The Student Room Group

Accommodation for disabled students (Autism)

Scroll to see replies

My son is in the process of applying for DSA for 2015/16 as he started in September - and my daughter will be applying for 2016/17 and yes it is changing this year.My son should hopefully be able to claim back the price difference cost of his en-suite accommodation compared to standard (which will be £860 ) - it looks like it will be down to the universities to cover the price difference in accommodation from this year (2016/17 onwards ) as this is what student finance told me when I phoned up - the others are right - the government is trying to move as much responsibility as possible onto the universities - it could be that if your daughter has to live in a self contained studio and not just an en-suite she might be able to claim more money / get a larger discount - if this is the case the maximum that could be claimed under accommodation would be £1741 which is the maximum under the general allowance - trying to get an answer out of anyone at the moment is a night mare - the staff themselves at the DSA confessed to me on the phone that they have just had meetings about the changes but nothing is set in stone yet,so it is still all up in the air - I have even been given incorrect advice from SFE about DSA for postgraduates - so I would double check everything - the university's disability support service have by far been the most accurate and helpful with advice
Original post by dipka
I didn't have an issue with the en-suite part. At my uni campus their is only 1 halls, and all the rooms in it are en-suite. So, no choice, its en-suite room or nothing.
I do go to a uni that guarantees me a place in halls all the years I am there-so I already have a place in halls next year. I don't think it Is for all disabilities though, as in it's not on the dyslexia and dyspraxia pages that the do that for those students so I assume it only applies to those with disabilities that affect them living independently but I've not looked at every page to check that.
I did that too, requested a quieter section with smaller flats because of noise and sharing and also making friends issues and that is where I got put.

sorry I didn't mean to quote you as well.
Reply 22
Original post by Minionmum
My son is in the process of applying for DSA for 2015/16 as he started in September - and my daughter will be applying for 2016/17 and yes it is changing this year.My son should hopefully be able to claim back the price difference cost of his en-suite accommodation compared to standard (which will be £860 ) - it looks like it will be down to the universities to cover the price difference in accommodation from this year (2016/17 onwards ) as this is what student finance told me when I phoned up - the others are right - the government is trying to move as much responsibility as possible onto the universities - it could be that if your daughter has to live in a self contained studio and not just an en-suite she might be able to claim more money / get a larger discount - if this is the case the maximum that could be claimed under accommodation would be £1741 which is the maximum under the general allowance - trying to get an answer out of anyone at the moment is a night mare - the staff themselves at the DSA confessed to me on the phone that they have just had meetings about the changes but nothing is set in stone yet,so it is still all up in the air - I have even been given incorrect advice from SFE about DSA for postgraduates - so I would double check everything - the university's disability support service have by far been the most accurate and helpful with advice

I can't imagine that the universities will be keen to cover the price difference for en suite when they can charge more for it to non-disabled students, given that they are generally cash-strapped these days
Reply 23
Original post by jelly1000
sorry I didn't mean to quote you as well.

oh, its fine.
I wanted to apply for en-suite and catered accommodation on campus, but it was around £40 more per week so I've gone for catered off-campus, with the possibility of an en-suite if one is available. Will the DSA pay the difference for the en-suite if I get it, as it was recommended for me in my report?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
I wanted to apply for en-suite and catered accommodation on campus, but it was around £40 more per week so I've gone for catered off-campus, with the possibility of an en-suite if one is available. Will the DSA pay the difference for the en-suite if I get it, as it was recommended for me in my report?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Talking in general, DSA rarely refuse any recommendations made.

Another thing that may help people:
You may be able entitled to claim PIP. If you are entitled to it, you, as a disabled student, are also entitled to housing benefit, depending on your income, which student finance is counted as.
Reply 26
Original post by Tiger Rag
Talking in general, DSA rarely refuse any recommendations made.

Another thing that may help people:
You may be able entitled to claim PIP. If you are entitled to it, you, as a disabled student, are also entitled to housing benefit, depending on your income, which student finance is counted as.

We applied for DLA for our daughter a few years ago but she didn't get awarded any, so is it still worth applying for PIP? I assumed that the fact that she was going to university and living away from home (hopefully) would count against her as they would say she is independent.

Is the housing benefit based on the student's income or the parent's?
Original post by MJ6987
We applied for DLA for our daughter a few years ago but she didn't get awarded any, so is it still worth applying for PIP? I assumed that the fact that she was going to university and living away from home (hopefully) would count against her as they would say she is independent.

Is the housing benefit based on the student's income or the parent's?

The criteria for PIP is different and a lot of people have reported that they're getting more on PIP than they did for DLA. Living away from home won't make any difference. The help she needs just has to be reasonable.

Housing benefit is based on the students income.
Reply 28
Original post by Tiger Rag
The criteria for PIP is different and a lot of people have reported that they're getting more on PIP than they did for DLA. Living away from home won't make any difference. The help she needs just has to be reasonable.

Housing benefit is based on the students income.

Thanks, I am not very up on benefits.

Is Housing Benefits only applicable if the student is in private rented accommodation, I.e. Not Halls? Also, is it only disabled students (those getting PIP) that are eligible or all students? Surely most students are on low incomes?
Original post by MJ6987
Thanks, I am not very up on benefits.

Is Housing Benefits only applicable if the student is in private rented accommodation, I.e. Not Halls? Also, is it only disabled students (those getting PIP) that are eligible or all students? Surely most students are on low incomes?

To claim housing benefit, you must have a valid tenancy agreement. Your daughter will sign one of those when she moves in to halls or private rented accommodation. (so, she can't claim when she lives at home with you, for example) The only full time students who can claim housing benefit are those who are disabled (on DLA / PIP) or those who have a child.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending