The Student Room Group

Could it be MS?

For the last month, I've been having noticeably severe headaches that started off all of a sudden one morning and haven't gone away since. They've been waking me in my sleep and are there both at night and in the morning. I went to see my doctor around 2 weeks ago who referred me to a neurologist - they did a CAT scan which came up normal and there was no sign of any tumours or bleeding. They said it was likely a status migraine which should go away with some anti-inflammatory meds + steroids. The problem is that since then the meds haven't helped and my symptoms have worsened. I've been noticing a buzzing and tingling sensation in my right leg for the last week or so, as well as weakness when walking on it - particularly in the evenings. Additionally , I've also recently developed an uncontrollable facial twitch that is occurring for the last few mornings and evenings for several hours at a time.

After making the mistake of googling my symptoms , quite a few sources pointed these out as some of the first signs of MS. Now I don't want to unnecessarily worry myself more , so the main questions I have is would MS have shown up on the original CAT scan if it was the case , and do I need to see my doctor again? I've never experienced symptoms like this before and they are significantly impairing my ability to do anything useful so not sure what to do? Is there anything else this could be other than just migraines, bearing in mind the CT scan was normal?
Original post by Anonymous
For the last month, I've been having noticeably severe headaches that started off all of a sudden one morning and haven't gone away since. They've been waking me in my sleep and are there both at night and in the morning. I went to see my doctor around 2 weeks ago who referred me to a neurologist - they did a CAT scan which came up normal and there was no sign of any tumours or bleeding. They said it was likely a status migraine which should go away with some anti-inflammatory meds + steroids. The problem is that since then the meds haven't helped and my symptoms have worsened. I've been noticing a buzzing and tingling sensation in my right leg for the last week or so, as well as weakness when walking on it - particularly in the evenings. Additionally , I've also recently developed an uncontrollable facial twitch that is occurring for the last few mornings and evenings for several hours at a time.

After making the mistake of googling my symptoms , quite a few sources pointed these out as some of the first signs of MS. Now I don't want to unnecessarily worry myself more , so the main questions I have is would MS have shown up on the original CAT scan if it was the case , and do I need to see my doctor again? I've never experienced symptoms like this before and they are significantly impairing my ability to do anything useful so not sure what to do? Is there anything else this could be other than just migraines, bearing in mind the CT scan was normal?

No-one here can diagnose you, it could be MS but it could be a fair number of other things too. As far as I'm aware MS doesn't show up on CT scans (I think normally diagnosed through MRI) but someone might be able to correct me on that. What I would say is that your symptoms seem to be getting worse pretty quickly and you need to see your GP again ASAP and tell them how things have escalated as whatever the cause it needs looking into before things get any worse. It might not be anything serious but it needs checking. Also googling symptoms is never a good idea as you've probably worked out by now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous

It's easy to get worried by things you read online according to your symptoms, when in reality there are many many possible causes. Unfortunately, Google seems to more often than not direct people to the worst or most long-term diseases so it's very easy to get worried.

Headaches aren't considered to be a symptom of MS, but studies have shown migraines are more commonly experienced by those with MS. Regarding your migraines, often these can take a long time to resolve and medication may need to be changed several times before an improvement is seen, so it's possible that this isn't the right combination for you, or that your meds need to be taken for a little longer to work. Buzzing, tingling and pins-and-needles sensations in your legs are a possible symptom of MS but could also point to many other neurological conditions. Without tests, it's impossible to suggest what this could be. MS diagnosis is a lengthy and complicated process and there are many other possible diseases that share similar symptoms. Sometimes when patients present with this sort of complaint, a clear cause can't be found and it goes away on its own eventually.

The bottom line is if your symptoms are worsening, then you absolutely do need to see your GP again. As you say, this is significantly affecting you and you're obviously (and understandably) very worried about the situation, and judging by your description of your symptoms this does need further investigation.

Original post by furryface12
No-one here can diagnose you, it could be MS but it could be a fair number of other things too. As far as I'm aware MS doesn't show up on CT scans (I think normally diagnosed through MRI) but someone might be able to correct me on that. What I would say is that your symptoms seem to be getting worse pretty quickly and you need to see your GP again ASAP and tell them how things have escalated as whatever the cause it needs looking into before things get any worse. It might not be anything serious but it needs checking. Also googling symptoms is never a good idea as you've probably worked out by now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, MRI is used to look for lesions associated with MS. CT may or may not show up some sort of spots if lesions are present but MRI gives a much more detailed view of the brain. Usually it's diagnosed through neurological exam, lumbar puncture, and then a certain number of lesions must be found through an MRI.

Quick Reply

Latest