The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Hull University- What Do You Think?

Hi,

I'm new to this site, so apologies if I'm repeating what has already been said by other people somewhere else..

I've put down Hull University as my first choice to study Accountancy and Economics next year, although I'm not quite sure whether to go to Hull or to stay at home and working for an accountancy firm in an apprentership scheme.

I've done plenty of research on the Uni and I'm due to visit on 7th July, but I was just wondering if I could get some feedback from current students about what life is like there (in terms of where the best place to stay is, how good the entertainment is and how nice the area is).

At the moment I'm swaying towards the Lawns campus as it offers self catering: any thoughts will be gratefully appreciated :smile:
If you're not sure whether to go to Uni or do an apprenticeship, then go and talk to someone about the best option for the career you want to do is. Maybe talk to people at the accountancy firm to see what they would prefer to see in a potential employee. You should also consider where you think you would be happiest, or what experience you would enjoy more.
You should probably take this advice with a pinch of salt, because I can't tell you anything about your situation or accountancy and economics. You should talk to someone that can.

Anyway, moving on. The University of Hull.
If you want self-catering, stick with the Lawns - Taylor Court also offers self-catering, but it's basically a bit of a rip-off, and I would say it's nicer to go into hall than Student Housing. Cottingham (the village/small town where all the halls are based) is a pretty nice place. It has enough shops/pubs/takeout places to keep any student happy. A lot of people say that the centre of Hull is a dump - these people have clearly never been to Hull. It's undergoing massive regeneration, and it's not much better or worse than your average city centre. Everything is easy to get to, there are lots of nice shops and clubs, as well as other entertainmenty things.

I don't really know what else to add, if you have any more specific questions, I'll happily try and answer them.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
About the uni - I don't know; but I live near Hull.

Personally - it isn't really my thing. But the shops are OK (generic chain stores and things) and there are a fair few clubs... quite cheesy though, most of them.

Definitely visit the city though.
Highest teenage preggers rate in Europe... there's gotta be something in that.
Reply 3
I like Hull a lot. I've lived here for 7 years and went to the university. Whenever I bring friends up here, they are always really surprised at how nice it is (I don't take them to the estates obviously!), as they've always heard such bad and mostly baseless things about it. The university campus is lovely. I don't know anything about the course you mention, but I certainly enjoyed my time as a student in Hull.
the_alba
I like Hull a lot. I've lived here for 7 years and went to the university. Whenever I bring friends up here, they are always really surprised at how nice it is (I don't take them to the estates obviously!), as they've always heard such bad and mostly baseless things about it. The university campus is lovely. I don't know anything about the course you mention, but I certainly enjoyed my time as a student in Hull.

Ditto. I orginate from a small town outside Hull. People are always amazed how it outshines its appalling image as the 'worse chavy city' in Britain, or whatever. You get my gist. The city is absolutely fine, in my humble opinion, and the campus is quite large and very green. :smile:
Reply 5
Hull's a quality place to live as a student. As for the 'highest teenage pregnancy rate in Europe' nonsense; I live in Doncaster and I've heard that has the highest rate. Like what was previously mentioned, don't take any notice of baseless criticism of Hull. I was born in Cottingham and have come back to live there at the Lawns in what has just ended as my first year at Hull University... so that says something I think!
Reply 6
I got into Hull through clearing and in the first 2 weeks i was still bitter and wanted to leave. Being from the deep south, Hull just is like another world and not regarded well...

Then i got my head out my arse and realised... I wouldnt change this for the world. I've met the most amazing people, I love my course and cant wait for next year :biggrin:
Reply 7
I absolutely loved the Uni when I visited - the Campus was totally cool, I'm going there to study drama - but I thought the area around it and Hull city centre were a bit 'grey' and 'grim'. But I'm not going there for the architecture, I'm going there for the people and the education!
Reply 8
The city centre is having a massive revamp, millions is being pumped into the redesigning and a brand new shopping centre is due to open in september. there already is a massive one (Princes Quays) which is great already, all major shops are there and on the high streets. This new one will have lots more stores and the building itself looks great. The train station is being rennovated as well, as thats probably the ugliest building in England! Should look great when finished though.

The village of Cottingham, where the Lawns, Needler and Thwaite accomodation is, is extrememly pretty and very well off. The shops are small and quaint but there is everything a student could need; a supermarket and a couple of smaller supermaket shops like a Sainsburys at jacksons, Farm foods and Heron, last 2 are very cheap and great deals! Theres also small bakeries, fruit and veg shops, butchers, its a lovely little village. Also a fair few pubs, which is great :-D a good range too, theres a sportsy type pub with a big screen, some quieter smaller ones, and some with really good friday / saturday night atmosphere. Theres also a trendy new bar just opened, very modern style and open late.
Reply 9
WatfordGoth
I absolutely loved the Uni when I visited - the Campus was totally cool, I'm going there to study drama - but I thought the area around it and Hull city centre were a bit 'grey' and 'grim'. But I'm not going there for the architecture, I'm going there for the people and the education!

There's brilliant architecture directly opposite the university campus! It's called Newland Park, a leafy area of posh houses, some old and classical-looking, some modern and spcae-age looking. A lot of lecturers live there. And it's where Philip Larkin lived for most of his time in Hull - but he lived in the ugliest house there. The Avenues are great for a very Scandinavian-seeming architecture too, plus the old town is nice and Georgian. Maybe you just went on a bad day...
Well in all fairness whilst verything you have said is true there un undoubtably some really crap areas as well which have a very grey feel to them, but yes I'd recommend old town / the museum quarter which is georgous. Also check out the marina area surrounding the deep, thats another area which will be getting a lot of attention soon, but is very pretty in areas as it is, and walking along the bank of the humber is much nicer than the sterotypes would suggest, makes for a great sunny afternoon.
Lol i got told that perterborough was the highest for teenage pregnancy...
I think hull is ace (although only been twice) but everything i heard about it being crap was rubbish and its better than peterborough (which isnt hard cos there are some really rough parts and ugly buildings). When i went to look around on the...er it wasnt an open day some kind of meeting thing in the geography department i really liked it and the village looked very pretty
Reply 12
cottingham is gorgeous... i dont know i you've had a look at the accomodation thread which i replied to and gave a massive run down of the Lawns accomodation, just in case you needed any pointers on that.
Reply 13
rainbowspiderweb
Lol i got told that perterborough was the highest for teenage pregnancy...
I think hull is ace (although only been twice) but everything i heard about it being crap was rubbish and its better than peterborough (which isnt hard cos there are some really rough parts and ugly buildings). When i went to look around on the...er it wasnt an open day some kind of meeting thing in the geography department i really liked it and the village looked very pretty

Shouldnt be hard as peterboro is the worst town in Engalnd in my humble opinon
aw i know i said its bad but some parts alrite... like the.. cathedral altho that looks crap covered in scafolding err there r some good bits of orton and its not bad for shopping ill just ignore the 60's style buildings :smile:
stoke on trent is apparently worse...

Latest