The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Quads or Marlborough/Solsbury?

Really stuck between these two, has anyone lived in them or got any opinions about which would be best?
Marlborough/Solsbury are significantly cheaper. So go for them. (No brainer...)
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by katie*may
Really stuck between these two, has anyone lived in them or got any opinions about which would be best?

What's wrong with Eastwood?
Original post by katie*may

Hi Katie,

I lived in The Quads last year, so I think I can comment a little on what life is like there. Probably the most discussed aspect of Quads are the room sizes; they are the smallest on Campus as far as I know, which seems a little wrong given the relatively hefty price tag Quads commands. However, I would simply say that Quads rooms are really space efficient. You won't have any problems with shelf space, you have a ton of plug sockets running along the wall at the end of your desk, plus another two right next to your bed (perfect for phone/tablet charging) and another two next to your bedside table (used mine for a radio/alarm clock). The TV (licence fee is covered) doesn't take up any desk space, and you might think it's a bit gimmiky but the mood-lighting in the rooms is something you'll miss once you move out.

The en-suite isn't exactly spacious but it's well-lit, well-ventilated and dries out quickly after showers (I kinda assume this is the major advantage Quads en-suites have over M/S's wet room en-suites). The water pressure's alright (I was on the top floor and didn't have any problems), but the maximum temperature isn't scalding (probably a health and safety thing); you can have decent showers but I didn't think the tap water was hot enough for shaving or just washing my hands in general. The only major problem that the small room size gives you is limited space to hang clothes up in the wardrobe; this was only really a problem for me in the first few weeks before I just started wearing stuff that didn't need to be ironed/hung up anyway, but if you have a massive wardrobe at home, be warned.

The kitchens are a dream compared to places like Eastwood. You probably won't have any problems with fridge/freezer space at all, or being unable to cook whenever you want (2 ovens/4 hobs in every kitchen + with catering credit people don't cook every meal anyway). Loads of room for food to be stored etc, quite a bit of open space and a large table with chairs for pres (with the social space you can effectively have 2 separate pre drinks sessions going on at the same time in the same flat). Oh, and the cleaners are in every three days, so the sides are pretty much always spotless (only thing you have to worry about is getting the washing up done).

The social space is a dream compared to the stuff you'll get in any other accommodation; perfect for TV binging, movie nights, gaming sessions, study sessions, for a flat christmas dinner!!! 10352083_415315471952124_8166806444953255485_n.jpg, presentation practice, pre drinks, pretty much anything you can think of - even if you don't end up in the Quads, you'll probably end up in one of these at some point next year for whatever reason.

Honestly it's pricey but it's a really pleasant experience, I can't say whether S/M are any better but this was my experience of Quads anyway. Good luck with exams!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Marlborough/Solsbury are significantly cheaper. So go for them. (No brainer...)

Same price before the eat and drink student card is taken into account?
Original post by JoshC98
Same price before the eat and drink student card is taken into account?

Yeah, so overall you end up spending more in Quads. You could cater for yourself completely on the price of the weekly eat and drink card, which would only cover like half your meals (and isn't valid in the SU)
Reply 6
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Yeah, so overall you end up spending more in Quads. You could cater for yourself completely on the price of the weekly eat and drink card, which would only cover like half your meals (and isn't valid in the SU)

If you're in quads, how much extra do you think you'll need to spend on food each week?
Reply 7
Original post by Pro Crastination
Hi Katie,

I lived in The Quads last year, so I think I can comment a little on what life is like there. Probably the most discussed aspect of Quads are the room sizes; they are the smallest on Campus as far as I know, which seems a little wrong given the relatively hefty price tag Quads commands. However, I would simply say that Quads rooms are really space efficient. You won't have any problems with shelf space, you have a ton of plug sockets running along the wall at the end of your desk, plus another two right next to your bed (perfect for phone/tablet charging) and another two next to your bedside table (used mine for a radio/alarm clock). The TV (licence fee is covered) doesn't take up any desk space, and you might think it's a bit gimmiky but the mood-lighting in the rooms is something you'll miss once you move out.

The en-suite isn't exactly spacious but it's well-lit, well-ventilated and dries out quickly after showers (I kinda assume this is the major advantage Quads en-suites have over M/S's wet room en-suites). The water pressure's alright (I was on the top floor and didn't have any problems), but the maximum temperature isn't scalding (probably a health and safety thing); you can have decent showers but I didn't think the tap water was hot enough for shaving or just washing my hands in general. The only major problem that the small room size gives you is limited space to hang clothes up in the wardrobe; this was only really a problem for me in the first few weeks before I just started wearing stuff that didn't need to be ironed/hung up anyway, but if you have a massive wardrobe at home, be warned.

The kitchens are a dream compared to places like Eastwood. You probably won't have any problems with fridge/freezer space at all, or being unable to cook whenever you want (2 ovens/4 hobs in every kitchen + with catering credit people don't cook every meal anyway). Loads of room for food to be stored etc, quite a bit of open space and a large table with chairs for pres (with the social space you can effectively have 2 separate pre drinks sessions going on at the same time in the same flat). Oh, and the cleaners are in every three days, so the sides are pretty much always spotless (only thing you have to worry about is getting the washing up done).

The social space is a dream compared to the stuff you'll get in any other accommodation; perfect for TV binging, movie nights, gaming sessions, study sessions, for a flat christmas dinner!!! 10352083_415315471952124_8166806444953255485_n.jpg, presentation practice, pre drinks, pretty much anything you can think of - even if you don't end up in the Quads, you'll probably end up in one of these at some point next year for whatever reason.

Honestly it's pricey but it's a really pleasant experience, I can't say whether S/M are any better but this was my experience of Quads anyway. Good luck with exams!

Thank you so much! I really can't decide, I initially preferred Quads its just the price making me thing that Marlborough/Solsbury would be better as its so much cheaper and still very nice! Ive still got one more week to decide though :h:
Is it necessary to buy the food and drinks credit for the Quads? And whats the advantage of having the card over just spending the money individually? Thanks!
Original post by jessedoell
Is it necessary to buy the food and drinks credit for the Quads?

Yes, there is no self-catered options for the Quads, wish for a number of people is a shame. Depends if you are planning to cook for yourself only and be more economical with your food. If so, unfortunately Quads is not an option. But Marlborough/Solsbury is.

Original post by jessedoell
whats the advantage of having the card over just spending the money individually?

People with card credit get food at a discount. Well, not exactly... basically, if you are part-catered then the money you spent for it a year works out at £25 a week, but you get £27.5 a week in credit. The fully catered people spent £50 a week for the service, but they get £55 a week in credit. In other words, you get more credit than you paid for, so in a sense you can view it as getting a discount on your food compared to those who want to buy food with no catering option. Hope that makes sense.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pro Crastination
Hi Katie,

How many actually stay in Bath for Christmas / New Year?
@SeanFM
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bath~Student
How many actually stay in Bath for Christmas / New Year?
@SeanFM

I wouldn't be able to put a number on it :redface: most of the people I know, apart from some of the international students, go home. Some go home for the whole time, some come back early to study here rather than at home, and one person I knew came back a week after the holidays (and missed the revision lecture week in January) for whatever reason.
Original post by SeanFM
I wouldn't be able to put a number on it :redface: most of the people I know, apart from some of the international students, go home. Some go home for the whole time, some come back early to study here rather than at home, and one person I knew came back a week after the holidays (and missed the revision lecture week in January) for whatever reason.

Thanks. Is there much going on on New Year's Eve?
Original post by Bath~Student
Thanks. Is there much going on on New Year's Eve?

Hi,

We do have a number of events in local clubs, bars, and restaurants. I believe that the Abbey has had fireworks in the past, which would be exciting. Personally, having been away from friends and family for a long time I felt happy to spend the time at home. We do have some international students who choose to stay university for the break, however it is relatively quiet. The resident tutors work to bring those staying on campus together over the break by hosting Christmas meals for example.

Hayden

Quick Reply

Latest