to be :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, good luck with your revision too! Which exam boards are you by the way?
Reply 44
AQA, you?
Also, when is your speaking exam? :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by semise
AQA, you?
Also, when is your speaking exam? :smile:

don't know yet

edexcel for maths, chemistry and french and ocr for physics
Reply 46
29/03/2016

Another day of grinding! I've done 2 past papers already, and I'm just going to do a bit of chemistry work before lunch and then try to do my 2 other past papers straight after lunch.

Edexcel Maths C1 June 2006- 73/75, made a stupid mistake but got error carried forward marks:biggrin:

Edexcel Maths M1 June 2006- 74/75, lost a mark on one of the annoying 'what do we assume when the rope is inextensible' type questions.

Edexcel Chemistry Unit 2 January 2010- 71/80, really pleased with this, my highest mark in this unit so far.

Also did about another 1.5 hours on chemistry and physics revision.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by richpanda
It's a good idea, especially if you know how to do conditional formatting to make highlight good scores in green, bad scores in red etc.

It took me about 30 minutes, but then it took me AGES to plan which past papers I was going to do and when.

Thanks, just learnt that :smile:
Reply 48
30/03/2016

Just done my first 2 papers, I'm going to have lunch now, then do a chemistry paper, have a break then do some physics revision followed by a physics past paper.

Edexcel June 2009 C2- 69/75, not my best score but it was a hard paper, only 55/75 for an A.

Edexcel June 2009 M1- 62/75, really hard paper as I didn't know what to do in a few areas, again it was 55/75 for an A though.

Edexcel Chemistry Unit June 2009 74/80, pretty pleased.
(edited 8 years ago)
29/03/2016

Another day of grinding! I've done 2 past papers already, and I'm just going to do a bit of chemistry work before lunch and then try to do my 2 other past papers straight after lunch.

Edexcel Maths C1 June 2006- 73/75, made a stupid mistake but got error carried forward marks:biggrin:

Edexcel Maths M1 June 2006- 74/75, lost a mark on one of the annoying 'what do we assume when the rope is inextensible' type questions.

Edexcel Chemistry Unit 2 January 2010- 71/80, really pleased with this, my highest mark in this unit so far.

Also did about another 1.5 hours on chemistry and physics revision.

I'm finding it hard to stop procrastinating!!!:frown: I do around two past papers a day and some in depth revision notes. I feel like its still not helping me memorize the stuff. Do you have any tips ???:smile::smile:
Reply 50
Original post by Sanniabir
I'm finding it hard to stop procrastinating!!!:frown: I do around two past papers a day and some in depth revision notes. I feel like its still not helping me memorize the stuff. Do you have any tips ???:smile::smile:

That's a completely fine amount of revision, because I'm guessing that takes you at least 3/4 hours. I'm also a bit of a procrastinator, for example playing the basketball facebook game or using TSR.

What level are you at and what subjects do you do? My revision at the moment and the next 10 days or so is doing past papers up to about 2012 in all units (even if i haven't completely finished the unit), and also learning/recapping things that I don't know.

For example in maths, I have covered all the content and I'm just doing past papers. Anything that I get wrong, I have noted it down (usually specific question types) and I will ask my teacher or look in the revision guide later.
That's a completely fine amount of revision, because I'm guessing that takes you at least 3/4 hours. I'm also a bit of a procrastinator, for example playing the basketball facebook game or using TSR.

What level are you at and what subjects do you do? My revision at the moment and the next 10 days or so is doing past papers up to about 2012 in all units (even if i haven't completely finished the unit), and also learning/recapping things that I don't know.

For example in maths, I have covered all the content and I'm just doing past papers. Anything that I get wrong, I have noted it down (usually specific question types) and I will ask my teacher or look in the revision guide later.

I'm doing AS BIOLOGY
CHEMISTRY
MATHS (STATS)
SOCIOLOGY :biggrin:
Doing past papers up to 2012 is a lot of past papers:eek::eek: How many past papers do you complete a day? and what is your style of taking revision notes?
It seems like you spend the majority of your day revising . I wish i had that kind of motivation:redface:
Reply 52
Original post by Sanniabir
I'm doing AS BIOLOGY
CHEMISTRY
MATHS (STATS)
SOCIOLOGY :biggrin:
Doing past papers up to 2012 is a lot of past papers:eek::eek: How many past papers do you complete a day? and what is your style of taking revision notes?
It seems like you spend the majority of your day revising . I wish i had that kind of motivation:redface:

Probably doing about 5 hours a day, I do the papers quite quickly. I do about 4 papers a day. My style of revision notes are subtitled notes on different topics that follow the spec, with some extra detail added.
Reply 53
31/03/2016

Done 3 past papers so far today, all 3 maths modules. I'm going about for an hour and a half or so, then I'll do some more when I get back.

Edexcel Maths January 2007- C1- 73/75 C2- 73/75 M1- 74/75

Edexcel Chemistry Unit 2 June 2010- 69/80, pleased but made a few stupid mistakes on the multiple choice section.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 54
01/04/2016

Had a really busy day (outside of revision), meaning I effectively couldn't do any work until about 4. However since 4 I've done 2 maths past papers and eaten, so I'm pretty happy. I'm going to go for a run, then do some physics revision and possibly a french past paper if I have the motivation.

Edexcel Maths June 2008: C2- 72/75, M1- 74/75. Pretty happy, especially with the mechanics paper. Only got 9 more maths past papers to do this Easter (saving the most recent ones till closer to exams)
Thought doing something like this would help to motivate me and hopefully others, as well as helping me to actually track and plan what I've done/am going to do.

A bit about me; I'm in year 12 doing maths, french, chemistry and physics. I got pretty good GCSEs, even by TSR standards, and I'm expected to do well this year.

So far, my AS levels have been in general very good, but sometimes I'll feel really motivated, and other times completely drained and lethargic.

I have just done some mocks and I am currently still getting back my results:

Spoiler

like ur thread good luck im doing maths and chem too:frown:((
what do u wanna do at uni and what are u gonna drop this year
Reply 56
Original post by youreanutter
like ur thread good luck im doing maths and chem too:frown:((
what do u wanna do at uni and what are u gonna drop this year

Not too sure yet, I'll probably drop french.
Reply 57
02/04/2016

Had a slight lie in till half 8, but since 9ish I've done 3 maths past papers, so I managed to make up for that time loss! After lunch I'm going to watch the Chelsea match, then do a chemistry past paper and some chemistry learning. After that I'm going to watch the Spurs game, eat and then do some physics and french.

Edexcel Maths June 2007: C1- 75/75, C2- 75/75, M1- 75/75. As you can guess I'm pretty pleased with those, I just need to keep that up now!:biggrin:

Edexcel Chemistry January 2011 Unit 2- 68/80, not too bad but still dropped a sloppy 2 or 3 marks.

Now to do some chemistry work before the spurs game, will probably do about an hour.
(edited 8 years ago)
02/04/2016

Had a slight lie in till half 8, but since 9ish I've done 3 maths past papers, so I managed to make up for that time loss! After lunch I'm going to watch the Chelsea match, then do a chemistry past paper and some chemistry learning. After that I'm going to watch the Spurs game, eat and then do some physics and french.

Edexcel Maths June 2007: C1- 75/75, C2- 75/75, M1- 75/75. As you can guess I'm pretty pleased with those, I just need to keep that up now!:biggrin:

Do you print your papers or do them from the computer screen?
Reply 59
Original post by Dysprosium
Do you print your papers or do them from the computer screen?

Computer Screen, much quicker, cheaper and easier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending