The Student Room Group

GCSE Hazards Earthquake Question

Why do many people continue to live in cities which are at risk from earthquakes? I got points like fertile land, minerals, tourism and energy source.

It also asks to refer to examples which you have studied. I did Montserrat and Kobe but I can't directly find any reason to why people continue to live there. For Kobe, it is the 2nd largest urban area in Japan and lots of industry land is located there. But I think I need more points and also even more for Montserrat.

I was wondering what case studies did you do and how would you answer it? Please help even if you're not doing the same case study as me! Thanks.
Reply 1
Go for something like the fact that in Japan this is the only land that they can get.

Moreover, land tends to be cheaper there, i.e. in the paths of volcano lava flows so this means that they can get more land for their money. Some people are willing to oversee the slight problem that this land could be worthless soon for the short-term benefits of having more land.

Think about LA and San Fransisco. They are long overdue an earthquake, and it could happen at any time. Touch wood that it does not. The plate has been identified as having stress points along it, specifically close to the cities. However, they are too bigger economical epicentres of the the USA for people not to live there. The USA cannot afford to just lose all of its trade from the West Coast; therefore Earthquake resistant buildings are built etc.
Reply 2
The ground around a volcano area is very fertile and good for growing crops, so that could be a reason why someone stays in a hazardous area?
Reply 3
its all to do with risk and peoples perception of it.
It is not an easy thing to sum up but you should ask your teacher about Ulrich Becks work on risk "Risk Society" as well as others such as Hewitt and "regions of Risk".
Reply 4
How would you guys contrast the responses (btw what do they mean by responses) in general for hazards in a LEDC and MEDC

Latest

Trending

Trending