The Student Room Group

Student Loan

Hi basically if someone could help me with this that would be great. So am i entitled to student loan if im studying in college and not university? (its just not really clear) Also is it possible to only apply for maintance loan and not for tutition fee loan as if im right thats to cover the price of the course i am on but i thought that because i am under 18 thats free?

Im doing IT level 1 and level 2 next year in Wakefield College.
No, it's for university.
Reply 2
But why does gov.uk website says this: "You may be able to borrow money to help pay for university or college tuition fees and to help with living costs."?
If you're doing a higher education course at college. So like a vocational equivalent to a degree.
Reply 4
You only pay for courses at college if they are a higher level of education, for example a Higher National Diploma, as these courses are degree level but not a full degree and can be studied in a college environment. Some colleges may do loans and bursaries, but I've never heard of student finance giving money to people for college courses. You shouldn't have to pay for your course at college unless it is asked for. If you're under 18, college is free as far as I'm aware.
Hi,

I'm currently at Wakefield College doing A-levels. Whilst you can't apply for a student loan there is a student finance section in student services. I don't know much about it because I've never used it but it might be worth checking out :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by mot_o
Hi basically if someone could help me with this that would be great. So am i entitled to student loan if im studying in college and not university? (its just not really clear) Also is it possible to only apply for maintance loan and not for tutition fee loan as if im right thats to cover the price of the course i am on but i thought that because i am under 18 thats free?

Im doing IT level 1 and level 2 next year in Wakefield College.

Student Finance is for Higher Education courses, rather than Further Education. It depends on what your IT courses are classed as. Your best bet is to ask your college what funding is available for your course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending