The Student Room Group

Math, FM, phy & chem for economics degree

I feel like this is too science-y for something like economics. I didn't pick economics at a levels because I felt that reading from reading lists of universities myself would be better than taking a level economics without GCSEs since a levels and GCSEs depend on exam patterns as well

I know economics at a levels without GCSEs isn't uncommon but I just chose to self study rather than trying to risk myself with something new whose grades will affect my future. But does having 2 sciences along with maths make me slightly more disadvantaged than people who have economics or something more business-minded in their a levels?
Original post by Anonymous
I feel like this is too science-y for something like economics. I didn't pick economics at a levels because I felt that reading from reading lists of universities myself would be better than taking a level economics without GCSEs since a levels and GCSEs depend on exam patterns as well

I know economics at a levels without GCSEs isn't uncommon but I just chose to self study rather than trying to risk myself with something new whose grades will affect my future. But does having 2 sciences along with maths make me slightly more disadvantaged than people who have economics or something more business-minded in their a levels?

I'm not sure what you mean by that first paragraph, but to answer your question, it's best if you check the entry requirements and see if they have any preference. I don't know much about economics but speaking from what i generally know about the Arts, you usually don't need any specific previous qualifications to do them other than your usual GCSE English and Maths and I think some require A-Level Maths too. In which case, they'll just be looking that your grades match the entry criteria and past that, no advantage is gained from the qualification types.
The only edge I imagine can be gained from having done economics previously is the fact that they might already know more about the subject having learnt it to write more informed personal statements or interviews. But you should have a general idea of what the course entails anyway if you're planning on applying for it.
Actually thinking about it even more I don't think unis can ask for econ considering a lot of colleges don't even offer it. I know this is definitely the case with Law and why they don't require any previous qualifications to do with Law.
Hope this answers your question.
Original post by Anonymous

Some top universities for economics, eg LSE, prefer to see an essay subject among your A-levels:

"In addition to Mathematics, we are looking for subject combinations which indicate that you possess both analytical and writing abilities. Subjects which appear as common post-16 choices are Economics; Physics; History; Chemistry; English and Government and Politics, of which Economics, History, English and Government and Politics are good indicators of writing ability."
https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/degree-programmes-2024/BSc-Economics
Reply 3
Maths, Further Maths and either Physics or Chemistry with Economics would be the best option. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending