The Student Room Group

Ucat score and medical prospects

Hi everyone,
I recently did my UCAT exam and I am slightly worried about where I should apply with it
I got 2710 and a band 1 for sjt ( I'm applying as a school leaver-not gap year).
I have relevant work experience such as work experience in a biomedical lab at a hospital and have done volunteering in my school's mentorship programme and volunteering in a soup kitchen. My teacher references seem to be okay and I think my predicted with be atleast A*AA. My GCSEs were fine too (12 9s and 2 8s). I understand my UCAT score might be slightly low for more competitive universities like Bristol but are there any other ones I can get into? ( Ps I'm also considering doing the BMAT and applying to a BMAT university?
Original post by pruthav
Hi everyone,
I recently did my UCAT exam and I am slightly worried about where I should apply with it
I got 2710 and a band 1 for sjt ( I'm applying as a school leaver-not gap year).
I have relevant work experience such as work experience in a biomedical lab at a hospital and have done volunteering in my school's mentorship programme and volunteering in a soup kitchen. My teacher references seem to be okay and I think my predicted with be atleast A*AA. My GCSEs were fine too (12 9s and 2 8s). I understand my UCAT score might be slightly low for more competitive universities like Bristol but are there any other ones I can get into? ( Ps I'm also considering doing the BMAT and applying to a BMAT university?

That's a really good UCAT score! There are definitely plenty of great unis that would offer you an interview (but probably not Bristol). Maybe take a look at hull-york, Liverpool, Cardiff and st Georges. Would say think outside of the classically prestigious universities and you will find loads of others that have good courses. (Anglia Ruskin, Plymouth, Keele etc.)

I got 2790 so am in a similar position to you (not being able to apply for Bristol, Newcastle etc. )
Reply 2
Honestly, your UCAT would be an issue for most unis as many of the top ones have a cut off, but look about for ones that weight it less, but you did very well to get a Band 1 in the SJT which is a huge benefit when applying so don’t be disheartened too much. I would advise you to do the BMAT, I personally was average in UCAT but smashed the BMAT as its different in the sense that there is a whole section on GCSE level maths and science which for me were easy and judging from your grades you should have no issue with it, the essay is also quite easy to do well on, I would advise using medify as it helped me on the critical thinking sections and has all the GCSE knowledge you should cover and good essay example and questions for all parts. Don’t be afraid to call universities and ask questions about the application process to find out what you need and if they would consider you with that score although from past experience they can be a bit annoying.
Reply 3
Original post by Georgina.2054
That's a really good UCAT score! There are definitely plenty of great unis that would offer you an interview (but probably not Bristol). Maybe take a look at hull-york, Liverpool, Cardiff and st Georges. Would say think outside of the classically prestigious universities and you will find loads of others that have good courses. (Anglia Ruskin, Plymouth, Keele etc.)

I got 2790 so am in a similar position to you (not being able to apply for Bristol, Newcastle etc. )

Hi, thank you so much for the reply, do u think that Exeter would be do-able or is it a reach?
Reply 4
Original post by A.B HTR
Honestly, your UCAT would be an issue for most unis as many of the top ones have a cut off, but look about for ones that weight it less, but you did very well to get a Band 1 in the SJT which is a huge benefit when applying so don’t be disheartened too much. I would advise you to do the BMAT, I personally was average in UCAT but smashed the BMAT as its different in the sense that there is a whole section on GCSE level maths and science which for me were easy and judging from your grades you should have no issue with it, the essay is also quite easy to do well on, I would advise using medify as it helped me on the critical thinking sections and has all the GCSE knowledge you should cover and good essay example and questions for all parts. Don’t be afraid to call universities and ask questions about the application process to find out what you need and if they would consider you with that score although from past experience they can be a bit annoying.

Thanks so much! I'm going to focus on the BMAT more, I think most likely I'm going to apply to atleast 1 or 2 BMAT unis.
Reply 5
update: I ended up applying to 1 bmat uni and 3 ucat unis: Hull-york, St georges, ARU and UCL. I'm pleased to say I got interviews and offers for all 4 (as well as the offer from the non-med course).
Thank you so much for all of your advice and help last year everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending