The Student Room Group

I’m Y1 Bath Architecture, Ask me anything

Hi all,

I’m currently in Year 1, Semester 2 for architecture at the University of Bath. I used to be a regular user of TSR last year and I thought people would benefit from more up to date info on how the course is like this year, but also how the general uni experience is like.
I will be honest in everything I say and will give both pros and cons so feel free to ask!
Original post by EJLM
Hi all,

I’m currently in Year 1, Semester 2 for architecture at the University of Bath. I used to be a regular user of TSR last year and I thought people would benefit from more up to date info on how the course is like this year, but also how the general uni experience is like.
I will be honest in everything I say and will give both pros and cons so feel free to ask!

Welcome back. :smile: Is the course everything you hoped for?
Reply 2
Original post by EJLM
Hi all,
Hey, I’ve been considering bath or lboro as a first choice for architecture but don’t know which to choose from so have loads of q’s :smile:
What is the workload like at Bath?
How diverse is the uni?
Do you think the course is overhyped or is it everything you were expecting?
What are the pros and cons of studying at bath? Like does it really make a difference if I go there as opposed to another uni?
Thank u for the reply!
Reply 3
Original post by parrot05
Hey, I’ve been considering bath or lboro as a first choice for architecture but don’t know which to choose from so have loads of q’s :smile:
What is the workload like at Bath?
How diverse is the uni?
Do you think the course is overhyped or is it everything you were expecting?
What are the pros and cons of studying at bath? Like does it really make a difference if I go there as opposed to another uni?
Thank u for the reply!
Hi!
You know what’s crazy? I was stuck between Bath and Lboro too in terms of which one to put as my firm choice hahaha
Ngl I don’t regret choosing Bath bcs the city is beautiful and the course is still fulfilling but defo challenging. Loughborough is still a good course but is more focused on arts while Bath focuses on incorporating arts with realistic solutions and technicalities bcs they want you to act like a true architect.

1) Workload in Bath
Ngl, the start of the semester was chill. The first project (the group project) wasn’t graded and was there to help refresh your architectural thinking and to ease yourself into the environment. You did have lectures in the first semester because there were other modules.
Towards the start of project 2 in semester one and start of semester 2, there was suddenly MORE to do, but it’s manageable if you have a set schedule (easier said than done so please please please practice that asap). You also barely have exams in the exam season because it’s mostly coursework.

I need to tell you though, the time crunch is real. There are quite a lot of people who do late nights and some did do all nighters near the end of the projects. The tutors themselves do not encourage this, but people do it anyway 😭 the building is 24/7 so it’s tempting if you really want to get an idea down asap
Do not worry if you are behind, the tutors seem to be understanding. Emailing is encouraged and they’ll extend a deadline etc.
Also do not be tempted to compare to others. Find inspiration from them but do not envy. They aren’t competition like A-levels are.
People around you defo help a lot and just spending time with them while in the studio and doing your work helps alleviate stress. All my best friends are fellow course-mates.
The uni also has a good support system so you’ll be fine in times of need. Just reach out.

Tldr, semester one has more modules while semester two is solely studio coursework. If you’d like in-depth details on what this year’s content was about out of curiosity, please do ask. I deleted it from the reply because it seemed too long haha

2) Diversity
I was surprised about how diverse it was. The uni has so many international students and a diverse background. I heard 1/3 of students are international? I have a friend group where all of us originate from different countries in three continents. Everyone here in the cohort is lovely and chill and you can get along well regardless of who it is. Also, the male: female ratio seems to be around 40:60? Defo more women in the course.

3) Overhyped? Pros and cons

The uni is definitely good, and I’m having a good time minus the approach to the final submissions and stuff at the end of each project. They structured the projects well in terms of easing you into the architectural process but the feeling does sink in that there’s a lot to consider. Nevertheless, the course seems fulfilling and was what I expected from architecture as a course. Social media does exaggerate the burning inferno that they describe it as; the people around you definitely make the experience.
You also defo need to be into the subject to stay motivated. Just trying gives you a pass, and that’s all that’s needed in the year.
Nevertheless, there’s still things I didn’t like.

The course structure being 6 months in semester 2 both in year 2 and year 3 brought difficulties in finding housing for year 2. Landlords don’t really like 6-month leases so there were few, and so you were encouraged to find a housing swap, where you had to find business students to swap with halfway through a one year lease. This is because they have their placement period in the first semester while we have it in the second.
They urged us to give them feedback on what to improve in the course, and this was what most of us mentioned. They are considering changing the course structure to a 1 year placement period in the next years.

Expenses
They don’t mandate you downloading any software which requires money. They do offer an adobe creative cloud discount (still spenny because it was £100+) and they offer the needed software (revit, affinity, rhino, 3dsmax) on their virtual desktop which is downloadable onto your own computer. Having it downloaded on your own PC it’s better to in terms of user experience. PowerPoint is fine for your final reports too.
Materials are available in the uni Student Union market on the parade, and there’s spare free materials in the workshop at 4ES. Foam board, card, balsa wood is available but the stocks deplete at light speed during final weeks of projects so Amazon is also your friend.
In general, Bath is an expensive city, especially for accommodation and housing. Take this into account because Lboro is cheaper.

Bath has their structure well thought out so you’d be well prepared for placements and work in the future. I feel way more confident in presenting now than I did at the start.
To say that it’d be different if I were to go to Lboro is hard to tell, since they offer similar outlooks. I had the impression Lboro was more artsy, while Bath had more technical aspects and conditions you to consider realistic technicalities into designs while not stifling your creativity. It’s also dependent on what degree you want to get out of the course; a BArch (lboro) or a BSc (Bath).

Either way, you’ll ultimately be fine with both unis. They’re both going to turn you into an architect.
I’ll recommend Bath uni as long as you’re down for challenging work. The uni experience is lovely here and everyone is in it together.

Wish you all the best!
EJLM
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 5
Original post by EJLM
Hi!
You know what’s crazy? I was stuck between Bath and Lboro too in terms of which one to put as my firm choice hahaha
Ngl I don’t regret choosing Bath bcs the city is beautiful and the course is still fulfilling but defo challenging. Loughborough is still a good course but is more focused on arts while Bath focuses on incorporating arts with realistic solutions and technicalities bcs they want you to act like a true architect.
1) Workload in Bath
Ngl, the start of the semester was chill. The first project (the group project) wasn’t graded and was there to help refresh your architectural thinking and to ease yourself into the environment. You did have lectures in the first semester because there were other modules.
Towards the start of project 2 in semester one and start of semester 2, there was suddenly MORE to do, but it’s manageable if you have a set schedule (easier said than done so please please please practice that asap). You also barely have exams in the exam season because it’s mostly coursework.
I need to tell you though, the time crunch is real. There are quite a lot of people who do late nights and some did do all nighters near the end of the projects. The tutors themselves do not encourage this, but people do it anyway 😭 the building is 24/7 so it’s tempting if you really want to get an idea down asap
Do not worry if you are behind, the tutors seem to be understanding. Emailing is encouraged and they’ll extend a deadline etc.
Also do not be tempted to compare to others. Find inspiration from them but do not envy. They aren’t competition like A-levels are.
People around you defo help a lot and just spending time with them while in the studio and doing your work helps alleviate stress. All my best friends are fellow course-mates.
The uni also has a good support system so you’ll be fine in times of need. Just reach out.
Tldr, semester one has more modules while semester two is solely studio coursework. If you’d like in-depth details on what this year’s content was about out of curiosity, please do ask. I deleted it from the reply because it seemed too long haha
2) Diversity
I was surprised about how diverse it was. The uni has so many international students and a diverse background. I heard 1/3 of students are international? I have a friend group where all of us originate from different countries in three continents. Everyone here in the cohort is lovely and chill and you can get along well regardless of who it is. Also, the male: female ratio seems to be around 40:60? Defo more women in the course.
The uni is definitely good, and I’m having a good time minus the approach to the final submissions and stuff at the end of each project. They structured the projects well in terms of easing you into the architectural process but the feeling does sink in that there’s a lot to consider. Nevertheless, the course seems fulfilling and was what I expected from architecture as a course. Social media does exaggerate the burning inferno that they describe it as; the people around you definitely make the experience.
You also defo need to be into the subject to stay motivated. Just trying gives you a pass, and that’s all that’s needed in the year.
The course structure being 6 months in semester 2 both in year 2 and year 3 brought difficulties in finding housing for year 2. Landlords don’t really like 6-month leases so there were few, and so you were encouraged to find a housing swap, where you had to find business students to swap with halfway through a one year lease. This is because they have their placement period in the first semester while we have it in the second.
They urged us to give them feedback on what to improve in the course, and this was what most of us mentioned. They are considering changing the course structure to a 1 year placement period in the next years.
Expenses
They don’t mandate you downloading any software which requires money. They do offer an adobe creative cloud discount (still spenny because it was £100+) and they offer the needed software on their virtual desktop which is downloadable onto your own computer. Having it downloaded on your own PC it’s better to in terms of user experience. PowerPoint is fine for your final reports too.
Materials are available in the uni Student Union market on the parade, and there’s spare free materials in the workshop at 4ES. Foam board, card, balsa wood is available but the stocks deplete at light speed during final weeks of projects so Amazon is also your friend.
In general, Bath is an expensive city, especially for accommodation and housing. Take this into account because Lboro is cheaper.
Bath has their structure well thought out so you’d be well prepared for placements and work in the future. I feel way more confident in presenting now than I did at the start.
To say that it’d be different if I were to go to Lboro is hard to tell, since they offer similar outlooks. I had the impression Lboro was more artsy, while Bath had more technical aspects and conditions you to consider realistic technicalities into designs while not stifling your creativity. It’s also dependent on what degree you want to get out of the course; a BArch (lboro) or a BSc (Bath).
Either way, you’ll ultimately be fine with both unis. They’re both going to turn you into an architect.
I’ll recommend Bath uni as long as you’re down for challenging work. The uni experience is lovely here and everyone is in it together.
Wish you all the best!
EJLM
just a heads up: you're eligible for free Autodesk software if you sign up with your uni email (link), all you have to do is re-verify once every year. I'd get started with software, particularly Revit and AutoCAD, sooner rather than later if you haven't already cause it'll be a big help when applying for placements. (There's also ArchiCAD, a competitor to Revit which is also free for students)
Reply 6
Original post by EJLM
Hi!
1) Workload in Bath
2) Diversity
Expenses
They don’t mandate you downloading any software which requires money. They do offer an adobe creative cloud discount (still spenny because it was £100+) and they offer the needed software on their virtual desktop which is downloadable onto your own computer. Having it downloaded on your own PC it’s better to in terms of user experience. PowerPoint is fine for your final reports too.
Wish you all the best!
EJLM
Hey,
Thank you for all the replies, it was super helpful!
I’m mostly likely gonna firm Bath but have a few more q’s:
What do you normally learn in first year? I get that every architecture studio is gonna be crazy during finals, but how do you get assessed on it? Are the professors nice enough to be willing to help?
Also in terms of placement, how does bath help with finding the right one for you?
Could I also ask about accommodation? Like the pros and cons of the main ones?
Original post by EJLM
Hi all,

Compared to other courses is architecture really time consuming
Reply 8
Hey,
Thank you for all the replies, it was super helpful!
I’m mostly likely gonna firm Bath but have a few more q’s:
What do you normally learn in first year? I get that every architecture studio is gonna be crazy during finals, but how do you get assessed on it? Are the professors nice enough to be willing to help?
Also in terms of placement, how does bath help with finding the right one for you?
Could I also ask about accommodation? Like the pros and cons of the main ones?
In first semester, you are given these modules:

Design Studio 1.1
This module consists of two projects: the first is the ungraded group project with the civil engineers where you're taught about working collaboratively while learning how to use the workshop. This year we had to design and make a full-scale play structure which embodies the spirit and character of an animal you picked from a hat. The topic changes yearly.
The second project is individual and is graded. This year it was to design a structure inside an art exhibition to house the photographs of a famous war photographer. You use this one to hone in the skills they ask you to consider in project one.
The second project along with the fourth one will be graded using grade descriptors, similar to Art or DT A-Level. You are going to be assigned into a tutor group. The people within this group are the people you'll present with in the critique bays and these people won't change each project, but the tutor who gives advice on your work will change each project so you are given multiple viewpoints each time. The tutors I've had in the past were all soft-spoken and made sure to take your design intentions into consideration. They all seemed to have slightly different approaches to the design process and you should take note of what you found worked best for you. In summary, yes they are willing to help.

Structural and Environmental Engineering
This is the engineering module where you're taught the basic science needed for structures. Static equilibrium, forces in truss and other structures, resolving forces, etc. etc for the structural part. Environmental is about heat loss, solar geometry, fire safety design, daylighting, and ventilation. We were assessed on this via an open-book 3 hour online test. Don't let the fact that it's open-book mean that it's simple af lol

History, Theory, and Practice
This module had so many guest lectures and optional lectures for enrichment. The main lectures taught you about what vernacular architecture is, and showing you case studies. We were also briefly taught about the legislation and management side of architecture and you should make notes through the lectures because they help significantly during the quiz at the end. We were assessed with an online quiz which was relatively simple as it was also open-book and not invigilated.

Semester two:

Design Studio 1.2
Same as design studio 1.1

Digital representation
You are taught the basics of cad in Revit, Photoshop, Rhino, and 3DS Max. We will be assessed on a 3-page A2 pdf where you produce architectural drawings and renderings and it outlined what we needed to include in each page.

Placement
At this point in the course, we have been given a few lectures on the placement-finding process and some inspiration for where to start, but generally we will only be given proper advice at the start of year 2, since we wouldn't have too much to include in our portfolio as of this stage in the course. I am not too sure how tailored their placement-finding process will be for each of us, but as of now I feel they will provide guidance via lectures on how to apply for placements. They are currently just encouraging us to do some research on companies we might like to apply to in the future so you have a rough idea of what to aspire to. They don't limit you to national companies and you can very well find stuff internationally if you are willing to go through that process.

Accommodation
This was a very mixed experience for us. You have to choose your top 7 accommodations, and they will allocate you via an algorithm that randomly allocates you based on your main preferences. I got my first choice, and so did many people, but there are some instances where you may not get what you wanted.
I got Marlborough, quiet accommodation. I am given an ensuite with relatively more storage than other dorm rooms. You also have a shared kitchen with 5-6 other people. The social areas are non-existent in Marlborough except for the kitchen table. If you are more social, apply to Quads as they have dedicated social lounges but their rooms seem more cramped but do their job. Quads seem like the party venue because of how social it is. There's more in-depth analyses of the accommodation types on YouTube, but if you want me to give you specific details on a specific one, feel free to ask because I have visited quite a lot of them since I have friends in basically each one, including city accommodation.

Feel free to ask more questions if there's still something you are unsure about. Hope this helped!

EJLM
Reply 9
Original post by Ellis’s
Compared to other courses is architecture really time consuming
I'll have to admit, it seems as if us architects spend more time on our course than others. Saying this doesn't mean you have no social life though, and greatly depends on your work ethic. You are not encouraged to spend all day in the studio. However, because of model-making, and stuff like that, it does get time-consuming at times depending on how complicated your design is.
This is the same for every uni it seems, but Bath does make it manageable. I know people in Edinburgh who are struggling way more because they also have essays.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by EJLM
In first semester, you are given these modules:

Design Studio 1.1
This module consists of two projects: the first is the ungraded group project with the civil engineers where you're taught about working collaboratively while learning how to use the workshop. This year we had to design and make a full-scale play structure which embodies the spirit and character of an animal you picked from a hat. The topic changes yearly.
The second project is individual and is graded. This year it was to design a structure inside an art exhibition to house the photographs of a famous war photographer. You use this one to hone in the skills they ask you to consider in project one.
The second project along with the fourth one will be graded using grade descriptors, similar to Art or DT A-Level. You are going to be assigned into a tutor group. The people within this group are the people you'll present with in the critique bays and these people won't change each project, but the tutor who gives advice on your work will change each project so you are given multiple viewpoints each time. The tutors I've had in the past were all soft-spoken and made sure to take your design intentions into consideration. They all seemed to have slightly different approaches to the design process and you should take note of what you found worked best for you. In summary, yes they are willing to help.

Structural and Environmental Engineering
This is the engineering module where you're taught the basic science needed for structures. Static equilibrium, forces in truss and other structures, resolving forces, etc. etc for the structural part. Environmental is about heat loss, solar geometry, fire safety design, daylighting, and ventilation. We were assessed on this via an open-book 3 hour online test. Don't let the fact that it's open-book mean that it's simple af lol

History, Theory, and Practice
This module had so many guest lectures and optional lectures for enrichment. The main lectures taught you about what vernacular architecture is, and showing you case studies. We were also briefly taught about the legislation and management side of architecture and you should make notes through the lectures because they help significantly during the quiz at the end. We were assessed with an online quiz which was relatively simple as it was also open-book and not invigilated.

Semester two:

Design Studio 1.2
Same as design studio 1.1

Digital representation
You are taught the basics of cad in Revit, Photoshop, Rhino, and 3DS Max. We will be assessed on a 3-page A2 pdf where you produce architectural drawings and renderings and it outlined what we needed to include in each page.

Placement
At this point in the course, we have been given a few lectures on the placement-finding process and some inspiration for where to start, but generally we will only be given proper advice at the start of year 2, since we wouldn't have too much to include in our portfolio as of this stage in the course. I am not too sure how tailored their placement-finding process will be for each of us, but as of now I feel they will provide guidance via lectures on how to apply for placements. They are currently just encouraging us to do some research on companies we might like to apply to in the future so you have a rough idea of what to aspire to. They don't limit you to national companies and you can very well find stuff internationally if you are willing to go through that process.
Accommodation
This was a very mixed experience for us. You have to choose your top 7 accommodations, and they will allocate you via an algorithm that randomly allocates you based on your main preferences. I got my first choice, and so did many people, but there are some instances where you may not get what you wanted.
I got Marlborough, quiet accommodation. I am given an ensuite with relatively more storage than other dorm rooms. You also have a shared kitchen with 5-6 other people. The social areas are non-existent in Marlborough except for the kitchen table. If you are more social, apply to Quads as they have dedicated social lounges but their rooms seem more cramped but do their job. Quads seem like the party venue because of how social it is. There's more in-depth analyses of the accommodation types on YouTube, but if you want me to give you specific details on a specific one, feel free to ask because I have visited quite a lot of them since I have friends in basically each one, including city accommodation.
Feel free to ask more questions if there's still something you are unsure about. Hope this helped!
EJLM

Omg Marlborough was gonna be my first choice too!
I wanted to ask what’s the difference between Marlborough and Solsbury? From my understanding they are really similar right? I was also thinking of polden court: what are the pros and cons of tht accom?

I also wanted to ask roughly how many people are in one cohort for architecture?
Reply 11
Omg Marlborough was gonna be my first choice too!
I wanted to ask what’s the difference between Marlborough and Solsbury? From my understanding they are really similar right? I was also thinking of polden court: what are the pros and cons of tht accom?
I also wanted to ask roughly how many people are in one cohort for architecture?
The floor plans in Marlborough and Solsbury are identical. You have a single bed and an ensuite. You share the kitchen with 5-6 other people. In the accommodation application form you will be sent sometime later in the summer, Marlborough and Solsbury Court are put together as one choice so you sadly can't apply for them separately. I have a few friends in Polden Court. You get double beds and the ensuite in Polden Court but it seems more expensive and you share a kitchen with 24 people so you're guaranteed to have someone in the kitchen at one time. You do have eat and drink credit in Polden, MarSol does not.

Here's a page with compares all accommodation choices
https://www.bath.ac.uk/corporate-information/undergraduate-accommodation-prices/

It seems like the prices have increased from last year so I wish you luck );

Cohort sizes slightly change each year depending on yearly circumstances, but this year we have 126 architecture students in the Year 1 cohort.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 12
Original post by EJLM
Hi all,
Hi, if I'm taking a gap year before applying for an architecture course, is there any extra qualifications or experiences you think would be useful for getting offers the following year? thx
Pretty **** that Bath doesn’t pay for adobe suite for their students. That’s pretty much standard on most architecture courses I would think. It’s not like they’re short on cash.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 14
Original post by *RML*
Hi, if I'm taking a gap year before applying for an architecture course, is there any extra qualifications or experiences you think would be useful for getting offers the following year? thx
Uni of Bath accepts applicants based on if you show a well-roundedness for artistic/creative subjects as well as technical subjects like physics or maths.
They ultimately want to accept people who seem like they are very interested in architecture and the general design process and have a good work ethic, so find anything which demonstrates this so you can add it onto your UCAS application and personal statement.

During the gap year, it would definitely be good if you find work experience or a part-time job related to the architecture sector, or something similar. I didn’t do a gap year, but I did do a summer job between Year 12 and 13 at a small architecture firm near where I live and it helped me greatly. I was able to add it into my personal statement and general UCAS application and actually helped me prepare for uni (I learnt autocad, which helped me speed through a part of the module in semester 2)

If you can’t find a relevant summer job near where you live (it’s hard to secure one depending on where you live) you can just learn to generally become proficient in cad programming and take part in personal hobbies which show technical skill and creativity (carpentry, sculpture, classes)

If you’re referring to any extra qualifications including before your gap year, an EPQ relevant to architecture is defo something you should do. It lowers your entry requirements and demonstrates a strong interest in the subject so you get two birds with one stone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending