The Student Room Group

Can you do economics at university without economics?

Hey

I'm in year 11 and I'm choosing my sixth form options and I'm thinking of doing economics at university. I've chosen physics and mathematics as my a levels and I'm thinking of doing politics as well.

So can I do economics at university without economics a level? Would there be a lot of background learning if I were to do economics at university without economics at a level.
Reply 1
Technically, you can as some universities dont require the a-level specifically. Most BA and BSc courses cover A-level content in the 1st year as well as degree level content so you will have a chance to catch up. However, it would be advisable to study it at sixth form as you need to know whether you enjoy actually learning Economics and whether you are suited to it.

-R
Yeah, you can do it at Uni without A level.
As long as you are not looking at Oxford, Cambridge or other very competitive universities.

You will likely be put into a different teaching group to the students who have studied economics at A-level though
Original post by Roha
Technically, you can as some universities dont require the a-level specifically. Most BA and BSc courses cover A-level content in the 1st year as well as degree level content so you will have a chance to catch up. However, it would be advisable to study it at sixth form as you need to know whether you enjoy actually learning Economics and whether you are suited to it.

-R

Pretty much this. Unis don't require it.

Although why don't you want to do it at Alevel? If they offer it then I would recommend you doing it just to make sure you actually enjoy it.

Quick Reply

Latest