The Student Room Group

Official: Hull York Medical School A100 2024 Entry Applicants

Welcome to the HYMS 2024 entry discussion.

2023 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7252490

For general information click: https://www.hyms.ac.uk/medicine

For entry requirements click: https://www.hyms.ac.uk/medicine/appl...y-requirements

How to score your application: multiply your UCAT decile by 4 (max 40 points), top 6 GCSEs: grade 9 = 5, 8 = 4, 7 = 3, etc. (up to 30 points), SJT band 1 = 15 points, band 2 may be around 10 pts, band 3 around 5 points. Contextual, you must fulfil at least two criteria to be eligible for points (up to 15 points):

Care experience or care leaver* 15 points

Refugee status 15 points

Contextual data markers (not to be used in addition to care or refugee status):

Recipient of the UCAT Bursary 8 points

Home postcode is in POLAR 1 4 points or POLAR 2 3 points. You can check your postcode on the Office for Students website

First in your family to go to university 3 points

Applicants who have satisfactorily completed one of the our recognised widening participation programmes and who do not meet any of the above three criteria, or who only meet one of the criteria, are awarded points as follows:

Widening participation programme 7 points

Widening participation programme and one criteria 7 points and criteria points

Cutoff last year - 77
N.b. this scoring system (apart from the contextual scoring, which is clear on the website) is just the best guess of what it is, and may not be wholly accurate.

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
(edited 6 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Hi,
I got 2630 UCAT and SJT Band 1. I got 14 A*s in GCSE (im from Wales) so i'm guessing that is 30/30 points. I think I've got 28/40 for UCAT points and 15/15 for SJT points. I'm the first in family to go to uni so 3 points. In total I have 76 points. Would that be competitive or under the cutoff for this year?
Thanks
Reply 3
what was last years cut off?
Original post by bekaoncns
what was last years cut off?

Reply 5
I would score 76 :/ Do you think still worth applying to HYMS as the cut off was 77 last year?
Original post by holycookie
I would score 76 :/ Do you think still worth applying to HYMS as the cut off was 77 last year?

what are your stats; you may have safer options. gcse grade deflation could mean the cutoff comes down slightly, but ucat still accounts for 40%, so it may depend on where the deciles end up lying
Reply 7
Original post by reubenn05
what are your stats; you may have safer options. gcse grade deflation could mean the cutoff comes down slightly, but ucat still accounts for 40%, so it may depend on where the deciles end up lying

AAA predictions, 9999999998 GCSE and 2540 band 1 ucat. I also received the UCAT bursary and first in my family to go to uni and I hace exceptional cirsumstances so I am elegible for contex offers from HYMS and Leeds. I am a bit hesistant to apply to leeds even though I could get an offer of ABB since its their first time using the ucat and my ucat isn't the best. I am doing the BMAT to apply to imperial.
(edited 7 months ago)
AAA predictions, 9999999998 GCSE and 2540 band 1 ucat. I also received the UCAT bursary and first in my family to go to uni and I hace exceptional cirsumstances so I am elegible for contex offers from HYMS and Leeds. I am a bit hesistant to apply to leeds even though I could get an offer of ABB since its their first time using the ucat and my ucat isn't the best. I am doing the BMAT to apply to imperial.

i calculated your hyms score as 80
Reply 9
i calculated your hyms score as 80

wait what :confused: am i bad at maths because i got 76 twice. let me do it again omg
wait what :confused: am i bad at maths because i got 76 twice. let me do it again omg

you probably thought your score was 5th decile, when it is actually 6th decile

Welcome to the HYMS 2024 entry discussion.

2023 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7252490

For general information click: https://www.hyms.ac.uk/medicine

For entry requirements click: https://www.hyms.ac.uk/medicine/appl...y-requirements

How to score your application: multiply your UCAT decile by 4 (max 40 points), top 6 GCSEs: grade 9 = 5, 8 = 4, 7 = 3, etc. (up to 30 points), SJT band 1 = 15 points, band 2 may be around 10 pts, band 3 around 5 points. Contextual (up to 15 points):

Care experience or care leaver* 15 points

Refugee status 15 points

Contextual data markers (not to be used in addition to care or refugee status):

Recipient of the UCAT Bursary 8 points

Home postcode is in POLAR 1 4 points or POLAR 2 3 points. You can check your postcode on the Office for Students website

First in your family to go to university 3 points

Applicants who have satisfactorily completed one of the our recognised widening participation programmes and who do not meet any of the above three criteria, or who only meet one of the criteria, are awarded points as follows:

Widening participation programme 7 points

Widening participation programme and one criteria 7 points and criteria points

Cutoff last year - 77
N.b. this scoring system (apart from the contextual scoring, which is clear on the website) is just the best guess of what it is, and may not be wholly accurate.

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Do you know if this is the same scoring for the gateway year course
Original post by B7861
Do you know if this is the same scoring for the gateway year course

i think so, with extra points for local applicants
you probably thought your score was 5th decile, when it is actually 6th deci

I did think it was 5th decile as on the official UCAT website for 2022 it says 6th decile is 2570 :frown:. are u sure 2540 would be 6th?
I did think it was 5th decile as on the official UCAT website for 2022 it says 6th decile is 2570 :frown:. are u sure 2540 would be 6th?

the score listed is the top of that decile, not the bottom
the score listed is the top of that decile, not the bottom

ohh ok tysm feeling better about myself
i think so, with extra points for local applicants

Really? Do you know how many extra points they are given because I’m not local
Original post by B7861
Really? Do you know how many extra points they are given because I’m not local

it doesn't specify how many, it just says local applicants are prioritised at every stage of the application process, so i assume they are given extra points
I think it needs to be made clear early on in this thread that HYMS have never released how exactly they score other than 'up to 40 points for GCSE' type thing, and I'd be very surprised if the scoring was completely linear (eg 4 points per decile), this means you probably can't calculate your own score in any particularly meaningful way, and anyone here who tries is also just guessing. Don't get too hung up on playing the numbers game, or at least be aware that it's kind of a rough guess only.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by DoctorJorts
I think it needs to be made clear early on in this thread that HYMS have never released how exactly they score other than 'up to 40 points for GCSE' type thing, and I'd be very surprised if the scoring was completely linear (eg 4 points per decile), this means you probably can't calculate your own score in any particularly meaningful way, and anyone here who tries is also just guessing. Don't get too hung up on playing the numbers game, or at least be aware that it's kind of a rough guess only.

i have made it clear on the opening post, and i would be surprised if hyms didn't score ucat linearly, as other med schools who score a combination of gcses/ucat/other things score ucat linearly/according to deciles
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending